Dpf delete w/o tune? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Build Threads Post Your Build Threads & Progress!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Dpf delete w/o tune?

Hey guys. Recently bought an 09 Chevy 2500. It's all pretty well stock w the exception of having the dpf deleted. I'm getting pretty terrible mileage. 14.6mpg empty on the freeway, and around 10.5 towing around 5k. It runs and drives well for how many miles are on it, just bad mileage. I guess my question is could the previous owner have done the delete without properly programming the ecm? There is no physical tuner in the truck, and it feels pretty sluggish. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:23 PM

To answer your question in short No not that I'm aware of. I'm willing to bet he prolly used an H&S tuner and just took the module to sell it separate if it was a trade-in. Personally i would just get new tunes for the truck so you know whats going on or reach out to the previous owner if that's feasible and see if he can give you any info. Regardless i would get new tunes so you have the ability to set the tune to whichever you see fit. My personal experience is I get the best MPG's out of the higher HP tunes & change the tune if towing heavily.
Sierraluva likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. What would you recommend for tuner? Another h&s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Getting harder and harder to find tunes for the 07.5 & up. I'd recommend motor ops out of Canada. I have also recently heard some good things from a guy in Canada that has a shop called Optimal welding. Stay away from H&S.
Sierraluva likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:53 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djb198110 View Post
Hey guys. Recently bought an 09 Chevy 2500. It's all pretty well stock w the exception of having the dpf deleted. I'm getting pretty terrible mileage. 14.6mpg empty on the freeway, and around 10.5 towing around 5k. It runs and drives well for how many miles are on it, just bad mileage. I guess my question is could the previous owner have done the delete without properly programming the ecm? There is no physical tuner in the truck, and it feels pretty sluggish. Any help would be great.
There is no way i am aware of to delete the DPF without either lighting up the dash with codes, or tuning the truck. Those are the only two options i know of. If you do not tune it, you will end up in reduced speed mode so this is not very likely to be. Your truck is tuned.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:16 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Check out what denarli6.6 suggested

I wish mine would get that terrible of mileage empty and towing.
12.6 empty city/little highway 9-10 towing, my truck weighs 8450 empty.
If your going by the instant DIC mileage, that's your first mistake.
It will not even be close to accurate until you have several hundred miles since the last reset, and you still need to hand calculate for mileage.
The DIC is for entertainment purposes only.

My guess is:
Sluggish could be dirty airfilter and fuel filter needs replaced, a few things to check out.
You can NOT delete any emissions crap without proper delete tuning programming.

Anyway to track down the previous owner, maybe thru who you bought it from to find out what tuning you have?

The tuning could very well be EFI, any handheld device any tuner could have been used to load the tune.
EFI is the easiest to install and you do NOT have to put the vehicle back to stock to use the tuner on another vehicle, like most if not all can tuners.

The big concerns for me running high hp for better mileage, is that couple tenths gain really worth issues that come with adding more hp than the drive train has to handle.

A couple of tenths was the only gains I had with bigger hp tunes.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 11-12-2019 at 02:30 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I always calculate mileage. My truck is pretty bare bones as far as accessories goes. Rubber floors, crank windows(in a crew cab, wtf?) No fuel dic . I have a new k&n air filter& fresh fuel filter. It's just a total turd in the power dept. It'll barely break traction. I'm guessing it's just tired and worn out.370k on it
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:49 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djb198110 View Post
I always calculate mileage. My truck is pretty bare bones as far as accessories goes. Rubber floors, crank windows(in a crew cab, wtf?) No fuel dic . I have a new k&n air filter& fresh fuel filter. It's just a total turd in the power dept. It'll barely break traction. I'm guessing it's just tired and worn out.370k on it

It may just need a proper tune to wake it back up. Theres lots of trucks on here hitting those miles with power to spare. Odds are shes not clapped out unless the previous owner either failed to do reasonable maintenance, or just beat the hell out of the truck whenever he could.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

At the end of the day it is just a work truck. I don't really want to make any crazy power that'll hurt it, but a little more would be nice. I know an overhaul is in the near future. Hopefully I can get another year out of her before then
Attached Images

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

You familiar w wagler performance? He's a pretty big name here in Indiana. Does a lot of tractor pulling. Anyways his shop is pretty close. I may just let the pro's handle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode