Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

(LBZ)Drag Racing - Stock to Smokin Results

88K views 540 replies 61 participants last post by  DaJokr 
#1 ·
So I'm going to do this for those that wanna know what there truck could potentially run in the 1/4 mile. And since I'm about to start the performance upgrading side of things on my ride, I figured I'd better get this started now. First race will be this Saturday, all subsequent races will be held on the same track. I'll post elevation once I get it, post temp according to the truck at the time of the runs, tire pressure used, and weight of the truck as depending on my fuel tank I could be lighter or heavier.

Here's the setup that won't change:

CCSB LBZ 4x4
265/75R16 Toyo OC A/T II
Stock alloy wheels
No lift, stock suspension

I did add Stanadyne performance my last few tanks, so that will affect results. But I'll get a day of runs in without it as well to see what changes it actually makes.

I will update this as mods are added. At this time I have ordered an airdog and efi. I would like to do a track day with just the AD to see if there is an small increase or not. I dont think I can test with just efi after the AD is installed, but I will try to find a way before doing runs with both efi and the AD together.

Hope this is useful to some. At the least I will track my performance improvements and accept critique from the experts.

I'll try to get video as well with the gopro, but I have no idea what editing oft ware to use or how large a file can be to upload to YouTube, so anyone reading this that cn help me, please PM me, do not post here, that way we can hopefully keep this thread uncluttered.

That's all until Saturday evening/Sunday.

See less See more
#4 ·
People say they have increased throttle response. This makes me think it's possible to shave time, minute as it may be. And unless someone can prove to me a cetane booster won't change anything, then I'm going to find out myself.

This thread will help eliminate misinformation with proof. How about we actually find out, where there is proof to back up and disprove, rather then the usual "there isn't going to be any difference".

If nothing else, can't I have some fun testing theories, so when others ask we can all say "someone did that, it doesn't help" or "if you do that, it will help a little..."

Humor me here guys. I'm going to supply proof with slips to compare this all.

No one is forcing you to read what you seem to think is a pointless thread. Just saying.

#5 ·
I understand, but its very hard to come up with proof because of time slips... I ran a 13.6 with my hitch on and a 13.594 with it off. Now do I think the hitch did anything? I would like it to, but really I could have reacted differently or launched 1 psi more or have had my tires psi a little higher for speed. With minute changes at the drag strip, people can say its "human error" unless your 100% consistent which is near to impossible. An airdog won't give you that jump in time down the track. If anything it'll be in the .0xx if it even effects a hundredth of a second.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
Why not....I'm in for the results.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Stay tuned, racing this Saturday, unless my rear pinion seal continues to be a pita. This will be removal and replacement attempt #2.

Also, I have my sleeves now, but my drivers side inner tierod I'm guessing is shot, so no 4x4 launches. All results will be in 2wd, sorry.

Pm me with 2wd setup advice if your able, I've been scrounging all over the various forums I can find for info...

#14 ·
This would be better tested on a dyno than a drag strip. Wind, human error, humidity, and difference in track prep play too big of role in consistent results.

#16 ·
You find me a dyno that I don't have to travel far for and ill dyno it. There are none I know Of near me. Closest is probably 10 hours away, an I'm not about to go out of my way for that.

For this reading this wanting accuracy, I suggest you find a track at sea level, no wind, no humidity, perfect track prep and a robot that can run perfect every time.

This is just personal curiosity, and a place to post what I find for those who are curious. Don't see why everyone is getting all serious about this :cuckoo

#17 ·
I'm in for results

#19 ·
Give it hell Kyle, and have fun doing it! Great idea...

#24 ·
Alright, so tonight's the night. Did some reading last night and track rules have changed somewhat. Used to be able to run against anyone, but now they only do bracket racing. Qualifying time determines who you run with, and if you beat that time in a race and win, you are dq'd.

Seems kinda f'd up to me, but oh we'll. Rules are rules.

#28 ·
15.5 in a stock lbz with like 650tq stock? hmm. I thought they'd be quicker

#29 ·
#30 ·
Plans are in my sig, for now I just plan on fun.

Alright, so I got 13 runs in. Lost 3 or 4, redeemed myself on one. Best time was 15.121, 60' 2.043. Had a couple at 14.9**, but the system was all buggy so I'm not sure if it's accurate or not. Times were slowly dropping from my 15.5** when I got there to the 15 flat area.

Truck weighed 7130lbs when I went out, 1/4 tank of fuel. Tires were at 55psi front, 50psi rear. Started at 27*C outside with a headwind. By the end of the night with those low runs I was running on empty, temp had dropped to 20*C and wind was negligible. 2300' roughly, forgot to check gps. Weighed in at 7010lbs at the end of the night.

Notable mentions:

Brad, running a rcsb 7.3L, tuner, intake, dumped exhaust, slicks, 5500lbs. 3 runs, 3 wins. Last win was taken in 2wd with a light 1200rpm boosted launch.

Steve, 6.7L cummins ccsb with a lift, 35's, maybe bigger, tuner, and tool box in back. First run I came in at 15.121 he came in at 15.171. Second run I fudged up, 3rd he spun and couldn't make up the ground. Last run of the night to. So I finished with a 15.331 for the night, and his 16.401.

All in all, was a fun night. Looking forward to heading back in 2 weeks for more!

Also, side note, had a light come on, the security lock light? It went out after shutting the truck off and taking the key out, but made me nervous. Truck felt and sounded fine, and my little code reader couldn't pull a code. So I dunno :S

Anyways, hope this helps some of you who are curious. I'll update each time I upgrade or try something new.

And for those of you in 2wd, i only had one solid hook with no slip and I flew, every other run I tried in 2wd I spun and ran a good 2 seconds longer, 17.***.

#31 ·
Update time!

Number of runs last night. Since last race I have the airdog and efi installed. Times were better on my 90hp tune then the 150hp tune. First run on the 90 put my at 13.98*, followed by a run on the 150hp tune at 14.7**. Those of you without front end work, I do NOT recommend a 4hi boosted launch at 2000rpm or greater...my front end bounced all over the f'n place, I thought I was headed for the boards for sure. Later I tried a second run though and kept it around 17-1800rpm and thus was enough to keep the front in check, still only ran 14.2** on the 150. It REALLY hates that 4-5 shift, no codes, but RPMs jumped to almost 4500 and didn't seem to pull.

I found my best results happened switching tunes on the fly. I started on the 150 tune, launched around 17-1800rpm, and at 65mph or so I switched to the 90hp tune. This was the only way I was breaking through the 14 second mark all night.

Best time was a 13.840@96.89mph. 21*c out, 7138lbs race weight. Track periodically got rained on, just a sprinkle, but it did get shut down at one point for only 15 minutes or so.

I was sooo close last race to beating an srt8 challenger. Even he thought I had him. Sadly I ran a 14.0** that run to he 13.9**. Difference was 0.051, I was pissed lol. Most cars there were pro class running low 10's.

Guess its time to look into that built trans now :D

#32 ·
badass man! what's the next mods?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.