Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

hdrolling, L5P sport Dually build

146K views 1K replies 68 participants last post by  viper8315 
#1 ·
I'm going to try to keep updating the progress of the parts I'm installing on my '18 dually.

List so far:
Morimoto 6500k 35w HID headlights
Morimoto LED fog lights
Black Anzo LED tail lights
Black RECON LED third brake light
diode dynamics LED reverse and license plate lights
20" black Mayhem 8101 Monstir wheels
LT275/65R20 Toyo Open Country A/T II
Spiked lugs
Pace Edwards tonneau
Black bowtie front/rear

Attachments

See less See more
#682 ·
Looks like the 2020 center light requires some cutting if you want to install them on an older truck that already has holes. I knew the 2020 had a third center mount but I was going to cut it off, but someone just shared a pic and the 2020 end mounts a closer in than the 2018 mounts.

So it looks like since I'll have to trim the holes for the end mounts I might a swell cut out the center mount hole as well.

2020 light on top, 2018 on bottom. Time to break out the dremel!

#683 ·
Decided to try out a Recon "scanning" third brake light, has a little night rider LED strip at the top that scans in and out when the brakes are applied.

Just wanted to try something new, this is the third truck I've used the recon third brake lights on and never had an issue.

Posted this to an L5P facebook group and owners are angry, seems no one is a fan of recon products! I just buy what I like, it it fails or leaks I'll repair or replace. Not too worried.

The top scanning piece isn't too bright during the day.

Recon scanning

#685 ·
I put Recon taillights and third brake light on my truck and really like the looks. Then one day I started getting hyper flash on the right side and a message saying I had bulb out in the rear (or something like that). I called Recon on a Monday morning and had a replacement resistor on Wednesday. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue so I put my stock lights back in until I have time to figure it out. I have had issues with hyper flash since I changed out all my turn signals to led, even with resistors.

#687 ·
I am not sure, I haven't given up on them I just need some time to work on it.

Reactions: hdrolling
#688 ·
I love the attitude of "I like it and I will make it work or change it". To many are just ready to badmouth a product if it is not perfect, if you change these new vehicles from any factory piece you have to have time and patience to get what you want and like!! Your Truck is toooooooo Coool! keep up the Mods! The tails are nice!

#689 ·
When are you getting to Reno?
I just found something in my office for you.

#690 ·
A huge pile of money??? LOL , I am not sure trying to make sense of my trips.

#693 ·
I taped off and only did the reflectors, I did three coats on each. It turned darker after it dried, should have only gone with two coats.

Just passed NC inspection so I guess i'm good, went on a cloudy day so that helped.

#696 ·
Paypal voted in my favor and refunded me for the missing center 2020 cab light today, tracking shows it still hasn't been seen since July 19. Ordered another one from a different dealer today, waiting to see if I get this one.

#697 ·
Was it shipped USPS or other? I ask because over the past 5 weeks, I've had 3 boxes go missing and had to do claims through paypal and amazon!

BTW, seriously jealous of your progress man! Truck looks amazing. Hope you and fam are doing well.

#700 ·
Second cab light, ordered Aug 15th from Taska parts and it arrived today. The first set from another dealer still hasn't been seen since July 19th.

Should be able to get to this in the morning, I'm going to make a template tonight so I can get to it a little quicker tomorrow.

Should just have to extend the side holes in a little and cut a middle hole, rewire the plug and silicone the hell out of the new cuts. Maybe put some paint on the cuts as well before installing.

#701 ·
that is a nice looking light ! I am real nervous about my "cutting roof" skills I am anxious to see it done. is the headliner a big project as well with this mod?

#702 ·
I've had one side of the headliner down at a time a few times, but never the whole front. I had it down to do my XM fin, installing my Linkwell radio GPS mic and when I did the side cab lights.

I'me going to see if I can get to everything from the sunglass holder center roof panel, if I can I won't have to drop anything. But if not I don't think it will be too bad, but that's why I'm waiting til morning so I'll have plenty of reaction time if something unexpected pops up.

#703 ·
Finished with the 2020 cab lights, luckily I din't need to drop the headliner. I was able to remove the roof console and get access no issue.

Taped it off and used my template to see were I needed to cut, filed the holes smooth and then painted the edges.

Then I decided that since I had some left over clear 3m vinyl, that I would cover the holes since the out side two were bigger than normal. Cut slits so the center light would fit.

I switched the 2018 plug onto the 2020 light and then used a lot of clear caulk under the light just in case.

Pretty easy to do since I already had the two holes to use as I guide for my template, demel 3000 with metal cutting wheels worked perfect.

No more amber lens cab lights!

#706 ·
came out GREAT !! that light is a great improvement and as always your truck is just awesome!!!

#707 ·
That’s a million times better!!!

I think they make subtle differences between the years to prevent people from doing what you just did lol. Just goes to show if you’re determined (or crazy) enough, anything is possible!!

#709 ·
I've been trying to decide on my next mod for the truck, thinking about saving up for emissions intact tuning.

The cost is just under $4k, swap out the ECM and TCM and then I'll have up to 550 hp instead of 400.

I already have the Banks CAI and a WC Fab intake horn, duramax tuner claims with the horn I should be around the 566hp range and around the 1200 tq range with stock trans.

Speedometer will be correct with my 35's and no more speed limiter.

Anyone ever tried this type of tuning? I don't feel like completely deleting, Looking for advice or real world info.

#729 ·
I saw a video of a banks derringer spanking a fully deleted truck...

at this horsepower and boost, I think you actually NEED EGR to keeps temps in check not so much for emissions.. provided the SCR is working...

hard to keep in mind that this is the same 6.6 displacement of the original making WAY more power

Banks seems to be able to lay the power down safer, and longer than these other 'tunes'... that seem to be able to spike long enough for a dyno run but can't keep it up for very long before safeties kick in and begin de-fueling

#710 ·
I had emissions intact tuning through ppei on my lml, it was a noticeable improvement, though to be honest I'm not 100% happy with the shift strategy in the trans. 3rd hangs on too long while accelerating, and I wish the truck would downshift sooner in 3rd on up.

That is obviously fixable in the tune, but a while back I had the def heater go out and the part was on national backorder, with a long line in front of me. So instead of my truck being down for months on a retarded sensor, I deleted it. And with the epa stuff being what it is, tuning support for non intact tunes kinda went out the window.

Not much difference between intact and deleted tuning, truck runs about the same, except I get to enjoy hearing the exhaust and I dont buy def anymore.

So long story short, highly recommended tuning these trucks, there's a ton of power left on the table. You will be buying def more frequently, and mileage isn't as amazing as some of the claims online would have you believe. (I average 17-18ish on a 200hp tune while unloaded, and 8-10 on a 50hp tune while hauling depending on the load/trailer)

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#711 ·
I had emissions intact tuning through ppei on my lml, it was a noticeable improvement, though to be honest I'm not 100% happy with the shift strategy in the trans. 3rd hangs on too long while accelerating, and I wish the truck would downshift sooner in 3rd on up.

That is obviously fixable in the tune, but a while back I had the def heater go out and the part was on national backorder, with a long line in front of me. So instead of my truck being down for months on a retarded sensor, I deleted it. And with the epa stuff being what it is, tuning support for non intact tunes kinda went out the window.

Not much difference between intact and deleted tuning, truck runs about the same, except I get to enjoy hearing the exhaust and I dont buy def anymore.

So long story short, highly recommended tuning these trucks, there's a ton of power left on the table. You will be buying def more frequently, and mileage isn't as amazing as some of the claims online would have you believe. (I average 17-18ish on a 200hp tune while unloaded, and 8-10 on a 50hp tune while hauling depending on the load/trailer)

I 'm leaning towards duramaxtuner vs PPEI, they have been doing it longer and almost every post I've been able to find and youtube review all saw to stick with DT for emission intact tuning.

I had ATP Idaho Rob EFI Live tunes n my last two durmax trucks so I know how much can be improved.

But a lot of the big shops are being investigated right now, I read where at least one was searching for used DEF equipment because they got rid of theirs and now had a "put back to legal" order.

From their charts the soot level doesn't seem to change much from stock so DEF usage shouldn't change much.

#712 ·
I've heard good things about duramaxtuner. I think they're a really safe bet for good quality tunes. I wish I could try their tunes out, but of course these days they won't go anywhere near a deleted truck. I may go back to intact one day, and I still have all of the equipment, in case I need it, but I'm happy enough with the tunes to run what I've got for now.

#713 ·
I've been wanting to replace my rear Fox shocks with some resi shocks, after losing the passenger side top bolt and pushing around the shock for a day I took it as sign that it was time.

Looks like Fox changed from the all silver to a black and silver shock. Lucking in the rear it shouldn't stick out that they don't match my silver shocks in the front.

Used red light tight instead of blue this time!

Attachments

#714 ·
Few little projects going on now that's is cooled down enough to work on the truck.

1st, I'm going to try some Rigid dot/sae fogs in my bumper fog light position. I want to see if these really can be used without getting flashed all the time. I never use the current spot lights unless I'm off the road but I like to run fogs day and night just to be seen a little better.

2nd, I ordered some Kryptonite Upper control arms and having them powder coated gloss white. I want to raise the front just a little and I also bought some 3" rear blocks to swap out my 2" blocks with. Always like having a little rake.

3rd, Finally ordered emission compliant ECM and TCM tuning with PPEI tunes from Proformance Diesel. Includes 7 different power levels
  1. 30 HP
  2. 60 HP
  3. 120 HP
  4. 165 HP
  5. 180 HP
  6. 200 HP
  7. 220 HP
Seemed like a good way to finish up the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.