Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Discount Tire

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 PM

As I move from ski trips to camping trips, these tires are less in their element. Compared to the Duras and the stock Wranglers, they feel like they are on tip toes. A surprising amount of squirm. They remain quiet generally but you can hear them being pushed at highway speed corners. Not really confidence inspiring. 60 psi, 1,000 pound tongue weight w/ my Lance 2185 TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

Hi, ColoradoOutdoors!

I think the pressure may be causing some the the "squirm" that you're describing.

What size UltraTerrain Tires are you running? From your picture I'd say LT275/65R-20?

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: discounttire.com
To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

Useful Links:

Last edited by Discount Tire; 04-19-2019 at 05:28 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 PM

You are correct on size! Tall and narrow. Maybe these just like more psi than the duratrac for towing. Will try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOutdoors View Post
You are correct on size! Tall and narrow. Maybe these just like more psi than the duratrac for towing. Will try.

With 15 years in the industry I'm getting pretty good at calling tire sizes by eye

Your Ultra Terrain tires have a max air capacity of 80 PSI cold - bumping the pressure up to max capacity should make a significant difference with how the tires handle while towing/under load.

On a side note, what is the GVWR of the trailer? 1000 lb tongue weight seems on the high side which may be causing some of the squirm you're experiencing.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store: discounttire.com
To Your Door: discounttiredirect.com

Useful Links:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:39 AM

Garage
Can you share with me the load curve for these tires?
My understanding is that tire manufacturers create a chart that outlines weight vs corresponding psi that should be ran in the tire.
I'm not driving around with 80psi in my rear tires unloaded like GMC puts on the placard, it's not a good idea.
I just bought 285/70R17 in the load range E category. I love them, but want to set tire pressures correctly for long wear, comfort and safety based on Goodyear's testing, not GM's maximums.
Thank you.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY (LBZ tuned) Crew Cab Short Box SLT 4x4: Air Dog II-4G, Hummer H2 chrome wheels, Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT 285/70R17, Denali headlights, All On Mod, tow mirrors, Starlite 5 tunes, DSP5 switch, CTS2 monitor, Homelink overhead center console
1997 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.7L Z71 Extended Cab Short Box
1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula everything is modded
2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
2013 Victory Motorcycles Highball
2006 Polaris IQ RMK 660 mod snowmobile
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Or you can do the chalk test to even up the tires. Do it at different weights to form your own charts. The information should be on Goodyear’s site.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkey52 View Post
Or you can do the chalk test to even up the tires. Do it at different weights to form your own charts. The information should be on Goodyear’s site.
Quote:
Thank you for your response.

I have looked on Goodyear's website as well as Discount Tire's website, and there isn't a Load Curve diagram. I have also searched the interwebs with no luck..

I understand that I could go through the work of the chalk test, but it is imprecise and not needed when the tire manufacture should have already done this.

I am hoping @discountTire can provide this..

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY (LBZ tuned) Crew Cab Short Box SLT 4x4: Air Dog II-4G, Hummer H2 chrome wheels, Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT 285/70R17, Denali headlights, All On Mod, tow mirrors, Starlite 5 tunes, DSP5 switch, CTS2 monitor, Homelink overhead center console
2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisn1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for your response.

I have looked on Goodyear's website as well as Discount Tire's website, and there isn't a Load Curve diagram. I have also searched the interwebs with no luck..

I understand that I could go through the work of the chalk test, but it is imprecise and not needed when the tire manufacture should have already done this.

I am hoping @discountTire can provide this..
Are you sure you’re not picking fly crap out of pepper with this whole load curve diagram thing? All the reading, research, etc I’ve done over the years on tires for different vehicles, and this is the first time I’ve even heard of such a thing.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT

Well this is the one I use for my trailer tires.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

And found this for LT Tires

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/p...dinflation.pdf

And this is a real good one from toyo.

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125...s_20170203.pdf

Last edited by MIkey52; 06-28-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icutmetl View Post
Are you sure you’re not picking fly crap out of pepper with this whole load curve diagram thing? All the reading, research, etc I’ve done over the years on tires for different vehicles, and this is the first time I’ve even heard of such a thing.
hahahaha That is an awesome visual!

GM wants 80 psi in the rear. But that is a max pressure for max load. I do not carry a max load, therefore I am not running 80 psi in the rear tires. It will ride like shit, and it will prematurely wear out the middle of the tire.

Therefore, I have been doing research on this load inflation thing, and yes, it exists. I have found other tire manufacturers have a chart.

2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode