The White Whale Build Thread - Page 9 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Build Threads Post Your Build Threads & Progress!

268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman64 View Post
So decided to go with the Husky floor mats over the Weathertechs. Had the Weathertechs in my last truck, and wasn't impressed with the fit, so decided to try something else. Must say, the fit on the Husky's is amazing, would def buy them again, have a tons of spikes on the bottom so they don't move at all.

Ran down to the local Riebes (Napa) on my lunch break today to get thermostats (more on that later) and picked up a air filter while I was there...

So onto coolant/thermostats. Whenever I get a vehicle I try and go through it and flush everything, so I have a baseline on it, and have quality fluids in it. That being said, I noticed on my 800 mile drive home the temp gauge was moving around a lot. From the readings on the guage, it was bouncing between 180 and 205. Well since I picked up the Insight yesterday, I plugged it in to see what the temps were (assuming the temp gauge was as inaccurate as the one on the LB7). So on the way to work this morning truck hit about 170 when I hopped on the highway, but then dropped down to 155-165 and never really warmed up. Ambient air temp was around 25-30 degrees. After seeing the temp drop, figured i had bad therms and since I wanted to flush the coolant might as well replace them.

Didnt take any pics when I had it apart, but here the pic on re-assembly...

So, after looking around for a few minutes for the drain, I hopped online and read a few things that the LMM doesnt have one. Doh! Pulled the clip on the lower rad hose and drained the coolant the messy way. Once it was buttoned back up, warmed her up, burped it, and went for a test drive. Warmed right up and stayed at temp! Did notice that when the truck is at operating temp (180-185 according to the Edge Insight) the temp gauge on the dash was reading just under 210, so good to know where the needle should be at least... Be curious to see if I get a little better MPG with the motor running at temp instead of 160ish...

And right before I called it a night in the shop, had a Kuiu sticker laying on my toolbox, and the back window was looking a little naked, so...

Need to find some paint to match my pillar so I can get this stuff installed... Prolly will wait till next year as I'm having my annual big NYE bash and have a ton of tractor work and wood to get cut...

And these will get put on Feb 1st when the Dmax Store throw my Cognito lift on...
What lift did you end up going with? I will hopefully be lifting mine this year too and was thinking of having the D MAX store do it. Did they give you a deal? I keep hearing mixed reviews on those guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to novaman64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxuser View Post
What lift did you end up going with? I will hopefully be lifting mine this year too and was thinking of having the D MAX store do it. Did they give you a deal? I keep hearing mixed reviews on those guys.
Cognito 4-6", standard torsion bar drop. Reason I went with that instead of the NTBD is because its cheaper, and because I had the Fox shocks off of my old trucks that had a 4.5" BDS lift, and the front shocks wouldn't work with the NTBD lift. That being said in a year or 2, if I need the additional ground clearance, and/or when its time to replace the shocks, you can get the NTBD conversion for $500 and convert the standard lift.

I went with a different company on my old truck, not going to mention names, but the service was horrible. The Dmax Store has some of the best customer service their is, and is extremely knowledgeable about lifts; answered any and all questions on the spot. Im not getting a deal (but they do have the best prices on Cognito lifts I could find), but when I bought my LB7, it had injector issues and the dmax store customer service is what has me continually going back to them.

The dealer had given me a aftermarket warranty on my LB7, turns out the injectors were cracked and leaking fuel into the crank case (not to mention balance rates were all whacked). Brought it in, fought with the insurance company over whether or not they would cover injectors, while it was in the shop, Mike (the owner @dmaxstore) had given me his cell phone, and was dealing with the insurance company and getting my truck fixed over a 3 day weekend, when their shop was closed and he was on vacation. That kind of communication and customer service is priceless, and will keep my continued business....

-Jimmy (aka DmaxStoreJimmy)
08' Silverado 3500HD CCLB LMM 4x4 - Build Thread
02' Silverado 2500HD CCLB LB7 4x4 - RIP 12/15/2016

#1 member 3500 LB SRW Club

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
DURAMAX ONLY STORE 1-877-4MY-DMAX

Last edited by novaman64; 01-22-2017 at 12:24 PM.
post #83 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I cant wait either. They wont fit till the lift goes on though... The small 265's I have on it now rub when I am at full lock... So Feb 1st it is...

I feel like the oddball on the forum running big sidewalls, the 20's look nice, but with it being a 1 ton, and the amount of firetrails and shitty roads I drive on, I wanted as much sidewall as I could get, almost went down to a 16" rim....

It's coming along nicely. I'll be the oddball w/ya on large sidewalls. I've always preferred them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
novaman64 likes this.

'06 LBZ / Edge Evolution / 6" Lift / 35" Rubbers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Cognito 4-6", standard torsion bar drop. Reason I went with that instead of the NTBD is because its cheaper, and because I had the Fox shocks off of my old trucks that had a 4.5" BDS lift, and the front shocks wouldn't work with the NTBD lift. That being said in a year or 2, if I need the additional ground clearance, and/or when its time to replace the shocks, you can get the NTBD conversion for $500 and convert the standard lift.

I went with a different company on my old truck, not going to mention names, but the service was horrible. The Dmax Store has some of the best customer service their is, and is extremely knowledgeable about lifts; answered any and all questions on the spot. Im not getting a deal (but they do have the best prices on Cognito lifts I could find), but when I bought my LB7, it had injector issues and the dmax store customer service is what has me continually going back to them.

The dealer had given me a aftermarket warranty on my LB7, turns out the injectors were cracked and leaking fuel into the crank case (not to mention balance rates were all whacked). Brought it in, fought with the insurance company over whether or not they would cover injectors, while it was in the shop, Mike (the owner @dmaxstore) had given me his cell phone, and was dealing with the insurance company and getting my truck fixed over a 3 day weekend, when their shop was closed and he was on vacation. That kind of communication and customer service is priceless, and will keep my continued business....

Well that's good to hear since I only live 4 miles from their store I'll try them. Thanks for the info.

-Tyler 05, Crew Cab, 6.6, SLE, 4x4, EFI LIVE tuning by ROB, 7-9" Cognito lift kit installed by DMAX store and set all the way down at 7, 20 x 12.5 Moto Metal 962 -44 offset with Nito Ridgegrapplers 35 x 12.5, bilstien 5100 shocks, New Interior LED's, MBRP 4" exhaust, S&B mouth Piece and intake.
post #85 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxuser View Post
Well that's good to hear since I only live 4 miles from their store I'll try them. Thanks for the info.
Very cool. Should see if we can get them to have a open house one night, be fun to meet up with a bunch of the local forum guys. I take you are in Placerville or Diamond Springs... I am up in Camino, and work in Pville, so pretty close for me too.

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
post #86 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerigger View Post
Get that exhaust yet? Take some pics for me, in particular the front pipe. I want to see how they have it designed up by the vband. Also if your truck has the hanger on the trans and you get it mounted I'd like to see how much clearance you have with the exhaust on the tbar crossmember and the rest of the crossmember and whatnot. I'm not pleased with my mbrp
@Minerigger

Here is the pic of the Magnaflow 5" front pipe...

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM

Last edited by novaman64; 07-10-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #87 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
So woke up to no power this morning, decided to make a nice strong french press coffee and head out to the shop and get my chest box mounted. Felt naked driving around without tools and all my other crap....

Got it bolted down nice and tight, same way my other box was. When I wrecked my other truck, tow truck driver said thanks for bolting in the box good, said most the time a truck is rolled the boxes pop out and open up, and he has to clean tools and crap off the highway. So its in, tools, chains, binders, bolt cutters, jacks, jumper cables, d-rings, snatchblocks, come-a-long, tarps and all my other crap is in there. Semi-organized so I can find stuff without having to dig too much.

Just as I was finished the power came back on... Yay, now I can drink beer and watch football...

In other news, if you are going to keep syringes and ammo in your truck and other stuff for doctoring animals on the ranch, keep them in a zipped bag or something, the highway patrol got a little edgey when he found a bunch of ammo all over the highway and syringes, explained they were for livestock and the ammo was for my 223 and 40cal that i have a CCW for... Finally settled down after he saw some of my ropin ropes and other stuff.. LOL

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM

Last edited by novaman64; 07-10-2017 at 06:47 PM.
post #88 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Sub dub

2006 Victory Red CCLB LT3 LBZ
Tuned by Blake Crenshaw
SDP Fully Built Trans w/ Billet Goerend G Converter
S472 SX-E.87/1.0ar sitting on a Wagler street intake W/ a twisted pedestal
Stock Sticks
Special thanks to Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance
Blake with Unleashed Duramax tuning
post #89 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:02 PM
AJH
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I think you need a bigger chest. If I happened to have my truck searched it would put a cop on edge, extra mags for Days.
TDavis1992 likes this.

Adam

2008 GMC RCLB 6.0/6l90e stock for now
Gone
2006 Chevy CCSB
Moonshine, Trans, Supporting mods
2005 Chevy RCLB
Ppe hot race,leveled, 35x12.50s on h2s
post #90 of 638 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH View Post
I think you need a bigger chest. If I happened to have my truck searched it would put a cop on edge, extra mags for Days.
I normally have 2-3mags for my 40 (my CCW pistol) in the console, then in a go-bag under the back seat have a few hundred rounds of 40 in boxes, and then there is normally 223 and 30-30 ammo floating around the cab, as I have either my old lever action or bolt gun depending on which property im going to...

I like that chest size... fits all my crap in it, and then I can put gas cans on the side and they dont move around. Not to mention still have access on the side when I put a side by side or motorcycle in the back so I can tie down....

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode