Shop Air Cooler/Dryer - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Behind The Garage Door For your garage / shop including tools & equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Shop Air Cooler/Dryer

I finally bit the bullet and bought a compressor that'll give enough CFM of air to keep up with my high volume tools like orbital sanders and so on. I used to do a lot of sandblasting and painting but life has had me running in different directions so I'm setting up to do all of that again as well. I have all of my old paint guns and pots (used to do heavy equipment, semi's and semi-trailers so used a paint pot a lot) and sandblast pots, guns and so on except that I sold my old blast cabinet so am probably going to go with an HFT cabinet and do the Tacoma Company upgrade (Tacoma Company).

I struggled with what to use for shop plumbing but finally decided to go with the 100' 3/4" Maxline kit that Northern tool has on sale right now. I can't do the same amount of plumbing in copper (my preference) or black iron pipe for what the kits costs and all of the reviews tend to be very favorable. I'm putting a regulator and a water separator right out of the compressor for mainline pressure and filter/regulator at each drop. The compressor I bought is Northern Tools NorthStar 7.5 HP 80 Gal. that produces 24.4 CFM at 90 psi and it has some air cooling built in but to get moisture out the better you cool the air the more moisture you can get out. One of the shops I worked in had an air cooler that was basically several pipes running up and down the wall with drains in each "U" at the bottom so I started digging and came across several DIY coolers and the one I lean towards is in a YouTube video at

There are several others as well and building an air dryer is new territory for me so I'm looking for advice, ideas and so on. I did our shop and terminal years ago using type L copper and it has been great so no problem putting the thing together, just need to make sure what I build works.

Does anyone have any ideas, etc.?

07 GMC Sierra Classic (LBZ) Duramax Dually Crewcab 4X4, FASS Titanium 95, Ohio Diesel Parts Tank Sump, bypass engine oil filter, synthetic lubes; 84 Chevy 6.2L 1.25 Ton (Army CUCV) with Banks Sidewinder Turbo and Gear Vendor's Overdrive; 83 Chevy Suburban 6.2L 4X4; Retired Journeyman Heavy Duty Truck Mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:33 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
@TexasRedNeck didnít you just do something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT CCLB 4x4

Mods: EGR block, EFI LIVE by Rob (DSP5), Edge Insight CTS2 w/ backup cam and EGT probe, Pacer 07.5+ smoked cab lights, M-A Pump rub fix, TransGo Jr w/ Mike L springs, Russell stainless brake lines.

My Build Thread
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Lot's of experience on the site here and still hoping to get some ideas. My experience is all with installing a system to someone else's specs and I really don't want to spend a bunch of time and money and then find out after the fact there was a better way. I sure would appreciate any feedback.

07 GMC Sierra Classic (LBZ) Duramax Dually Crewcab 4X4, FASS Titanium 95, Ohio Diesel Parts Tank Sump, bypass engine oil filter, synthetic lubes; 84 Chevy 6.2L 1.25 Ton (Army CUCV) with Banks Sidewinder Turbo and Gear Vendor's Overdrive; 83 Chevy Suburban 6.2L 4X4; Retired Journeyman Heavy Duty Truck Mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Shop Air Cooler/Dryer

Heres mine, havenít used it much yet, but it seems to be working well. I havenít ran anything through the shop yet, still trying to decide if I want to use copper or the RapidAir stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007.5 LMM CCSB LTZ
5" Flo-Pro Straight Pipe and Downpipe
SDP EGR Delete
EFI Live DSP 5 from Danville Performance
Trans-Go Jr.
Kryptonite Stainless Steering/UCA
AirDogII-165
Edge Insight CTS
AFE Metal CAI
Rancho 4" Lift

Last edited by reddogg121212; 11-18-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in