Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Matt's 2015 engine rebuild/upgrade

409K views 5K replies 107 participants last post by  TexasRedNeck 
#1 · (Edited)
So I guess I'll be starting a build thread to document when and what happens to my truck and engine as things progress. Wasn't planning on starting building now already, had wanted to wait till I take my truck off the road, but I holed a piston last week, so... The truck currently has 170K miles, I run 80-90K a year. My plan is to upgrade the internals, and to get the engine running cooler while towing. I don't want to sacrifice reliability, so I won't be doing everything I had originally planned to do. I'll have to wait till I retire the truck to do an all-out engine build... Feel free to chime in with advice/suggestions...

Here is what I currently have done to the truck:

-S&B intake
-5" downpipe back no-muffler exhaust
-Kory's tunes
-Airdog II 4G
-CTS2 moniter

Plans are to add:
-Fingers oval bowl pistons
-Thought about doing Carrillo rods, but since I won't be building a high horspower application, I thought I'd wait to do that till the truck retires, and I do a full build. I can use the money on something else. Think that'll be alright?
-CP3 over CP4 : Maybe, thoughts? Wait for this till later?
-ARP head studs
-SDP S475 over stock turbo : Will I have to use the SDP intake and coolant tank with their twin kit?
-Will be putting together an oil cooler system, not sure where I'll mount it yet, would like to mount it in the front, but there's not much place there, so might have to mount it underneath somewhere with fan...
-Maybe upgraded intercooler??

So what are your thoughts? I'm still in the planning stage, and need to make some calls tomorrow morning to make sure I'm on the right track. I'll be doing the build myself. I hope to start teardown on Tuesday or Wednesday...

As she sits right now...

See less See more
#4 ·
That is a 2015 twin kit Scott did. I believe I seen this one in person when he was putting it together. Visit his site or give him a call to see what options you have as far as coolant tank, hotside pipe, up pipes and manifolds, and the obvious color choice.

#8 ·
Rather than a cp3 over the cp4 I would start with a 10mm CP3 in the valley. Should be enough fuel for 700hp and the cp3 in the valley is much more reliable.

#11 ·
I don't know what kinda power you are looking for but I'd say the best bet is a stock cp3 in the valley and if that's not enough fuel go with a duel fuel with a stock over stock since you are going for reliability ! Definitely don't put a cp4 back in there haha good luck and I'm subbing for sure .......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 56taskforce
#12 · (Edited)
How much power would a stock CP3/stock CP3 + Airdog support? My future build will be for big power, and upgraded sticks, so I'm kinda thinking just leave the CP4 in there for now, and if it takes everything out, then that would be the lightening from heaven saying dual fuelers/sticks...

#14 ·
Definitely one way to look at it

#13 ·
Subd

Reactions: Rbgahagan
#16 ·
Me personally, if your building the motor, I wouldnt put a cp4 back on it and risk it grenading and taking the rest of the fuel system. It's not cheap and won't be easy on the wallet after an engine build. A stock cp3 can support over 600. I would put a cp3 or sportsman pump in the valley and if you need more fuel then throw a stock one on with it.

#19 ·
From what I understand even stock cp3 will produce slightly more power than a CP4 because it is a higher flowing pump. As mentioned even on stock sticks you should be able to make a reliable 600hp.

#21 ·
A healthy stock cp3 will do high 600s. The lmls injectors will support around 700 give or take. A modded cp3 and stock lml injectors will put you in the high 600s low 7s. The cp4 is a lower volume higher pressure pump, the cp3 is lower pressure but moves much more volume. Cp4 limits you to around 530 or so. Some have squeezed more out of them but most sir around the 500 530 mark with a max effort tune

#22 ·
Sounds like a stock CP3 is the way to go right now, and add another one down the road. If you run one stock, one modded, does it matter which one is where, ie. valley/on top?

Talked with Scott, Larry, and John today and we're cooking up an engine. Gonna order my color chips tonight and try to get as close a match as possible to the Cobalt Blue on the truck for the SDP twins...

#23 · (Edited)
It sounds like you are on the right track: would do stock CP3 in the valley (for now) and then add a dual fueler (second stock CP3) whenever you decide to go big.

Another suggestion, I would go ahead and do the Carrillo rods now. Just build it once and then be done. I think in the initial post you mentioned doing stock rods now and then carrillo rods when you go big. I would just build it right the first time rather than spending money a second time going back in to do Carrillo rods.

Of course, you can do what you want, just my .02 cents about it.

Reactions: 07Dmaxx93
#26 ·
Larry from Danville suggested the same things, as wells as get some valve reliefs right now to keep from having to redo the pistons down the road... Makes sense...

You plan on building yours?

#30 ·
Nice shop man! You didn't even brush the snow off first lol

#31 ·
I wish, lol, but hope to build one this year sometime. I currently have a 36x60 uninsulated that is great during the summer, but don't cut it in 0 degree weather! Gotta have them heated floors when you get down on your back!! :) its my cousin's...

#36 ·
Unless you have an eidetic memory make sure to take lots of pics and label everything lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.