Need help with a shopping list (got bit by the bug) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TexasRedNeck
  • 1 Post By TDavis1992

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Question Need help with a shopping list (got bit by the bug)

I went and watched my buddy compete on the Sonoma track on his bike last weekend and he told me it's open to the public on Wednesdays. So now I REALLY want to take my 05 LLY for a spin.

What I have:
1. EFI Live 100 & 200 HP tune
2. MPRP 4" exhaust (cat fell off)
3. S&B cold air intake
4. LBZ turbo mouth piece

What I think I need at a minimum:
1. Kryptonite Tie rods
2. Lift Pump
3. Spring clamps

A new tranny would be an outstanding choice but that's not in the budget. . . It's a CCLB that just rolled 200K miles so it's probably not the best candidate weight wise to begin with but in order to get a good 4X4 launch and a descent time would the above items get me by? Is there anything else that is a must? (besides the tranny)
Or is this a bad idea alltoghether

2005 6.6L 2500HD 4X4
Tunes by Diesel Addiction
Trans by Mike L.
Lift Pump by Kennedy
Custom Paint by various road debris, bugs, and low hanging branches. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Finally! Wheels on!

Its only a bad idea if you don't have $10,000 laying around.

One big launch with the 200hp tune and you'll be buying a new tranny.

Diesels are not cheap to go fast. One thing leads to another and soon enough you have an $18,000 truck with $50-60k in it.

Id do tranny first before even worrying about any of that other stuff. Start off right and get that out of the way.
TDavis1992 likes this.

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Yeah that's the right way to go. I got a little excited from reading posts from other guys that've ran with a stock tranny in the past I'll get it going. thanks

2005 6.6L 2500HD 4X4
Trans by Mike L.
Lift Pump by Kennedy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Finally! Wheels on!

Look up tranny builders here. Near you I think is Mike L. Buy once cry once. I used Brad at Calvins (where Kory Willis is located) but that's a ways from you

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:18 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

200k miles... 100/200hp tune... 11 yr old truck... Almost as heavy as possible... What could go wrong...
I highly suggest you prioritize how much you need your truck on a day to day basis prior to taking it to the track while low on funds. In the diesel world you have to pay BEFORE you play.
TexasRedNeck likes this.

2015 CC/LB DRW 3500HD LML LTZ Blk/Blk #284 Stock for now ~ on the hunt for 19.5s.
2012 CC/SB 2500HD LML LTZ Blk/Blk PPEI tuned & deleted ~Traded~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

TDavis you bring up a good point with the 11 yrs and that's the reason I decided to ask here first. Is this just asking for pandoras box? The diesel engine is probably good for a while longer, I'd have a new transmission & converter from Mike L but with everything else wiring, drive train etc. being old? If you're telling me I'm 7 years too late to do this so be it. I'll wait until I replace this truck with a newer model. Thanks for your input so far guys.

2005 6.6L 2500HD 4X4
Trans by Mike L.
Lift Pump by Kennedy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:47 AM

Garage
If the transmission has been very well kept then MAYBE you can get by doing a few launches on the 100hp tune. Don't sit there stalling the converter for long or you'll wear it out. As for needs in the suspension department: Tie rods or sleeves, center link brace or pitman/idler braces, make sure your wheel bearings are in good shape as well as ball joints, remove your torsion bar bolts.

NEW!: 2007 LBZ LT 4x4 CC/SB Olympic White - Mods: Magnaflow 4" turbo back, S&B intake, Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob @ ATP, Built Transmission by Mike L at Inglewood Transmission, SNOW Performance Power Max (#5 primary/2x #6 Power), Nicktane CAT filter kit, Banks boost and pyro gauges, Edge Insight CTS 2, AirDog II 165gph, Rancho 9000 shocks, 20x10 -25mm offset Weld Racing Wheels wrapped in 285/50 Nitto 420s, Leveled with Belltech 3" drop shackles, Calvert Traction bars.
PB 8.102 @ 83.58mph
PB 12.742 @ 104.06 mph
OLD: 2003 LB7 LS 4x4 CC/SB Victory Red - SOLD to Father
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:23 PM
AJH
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Don't waste your time and money. If you want a race truck find a single cab but seeing how a trans isn't in the budget neither is a single cab or a broken dd.

Adam

2015 CCLB
2004 RC60CA LB7/ZF6 flatbed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in