assistance with vibration that starts after 45 mph and disappears at 70 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
assistance with vibration that starts after 45 mph and disappears at 70

Recently while heading out on a trip from PA to WY and blew out the lower ball joint on the drivers side, luckily in the gas station parking lot and not on the highway. 4 days and $1700 later I was back on the rd and instead of hunting heading home after the unexpected departure of funds lol.
Once home also replaced the shocks on both sides of the front, which brings the talley of replaced items on the drivers side to the lower ball joint, UCA (complete assembly), CV Axle, and Tie rod.
However, Know I have a vibration that has developed at 45 mph and then disappears at 70. I do have leaks from both front axle seals and the pinion seal on the front diff, but am curious if anything else could be causing this?
I plan on replacing the seals this weekend (weather dependent) and in all probability the lower ball joint on the passenger side (supposed to arrive tomorrow). I am hypothesizing at this point that the CV axle on the other side could have been damaged or that it could be one of the axle bearings, but the vibration seems to be coming more from the passenger side front then the drivers. As always, suggestions are def welcome as I am at a loss at the moment and don't relish the idea of completely disassembling the front diff if I don't have to.

CPT

2004 Chev 2500HD LB7 234K and counting
2" leveling keys on front, 1.5" block level to the rear, Fass 95 fuel pump, +50 HP Injectors, Banks Big Head waste gate, Banks cold air intake with scoop, Profab air horn, mishimoto thermostats (-1 deg), PPE upper and lower radiator hoses, PPE Deep Trans Pan, Fleece trans cooler lines, MBRP 4" inch exhaust and quiet muffler, MBRP Intercooler pipes- driver and passenger, fleece tie rod sleeves, LDS 64mm Super Core
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:30 PM

I would have your wheel and or wheels checked if the shop somehow swapped side on the front.

2006 GMC LBZ CCLB PPE down pipe 5" after the cat. PPE airbox mod. ATP EFI Live DSP5. CTS 2. Air Dog 165-4G.
Leveled with Bilstien 5160 front 5100 rear. PYO wheels with 285/75/16 AT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 PM
HWI

Check your wheel bearings for play and maybe see if any weights were knocked of your wheels.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM

I have had a similar issue caused by tire balance?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would be said if one of the wheel bearings/ hubs was bad as I just replaced both about 2 months ago. When I replaced the shocks after getting home the passenger side did have some movement when pressed on it at 12 and 6 but nothing major. 9 and 3 was solid.

CPT

2" leveling keys on front, 1.5" block level to the rear, Fass 95 fuel pump, +50 HP Injectors, Banks Big Head waste gate, Banks cold air intake with scoop, Profab air horn, mishimoto thermostats (-1 deg), PPE upper and lower radiator hoses, PPE Deep Trans Pan, Fleece trans cooler lines, MBRP 4" inch exhaust and quiet muffler, MBRP Intercooler pipes- driver and passenger, fleece tie rod sleeves, LDS 64mm Super Core
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So the big vibration I was feeling was the ujoint to the rear diff- according to the dealer it was blown out- not sure how but XXXX happens. Fairly certain the drivers side wheel bearing is done too (most likely from the aforementioned earlier issue since the CV axle got thrashed) as there is still a vibration past 70 but when loading out the right side via a left hand turn on the highway it lessened. So new wheel hub on order now, once in that will mean everything minus the spindle has now been replaced on the front drivers side since the Wisconsin incident.

CPT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode