Duramaxsky's build thread - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Build Threads Post Your Build Threads & Progress!

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Duramaxsky's build thread

The truck is an LB7 2003 2500HD ECSB with LS trim. Arrival Blue. Well most of the building is done. It has the CTS with tunes but I want to get EFI. It has a Banks intercooler and tubes plus the big head valve. An Airaid CAI. 4" Stainless exhaust. An Airdog lift pump. 18" MB Predator chrome wheels with Cooper HT 275R65-18 tires. It has 3" lowering shackles and the bolts all the way out. The plastic on the front bumper and the mud flaps are color matched. It has a Transferflow 45 gallon tank. There is more but I don't remember what right now. Here's how it looks.
Attached Images

Matt
Support the 2nd amendment. When seconds count the cops are minutes away.

2003 ext cab LS Arrival Blue Edge CTS2 Insight. EFI Live by Lincoln Diesel Specialties. 45% over SAC injectors. Banks inter cooler and big head Airaid CAI Transfer Flow 45 GAL 4" exhaust 18" MB preditor chrome with Cooper 275/65/18 Air Dog 165 & lots of other goodies
1998 Corvette coupe Black
2008 Corvette Vert Jetstream Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Anyway after I lowered it I discovered it rode like crap towing my travel trailer. It only has about 3" of travel in the rear. Add the canopy and all the gear plus the trailer even with an easlift hitch it is only about 1". So it hit the bump stops on every bump. So I got some air bags. But they go where the bump stops are and won't fit on a lowered truck. So I made some brackets to move them inside the frame and raise them up 2". The bump stops will hit 1/2" before the bags bottom out now. The brackets are made with 3" x 1/4 flat bar to bolt to the frame under the bump stops. 2" x 1/4 flat bar to raise it up. 5" x 1/4 flat bar for the bag mounts. All are 7" long. All angles are 90 degrees. 1 1/2" x 1/4 flat bar is used to brace each end and a 2" x 2" x 1/4 piece with a 1" x 1" notch is used on each end for a gusset. My welds look like crap but will hold. The lower brackets sit on the shock mounts now so I added 2 pieces of 1 1/2" x 1/4 flat bar to the bottom of each to attach to the shock mounts. If I want to raise it back up all I would need to do is remove the top brackets and cut off the flat bar from the lower mounts and grind them flat. Then install them as designed. Here are some photos of the brackets.
Attached Images

DirtEmax-USMC likes this.

Matt

2003 ext cab LS Arrival Blue Edge CTS2 Insight. EFI Live by Lincoln Diesel Specialties. 45% over SAC injectors. Banks inter cooler and big head Airaid CAI Transfer Flow 45 GAL 4" exhaust 18" MB preditor chrome with Cooper 275/65/18 Air Dog 165 & lots of other goodies

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
More photos of the brackets.
Attached Images

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
The frame is reinforced there so I am not worried about the flange bending. The brake line bracket needs to be moved up so I made a bracket for that. I also installed my Kryptonite lines at the same time. They make the pedal much more firm. The brakes feel more like the brakes in my Corvettes.
Attached Images

Matt

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
I knocked the studs out of the bump stops and replaced them with 1 1/2 "x 3/8 grade 8 bolts to hold the brackets on. The bolt holes were marked by clamping them in place and tracing from the top with a sharpie. A paper template was made to mark the hole for the bump stop guide pin. Here are the brackets installed on the top.
Attached Images

Matt

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
The holes for the brackets that came with the air bags line up with the holes in the frame. They are placed to make the bags straight side to side. Here they are installed. The parking brake cable was a pain with the big tank. I just tucked it above the air bags top plate. It seems to work OK like that.
Attached Images

Matt

Last edited by duramaxsky; 08-29-2016 at 09:42 PM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
The bottom bracket flat bar is bolted to the shock mounts with 5/16 bolts.
Attached Images

Matt

Last edited by duramaxsky; 08-30-2016 at 05:36 AM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
I used the Smart Air leveling system. I mounted the compressor and dump valve above the spare tire. The height sensor is on the left side. It is set so it has basically no air at normal ride height. If I sit on the tail gate it will go up about 1/4". It should ride at the same height when loaded.
Attached Images

M.A.M. likes this.

Matt

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
I had to modify the exauhast to clear. I cut a small pie slice out of the curve for the tail pipe and rotated the pipe in the muffler. That moved the bend over the axle towards the middle of the truck. Then I moved the rear hanger. Then I installed the heat shield that came with the kit.
Attached Images

1TRIKHD and Blue06Sierra like this.

Matt

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Great start matt

2006 Victory Red CCLB LT3 LBZ
Tuned by Blake Crenshaw
SDP Fully Built Trans w/ Billet Goerend G Converter
S472 SX-E.87/1.0ar sitting on a Wagler street intake W/ a twisted pedestal
Stock Sticks
Special thanks to Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance
Blake with Unleashed Duramax tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode