2016 Slt Duramax tires - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Canada The whole thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

2016 Slt Duramax tires

New 16 Sierra SLT, it came with 265/65 20 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A pucks. These tires don't track well, are rough and quite noisy imo. Is there a favourite among you for quiet, straight running highway tires? I spend most of my offroad time during winter months when snow tires are more suitable and will set this truck up with 18". Thoughts.

Disregard if this is the wrong place for this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agriont View Post
New 16 Sierra SLT, it came with 265/65 20 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A pucks. These tires don't track well, are rough and quite noisy imo. Is there a favourite among you for quiet, straight running highway tires? I spend most of my offroad time during winter months when snow tires are more suitable and will set this truck up with 18". Thoughts.

Disregard if this is the wrong place for this post.
Isn't it funny how the tires that come with your $60K plus truck are usually crap. IMHO, I'd look into some Michelin LTX tires (Defender LTX M/S, LTX A/S, LTX AT/2 or LTX M/S2). They come in a lot of different sizes and to me are a quality tire.

2011 Silverado 3500HD SRW LML CCSB LTZ. Line-X over the Rail, Rockers and Side Steps, S&B Intake w/Donaldson Powercore G2 Filter & Scoop, Kennedy Twins/W Filter, Edge Insight CTS, Crown Performance SS Brake Lines, PPE Rear Diff Cover, Bushwacker Fender Flares, Cognito Leveling Kit with UCA's & Steering Braces, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Bilstein 5100's, KC Light Bar, Rigid Dually D2's, LT295/70R/18 Terra Grapplers, Allison Deep Trans Pan, Transynd, Suncoast Filter Lock, Retro Solutions 5000K HID's in my Fog Lamps, Snugtop Canopy plus a few other Goodies.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I've looked at the Defender and like the feedback on it. I intend to put the Michelin Winter LTX 18" on steel rims for this winter. Issue is getting some money out of these Wranglers. Dealers don't want them. kijiji but everything for nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Jacqson, I had a set of Michelin LTX M/S on a half ton a few years back and I really liked them. I ran them year round and found they were very smooth, steady and quiet on the highways, and for what the tread pattern was like they got me out of some fairly deep snow and muck situations when I needed them to, but that said they're far from being a fully dependable off road tire. Weren't overly great on ice/slick roads either but for being technically "all seasons" I had no complaints. Tread wear seemed good, I sold the truck when the tires had about 20,000 km on them and they looked brand new still.

If I were doing more highway driving than I currently am, I would have no question bought a set for my LBZ.

As for getting money out of your Goodyears, I'd just list 'em on Kijiji and see what happens. Around this time of year people can get pretty desperate for tires. I listed a set of Hankook Dynapro MTs for sale earlier this week, two were pretty worn at around 30% tread and two were around 50%, and I sold 'em within 5 hours for $250.

06 LBZ

Nick
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I agree with you both. I can't see putting more rubber on the 20' rim and expecting huge change in ride and noise/feel. I think I have to decide whether to wear these tires out or move to 18's, which means replacing the wheels too. I am not enamoured by the big wheel look. I'm well beyond that stage. I will get the winter wheels and tires for sure. Michelin makes a great tire so am not worried about tire quality.

Thanks for the response.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Michelin makes great tires. I've personally had both the M/S2 & A/T2 on various vehicles as well as my dad and brother and have loved them. We've never ran them on an HD pickup but on our lighter vehicles (1500s, full & midsize SUVs), we've typically got around 70-90k miles out of a set on the M/S2. On the A/T2 we've typically got 60-70k out of them. The only issue we've noticed with Michelins is they tend to dry-rot. If you step up to the 275/65r20, that tire is approximately 1.5" taller than the OEM Goodyear so it may help the feel a little. If you decide to get 18's, the OEM 18's come with the Michelin LTX A/T2 on them and can be found for a reasonable price for the wheel/tire combo.

2016 Chevy 2500 CCSB LTZ Custom Sport Z71 - SuspensionMAXX Leveling Kit, Cognito UCA's, 285/60r20 Exo Grapplers on OEM High Country Chromes
2002 Camaro SS #8293 - M6, T-Tops, Y2Y: grille, 345 CME, Chrome ZR1s, BBPS, mats, fobs/plaque, portfolio, car cover, - Garage Queen (1,317 miles)

Sold - 2010 Chevy 1500 4x4 CCSB LT Hennessey HPE500 S/N: 21 - NHT, Blown 6.2L w/LS9 cam, CC ARH 1 7/8", Corsa, 499 RWHP 556 RWTQ @ 7lbs... was good enough for me for a DD gasser
Sold - 1998 Camaro SS #1589 - A4, T-Tops, full bolts and supsension
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:31 PM

I had a 2014 gas that had 20" sr-a, I now have a 2014 Duramax with 18" Michelin. The 18" rides a lot better than the 20". I recently replaced the Michelin with KO2 and they still ride very smooth.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:33 PM

Check at your dealer for a set of castoffs. I picked up a set of 18" factory Michelins on the Denali wheels for $1200.00 complete. still had the tits on them! I then put a set of studded ice radials on the original rims

2015 CHEV 3500 Dually CC 4x4
Katzkin leather & heated seats, I board running boards, Linex lower treatment
SOLD: 2011 GMC 3500 Denali CC SWB Duramax
Lowered 2 1/2"
Banks Cat back exhaust
Black factory boards
Hauling a Bighorn 5th wheel

Mice ate my emissions wiring and stuff under my truck-
Bye Bye DEF and all that crap!
converted DPF to a resonator & it works great!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I was at the dealer yesterday to have the steering centred... four attempts. The dealer said they have just a few dollars of markup on tires and because I now have 1200 kliks the odometer, they won't do a thing. Regardless, the road/highways in my area are not the best and the pattern on the SR-A tires multiplies the harshness. It is like I can feel each block on the tire. I've had several vehicles out for test rides before I bought this truck, most of them have been 1 ton units, some dually and others not. These tires have been the worse in terms of comfort and noise. Seem to always be fighting the road, even on flat highway areas, I'm constantly adjusting. Now I've been driving for nearly 45 years so I know that tires make all of the difference and GM must have bought a country load of these tires dirt cheap.

OEM on my max is 265/60R20. Same diameter alternate is 265/70R18. Both are E rated. Like I said, my winters will definitely be an 18" steel rim with Michelin Winter LTX. The skinny of it is though, what about these horrible SR-A's. Will a Smooth running, straight running high rated tire like the Michelin Defender make a difference or should I just go 18" all year?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
IMO, if you step down to an 18", your ride will improve due to the fact of having more of a sidewall. If you keep the 20" wheel, staying at a 265/60r20 and just going to a Michelin, I don't think you'll notice much improvement. I think you'll need to step up the tire size to improve the ride, either a 275/65r20 (34.1") or 285/60r20 (33.4") in the Defender LTX M/S. I believe Ford & Dodge use those sizes because of the bigger sidewall to help improve the ride from the solid axels. GM went too small with the 265/60r20 IMO because I also didn't care for the fell of them either. When regarding just the handling feel when I switched from the 265/60r20 to the 285/60r20 (Exo Grappler) that I have now, the handling was noticeably improved where I felt it needed to be. I'm not recommending the Exo Grapplers to you because they are not a quite tire, just pointing out that the larger tire was an improvement for me. The 275/65r20 I've heard have fit w/o having to do anything to the suspension because they're only 275s. To fit 285/60r20s, you've probably have to crank your T-bars to clear w/o rubbing since they're wider which can adversely affect your ride. I'm leveled so I clear no problem and the leveling route I took didn't seem to hamper my ride quality either. If you're being financially responsible, the 265/70r18 is the least expensive tire when comparing the Michelins on the larger sidewall tires so that may be your best choice.

2016 Chevy 2500 CCSB LTZ Custom Sport Z71 - SuspensionMAXX Leveling Kit, Cognito UCA's, 285/60r20 Exo Grapplers on OEM High Country Chromes
2002 Camaro SS #8293 - M6, T-Tops, Y2Y: grille, 345 CME, Chrome ZR1s, BBPS, mats, fobs/plaque, portfolio, car cover, - Garage Queen (1,317 miles)

Sold - 2010 Chevy 1500 4x4 CCSB LT Hennessey HPE500 S/N: 21 - NHT, Blown 6.2L w/LS9 cam, CC ARH 1 7/8", Corsa, 499 RWHP 556 RWTQ @ 7lbs... was good enough for me for a DD gasser
Sold - 1998 Camaro SS #1589 - A4, T-Tops, full bolts and supsension

Last edited by BlkSS; 10-21-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode