Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

hdrolling, L5P sport Dually build

146K views 1K replies 68 participants last post by  viper8315 
#1 ·
I'm going to try to keep updating the progress of the parts I'm installing on my '18 dually.

List so far:
Morimoto 6500k 35w HID headlights
Morimoto LED fog lights
Black Anzo LED tail lights
Black RECON LED third brake light
diode dynamics LED reverse and license plate lights
20" black Mayhem 8101 Monstir wheels
LT275/65R20 Toyo Open Country A/T II
Spiked lugs
Pace Edwards tonneau
Black bowtie front/rear

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
In my garage ready for install:

Zone 3" level with Fox shocks
BDS steering stabalizer
White color matched fender flairs
White mirror caps and door handles (in the mail)

I'm going to attempt the level today, not sure if the weather is going to cooperate and my truck doesn't fit in the garage.

#4 · (Edited)
Trying to decide if I like the single front fender flair look or front and rear, my front tire doesn't stick out much so I might add some Fred's 1/4" spacers in front.

****these pics are not my trucks, just reference********

I already have all four and their painted white.

Attachments

#5 ·
I prefer the look of the white truck with the flares on all four corners.
Nice truck by the way.

#8 ·
Nice, looks good.

I just got a big box from Cognito today with some parts to finish off my leveling kit. Got my pisk kit, sway bar links, shock extenders and rear Foxes. Still waiting on tires and my front Fox reservoir’s. Decided to order up a few more things before I tackle this.

Did you do bds bracket for the stabilizer?

Reactions: hdrolling
#9 ·
Did you do bds bracket for the stabilizer?
Yes, and it was the worst part of the entire install today.

After getting the bracket installed getting the shock into the bracket was a nightmare, I must have tried different things for an hour to get the shock in between the two arms.

Bad on me for not testing before mounting the bracket, if I would have tried and found out how tight it was I would have pried it apart a little first.

After going through the hassle of mounting the bracket I wasn't about to pull it back off.

After I finished I wanted to get to the rest of the kit so I didn't snap any pics of it installed but will clean it up and get some tomorrow.

I still need to install the DIFF lowering kit, didn't have time to get to that either but it's on the list for tomorrow.

#10 · (Edited)
I thought that bracket looked like a pia to install. I was going to buy that kit and then I found out that stabilizers interfere with the Cognito pisk kit. So I am going to install the kit and then the stabilizer and see if I can lower a shock extender bracket enough so there is no interference and weld it on. The diff drop is not too bad, mine took about an hour. Looking forward to some pics.

Reactions: hdrolling
#11 · (Edited)
Today's agenda will be to get the differential lowering kit installed and then at least get the front fender flairs on, I want to take my time on the rear to make sure all the cuts for the side marker lights fit into the fenders.

Also need to make some adjustments to my level now that it's settled a little and get it into the shop for an alignment.

After I make my adjustments and give it another day to settle, I'll have it aligned and then adjust my headlights. I don't drive at night very often so a couple days won't hurt anything.

Glad I jumped on these fenders while the painted ones were on sale for $400!

Attachments

#13 ·
I attempted to get an alignment but the shop needs me to put my stock wheels back on the front first so i'll do that first thing in the morning.

On a side note, I've installed Bilstein 5100 on my last three trucks. After installing you notice a ride improvement and it's like' Yes these are better than stock.

These Fox shocks, WOW. These things really ride much better than stock and the 5100. After installing the bigger wheels I noticed a little rougher ride but not a big deal, now with the level and new shocks it better than when I drove off the lot.

Really happy I decided to upgrade to these over the zone shocks.

#14 · (Edited)
That’s good to know about the shocks. I put the 5100’s on my last truck and they made a huge improvement. I was just about to order them for my new truck and in the end I changed my mind. I have always wanted reservoirs.These things are sexy. The fronts should be here Thursday.

Attachments

#15 ·
That’s good to know about the shocks. I put the 5100’s on my last truck and they made a huge improvement. I was just about to order them for my new truck and in the end I changed my mind. I always wanted reservoirs.These things are sexy. The fronts should be here Thursday.
Those are awesome, I went back and forth between buying a complete kit with Fox 2.0 or building a kit and getting the reservoirs.

In the end I decided just in case the fox shocks felt the same as 5100's I would just get the standard 2.0's. Now that I have them I love them but now I will always wonder how the ones' you have feel compared to what I have now.

I did try to fit the rear fenders, the top is good it's just the bottoms that don't line up.

So I called Farleys since they have so many GM dually's with flairs on their site.

They said they have to custom fit the SRW flairs to each truck as it comes in, just a bunch of trimming and the they have the shave the rear of the bolts and use thinner nuts so the don't hit the fender.

I asked if that was something they could do on a truck and then remove and ship out and they said they have to do it while the truck is there.

They also said they get calls every day about their gm dually rear flairs, but no chance of building and shipping in the future.

So it looks like I have my work cut out for me, unless I want to drive up to Canada and have them install them for me.

#16 ·
I think the shocks are valved the same so they should ride the same. Looking at the work you have done so far, you will be fine with those rear flares, just take your time.

Did you get the diff drop kit installed? If so how do your cv angles look?

#17 ·
I didn't get to the diff, after I opened the box for the white flairs I had to get started.

Since I have to get the jack out to change the wheels tomorrow I'll get the diff at the same time.

As far as the shocks, I believe the fox shocks that come with the zone kit are a steel body. The ones you have are an aluminum body so they will cool faster, I saw this on a custom offsets youtube vid and that's what they said so I don't know how try it is.

For the little bit of towing I do in the summer and normal highway driving I don't think I would even notice a difference.

Hoping I have better luck with my progress in the morning, at the very least I want the diff lowered and an alignment done.

#22 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I have a set of chains/my ball hitch along with some tow straps and jumper cables right not and it feels like it's about snap off.

I'll unload some stuff for now, I plan to get an under seat storage for the rear seat. I'll still the heavy stuff under there and leave the lighter things like cables and tow straps in the swing box.

#26 ·
So once again, no diff lowering kit install.

I couldn't get my hands up top to hold a ratchet on the top nut, I did go to lowes and grab a flexible head socket like I saw someone use on you tube use so I'll be at it again in the morning. Three times a charm!

I did swap the front wheels and go get an alignment, got there at 0930 and had three other vehicles in front of me so I didn't get it finished until 1230.

After that I went home and put the custom wheels back on and then went to get the socket at Lowes.

When I got back the mail had come and delivered my truck bed bull rings so I did install them so I would have some more ties down spots in the bed.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Looking forward to another project I want to do, install some flush mount LED cubes in my front fender.

I like how this guy did the cubes in this pic, but I want mine more centered not off to the side like he did. (Not looking to add lights in front of the trans cooler)

I'm thinking these white rigid cubes would look good there and give me so more lighting when I need it, not for highway use. They would be just to the side of my parking sensors.

Anyone thing this would mess with the sensor if I installed them there? Would the black trim look better?

Attachments

#29 ·
So most of the kits I see say not recommended for dually's, still not sure why?

This may not be a popular decision but today I decided to add the rear block to see how the truck would look, not sure if I'm going to keep them back there or not but the entire Zone kit worked on my Dually.

This was the kit for truck with the above helper spring on the rear leafs and came with 16" ubolts, fit perfect with the 2" flat blocks.

First pic with the lights on is the leveled pic, second two are with the 2" rear block added. Still rides the same.

Attachments

#30 ·
Well first of all I think your truck looks bitchin’. The angle of the cv’s looks good, better than the tie-rods, which makes sense since you lowered the diff and not the steering center link. My truck is the same way and when my tie rods wear out I am switching to the Kryptonite center link and the tie rods with 90 degrees on both ends so the inner joint is not at a bad angle. I’ll bet with those angles, a little space between the lca and the bump stop and the Fox shocks it rides really good. One question is how much space do you have between the uca’s and the metal bump stop?

I thought I would like the leveled look better but as I scrolled down and got to the last picture I wasn’t sure, it looks good both ways.

#31 ·
I'll have to get some pics of the bump stop, but there is quite a bit of space between them.

As for the rear I just wanted to see if they would fit and how it would look. The kit said it wouldn't work on a dually and I wanted to see why, as far as I can see everything fit fine and work properly so now I know.

I'm not sure I would be able to hook up to my fifth wheel with the rear up as high as it is, luckily swapping the blocks in only took about 1/2hr. I just loosened one side with the wheels still on the ground and jacked up the leaf springs, slid the spacer in and then used a motorcycle jack to lift the end of the pumpkin close to the drive shaft. The block pins popped right in.

For now when I pull up next to F250 or 2500 their not towering over me so I kinda like it.

Going to attempt the rear flair next week, it's nice that my parts pile is almost gone.

#32 ·
Tried the rear flairs again today, just not working out. I'm going to postpone until the temps here get a little cooler.

I did order a couple smaller parts, a GM under seat storage and an AMP bumper step. I had the bumper step on my last dually and used it all the time, the little step built into the bumper is pretty useless now being so high up.

#33 ·
Got my tires today. The parts are rolling in, almost have everything for the next project.:grin2:

Attachments

#34 ·
Very nice, how does that steering stabilizer mount? Did it come with a bracket? I tried to find a Fox style one, guess I didn't look hard enough.

Do you have any profile views of your truck with the amp steps mounted, I'm thinking a set will be my last bug purchase fr this rig until my warranty is up. They should have cheaper delete tuning by then!

#36 ·
Ordered the Rigid flush mount LED lights that will get mounted on my front bumper, also ordered some diode dynamics fog light LED bulbs for the stock fog light housing. The Morimoto fog lights perform well but I hate that during the day you can't see them, I just want to see how the Bulbs look and work compared to the complete housing and then I'll decide which ones to keep.

This is how the Morimoto fogs look during the day.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.