hdrolling, L5P sport Dually build - Page 15 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Build Threads Post Your Build Threads & Progress!

475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEP View Post
hdrolling, jusr ready through your build thread. I had seen the lighting threads earlier. Great looking truck. Great job on all the installs also. I do have a question about the Boost Auto jumpers. Bought both for the 6 high and the mrror lights coming on in reverse. Do your fogs come on automatic with the DRL? I was hoping that this is the function, I hate to need to manually turn on the fogs every time i drive.

Also, I noticed in the last couple of days, you seem to be unhappy about the Morimoto fogs and the low beams, and you discussed in the other thread that I should use LED in the high beams. Have you researched those yet or do you have a reccomendation? As I see it, you can buy them anywhere and everywhere. I too in my last truck had the DDS HIDs and really liked them. The only time I had an issue with one not coming on when I started the truck was when one of my batteries was low and needed replacing. Found that odd, but it solved the light issue.

Anyway, thanks for all the information you have in your thread. It helps when you have done it and can give the true report on how it works.

Bill
With the boost kit you still need to turn on your fogs, they just stay on when you turn on your highs.

As far as the morimoto fogs, they work very well as intended. They light up the road great, but for me, I like to run my fogs all the time. So day and night I turn on my low beams and fogs, the issue I had with the morimoto fogs is that during the day other drivers can't tell that the fogs are on. For me it's just a looks thing, I want the truck to stand out day and night and the morimoto fogs didn't work for me.

If you only use your fogs at night for light than they work perfect and well worth the money.

Here is a video about the new latest and greatest Morimoto 2storoke 2.0 LEDs that are suppose to be some of the best out right now.

In the vid they demonstrate with dodge ram head lights but if you watch all the way to end where they show that in a projector type light the LED lows actually were less bright than a stock halogen bulb.

A lot of the top name venders won't even offer LED lights for low beams in the newer Silverado trucks because they don't work well, the venders that do sell them just don't care and want to make money.

Here is the video, and like I said in the other post you can install what you want these are just the way I run mine.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

My build thread https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/b...lly-build.html

GM DRW club member #224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Okay, did some redneck engineering and installed my factory park sensors. The warning popping up on my DIC was getting annoying!

I might not have installed them in the best place but it was easy and they work better than nothing.

I also hated that I wasted the money for some good diode dynamics LED bulbs in my factory fog lights and wasn't using them.

So with a few zip ties I found a spot to mount them in my bumper, they will not help at all while driving but I though they looked cool so there you have it.

At least I'll be able to run them while driving on the highway, my rigids are too bright to run with on coming traffic so those will only be used on the back roads like when I use my high beams.
Attached Images

dlsolo and jdwarren like this.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

GM DRW club member #224
post #143 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Ain't lookin' back

Garage
Damn that looks good!
hdrolling likes this.

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country - Graphite - CC/LB DRW 4x4 (L5P)
R.I.P. Julie the Dually - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC/LB DRW 4x4 (LML)

DF DRW Club Member #237
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:27 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Good work hd! Looks sick man. I really like a white truck lol
hdrolling likes this.

2006 LBZ 2500 CCSB 2WD
EFI LIVE, DSP5, Edge CTS & EGT probe, PPE airbox mod, AFE hotside pipe, PPE manifolds/uppipes, MBRP DP, MBRP 4" side dumped, Sinister coldside pipe, pcv reroute, Beans sump, Kennedy lift pump, dual filters, coolant bypass filtration, Nuc Motorsports Oil Bypass kit, LML 20s & 265/60R20s, tint, LEDS, some chrome
ALABAMA LBZ Build Thread
post #145 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAWHISTLER View Post
Good work hd! Looks sick man. I really like a white truck lol
Thanks, I'm really happy with the way it's turning out so far.
Attached Images

CDmax16 likes this.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

GM DRW club member #224
post #146 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Well I decided I'm going to ditch the Morimoto elite silverado HID set up, I had a bulb go bad a couple weeks ago and now a ballast on the other side.

TRS takes car of warranty issue without question but there is down time waiting for replacement parts.

After reading countless threads on all different types of forums it seems morimoto kits have a know quality issue over the last few years with their ballast and igniters, it seems that so many of their kits are sold that they don't mind sending out warranty parts all the time.

I've narrowed the new setup down to a retrofit kit from Light werks, I'm going to swap out the OEM projectors for some Morimoto mini DS2 5.0's and then the kit uses Hylux ballast instead of morimoto.

I just want a more reliable setup and it looks like Hylux has less issues with ballasts than morimoto does, I could just swap out the ballast with my current setup but I've been wanting to upgrade from the factory projectors so it makes sense to just get the whole kit.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

GM DRW club member #224
post #147 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

fastheadlights has a complete kit that looks good.
hdrolling likes this.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
post #148 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDmax16 View Post
fastheadlights has a complete kit that looks good.
fastheadlights and lightwerkz both have about the same kit, they just have their own versions of a silverado adapter.

I'm still reading up on the two shops before I make a purchase tomorrow, but so far I have been seeing a lot more reviews and people talking about the LW kit.

Fastheadlights does have this excellent Youtube install vid with the older D2S 4.0 projectors, I'm sure the new 5.0 projectors fit the same. From what I've read the main difference is the 5.0 has a new lens coating.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

GM DRW club member #224
post #149 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Ordered the Lightwerkz retrofit kit after one of my Morimoto lights didn't work this morning.

It started working later on but I think the cold is messing it up.

Time to try something new!
Attached Images

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

GM DRW club member #224
post #150 of 622 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:23 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

hd are you gonna do a rear aftermarket bumper later on? with shackles and leds?

2006 LBZ 2500 CCSB 2WD
EFI LIVE, DSP5, Edge CTS & EGT probe, PPE airbox mod, AFE hotside pipe, PPE manifolds/uppipes, MBRP DP, MBRP 4" side dumped, Sinister coldside pipe, pcv reroute, Beans sump, Kennedy lift pump, dual filters, coolant bypass filtration, Nuc Motorsports Oil Bypass kit, LML 20s & 265/60R20s, tint, LEDS, some chrome
ALABAMA LBZ Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode