Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

6.4 tuned vs lb7

17K views 77 replies 19 participants last post by  mebob2001 
#1 ·
So my sister's boyfriend has a 6.4 and just got it tuned ,I believe he said h and s tune 310hp and deleted ,other wise stock. Was wondering what you think my odds of winning against him would be. I know there not slow trucks and are easy to gain hp with. I think my sig has all the info on my truck other then its a single cab. Thanks

#2 ·
Sig didn't show up. But if you don't have a built trans and can't launch in 4wd & he isn't lifted to the sky your gonna have a hard time. My friend has a Spartan tuned 6.4 & it gets down. Its always in the shop but runs good when on the road

#3 ·
K I'll put what I got right now.

Exergy sportsman pump
30 over injectors
Headstuds
Lift pump 165 air dog
Tie rod sleeves
Fully built ppe trans billet everything
Bigger front rear drive shaft with splicer u joints
Boost valve.
4in mbrp exhaust
Mbrp down pipe
Torque converter lock
Efi live dsp 5 max effort tube
Turbo has wicked wheel
Merchant motor mounts
And I think it's gear ration is 373

I'll update my sig when my phones not being dumb.

#4 ·
Be a good race for sure. Get a video.

#5 ·
I have a go pro so no excuse to not get a good video. Only bad thing is winter and he don't want to race till summer by then I'll hopefully have a nice turbo set up. Just wanted to get some thoughts on it and if there's anything I should change. Also any recommendations on a turbo set up with my mods above would be great.

#7 ·
How much do the center links run?

#8 ·
Lots to think about when picking a turbo. Do you tow often, give up spool for top end, preference on twins or single, how hard do you want to push stock bottom end, budget? Might have to swap converter to suit turbo selection. I still haven't answered any of those questions myself & hence still have a stock turbo.

#9 ·
Yea exactly what I was thinking about that's why haven't jumped at a turbo yet.
Towing no not really.
Truck pulling I will be doing.
Drags I'll be doing.
I have precision converter.
No preference on single or twin turbo.

I want a good 700 hp range and don't want it to be really laggy or needing it to build boost forever.

If engine blows Id have it done right and build bottom end. For now not worried about it.

#10 ·
S475, 87, 1.0 housing
2500 rpm+ converter
Maybe dual pump depending on how you hold rail pressure
Good tuning

That'll get you close. Definitely walking the thin line of breaking the bottom end.

#11 ·
Thanks I'll look into it and check it out. Like I said hope to have one in by summer and wake her up some more.

#13 ·
Yep that's what I thought. I can run him the way I'm set up now.his truck is crew cab so got little less wait to boat around. We will see what he says it will be recorded either way.

#14 ·
I would shame him into it..Give him crap on new years when abunch of friends are around! I bet if you twist his arm enough he will go..

#15 ·
If hes bone stock running that tune, give him a couple months till he pops the motor and see what happens haha.

#19 ·
Good point I forgot about that. Need to definitely check that out.

#18 ·
Yea except emission deletes. He told me he don't need anything else on his truck and it's reliable right now.

#22 ·
Famous last words lol. Running a hot tune without studs, only a matter of time before it pops. Early 6.0s and 6.4s don't like hot tunes lol

#21 ·
So in 4high how fast can i go or does it not matter? I guess I only have 1/8 mile track around the area just curiouse if there's do and don't s in 4 high. Also what gear would you guys start out in, i usually just do it in drive without tow haul.

#24 ·
I have an 08 6.4 (stock height/tires but with camper)in the shop now with blown gaskets, but it made it over 120k on the Spartan 275 horse. Even with bad gaskets and low boost, it would still smoke my LML on the max effort tune (on 35s). Those things will get with it off the line, but the trans is weird and shifts funky when pushing it hard.

Good luck, you might need a little.

#25 ·
I have confidence in my duramax, he has his shift points defueling, his truck weighs more I have single cab. My buddy walks them and he has the same setup other then short box. And I'm still on stock tires and height. Guess if he decides to race we will see.

#26 ·
My buddy has a 08 6.4 Spartan tuned. He's got studs and gaskets. We tried drag racing but his trans was all fucked up. He's going to get it fixed this winter supposedly. He sent me a link to a forum and guys are running like 12.4-12.8's even on 35s and 37s with the Spartan 310 tune.

#28 ·
#29 ·
So what is the h and s tunes? Anygood

#30 ·
H&s isn't as good as Spartan or sct I believe. I know Spartan tunes are hard on transmissions. The 6.4s can move though. They have the air and fuel but stretch head bolts easily. To the op though your lb7 should take it for sure. I was looking at different threads and a lot of guys say they run 12.8's - 13.5 depending on tires etc. I hope my buddy gets his trans re built this winter. His 6.4 310 tune should be about dead on with my max effort 230 built trans.

#31 ·
Yes I agree they are fast for the little work they do to them he only payed 200 for the single tune. Wish I had stock twins..

#34 ·
My cousin ran a 12.42@109 in his '10 6.4 CCSB on the H&S 310 tune. Stock fuel, stock trans, stock turbos.

The trans, turbos, and head gaskets didn't last long, but he still had dozens of passes in the twelves.

You should have a good shot at him considering you are way lighter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Josh154
#35 ·
Just to clear things up here. I find it hard to believe anybody is running a 12.4 stock everything 6.4. I have one and mine my best is 12.903 @104. I'm on stock fuel, stock trans and I'm running a batmowheel in the low pressure turbo. Also had 420s, traction bars and dropped two inches, Ccsb weighed in at 8160. I've only made 6 runs total so I'm sure with some weight loss and some more practice I could get a couple tenths faster. 12.8- 13.4 is what most tuned only 6.4s will run depending on tires. H@s is arguably the best tuner for the 6.4 as you can run custom tunes with it. Spartan is good as far as power but they lack in the trans tuning department. Sct has shitty canned tunes but has the best support for custom tuning. Take whatever you want from this but this should help out. OP, I think it will be a close race if he man's up and does it but with your mods you probably have the win. And yes if he isn't careful he will be putting a new motor in it.

#36 ·
what were your 60' times

#44 ·
He had the H&S mini max. Standard tunes, the 300 tune sixty foot was better but the 310 had a little higher trap.

After the trans he had gear head tunes and it was way smoother and less smoke, but he got tired of breaking stuff so sold the truck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#43 ·
When I try to upload video it says error occurred while uploading. I am trying it off my android phone also tryed on laptop nothing worked ?

#46 ·
Reactions: Chc410
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.