01LB7 sled pulling - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Competition Discuss Drag Racing, Sled Pulling, and Dyno Event setup, technique, and results.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

01LB7 sled pulling

I’m planning on joining the work stock class with my 01 LB7 this year so I’m trying to do everything I can to prevent from having problems on the track. I have been upgrading a few things in the front end so recently I purchased a set of PPE stage 3 Tie Rods. Upon installing them we realized that one of the grease fittings was slightly funky & wouldn’t take any grease. As soon as we tried to grease it, the cap blew out. I contacted PPE about this & their customer service was horrible, I waited forever, called multiple times, finally got through to someone & they were super rude & basically told me I was shit out of luck.. so after realizing I have to eat my $460 I’m pretty pissed off but I still need heavy duty tie rods, I’m thinking this time I will purchase a set of Kryptonite’s , anyone have any experience with upgraded tie rods or any other front end upgrades recommended for truck pulling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Had kryptonite on my lly. Very beefy and top notch customer service. They replaced both of mine when they failed due to the poor overall condition of our local roads.

Can you try to replace the grease zerk on your ppe ones? Instead of dropping another $400

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

The problem is that now the outer tie rod cap came apart so that atleast has to be replaced & truck is laid up for additional time which is very frustrating as I was already on a time crunch to get this truck done , & other tie rods I found just the piece I needed but these I can’t find just that piece, it seems you have to buy a whole new tie rod & I don’t want to purchase one of theirs again honestly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:12 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
I put FabTech HD tie rods on my truck back in 2010, have competitively sled pulled since 2012, and never had an issue with them. I've put well over 100k miles on them since install, and I've put almost 130k on the truck since I bought it.

I haven't really touched the front end of my truck since late spring/early summer 2012. Cognito upper control arms, Moog pitman and idler arms, Kryponite Super idler pivot, Cognito pitman & idler support kit, and a DMAXstore idler frame brace installed then to go along with the FabTech tie rods. Drop the front end all the way down with the torsion bar bolts in my cup holder. My truck pulls great, front end doesn't flutter or shake, and goes the direction I point it to go.

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:22 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevychick95 View Post
I知 planning on joining the work stock class with my 01 LB7 this year so I知 trying to do everything I can to prevent from having problems on the track. I have been upgrading a few things in the front end so recently I purchased a set of PPE stage 3 Tie Rods. Upon installing them we realized that one of the grease fittings was slightly funky & wouldn稚 take any grease. As soon as we tried to grease it, the cap blew out. I contacted PPE about this & their customer service was horrible, I waited forever, called multiple times, finally got through to someone & they were super rude & basically told me I was shit out of luck.. so after realizing I have to eat my $460 I知 pretty pissed off but I still need heavy duty tie rods, I知 thinking this time I will purchase a set of Kryptonite痴 , anyone have any experience with upgraded tie rods or any other front end upgrades recommended for truck pulling?
i havent used kryptonite tierods but there other stuff is bullet proof. I have used fabtech tierods and they lasted forever and were probably 4X the cross sectional area of the factory ones.

While i never sled pull with that truck, it did see some pretty agressive use off road and i had no issues with the fabtechs. if memory serves they were like 100-200 for a set on amazon. My 01 was stock height and they fit, despite the description stating they will not.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode