Starter or Flywheel issue??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Starter or Flywheel issue???

I have an 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Quad cab. I bought it in 2004 still under warranty.
Occasionally when starting it there would be a grinding noise like the flywheel and starter were not meeting correctly. I had taken it into the dealer to fix the issue but it was so sporadic that they could never get it to happen while they had it, or they said.
Well here I am many years later and it has gotten much worse, it happens about 70% of the time and does it for several attempts before catching. I would really like to get it fixed but do not know where to start. Could it be missing teeth on the flywheel or the starter shaft, or maybe the solenoid not pushing the shaft al the way?
I would really appreciate any feedback on this.
Thanks
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Pull the starter, inspect the teeth on the gear and then slowly have someone spin the crank so you can inspect the flywheel teeth. Bench test the starter on a bench with a battery. Process of elimination.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Pull the starter and inspect the teeth on both.

If you do replace the starter, make sure it's an Hitachi, which is the OE mfr.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:58 PM

Mine will do this from time to time as well . Iím having a hard time finding a Hitachi brand . Is ACdelco any good ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:33 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsfrito View Post
Is ACdelco any good ?
OE is an Hitachi.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...31132&jsn=3009

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 09:15 AM

Check out this posting.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...r-problem.html

This is a problem that has beeen discussed for many years and no definite root cause has been identified.

Before removing the starter I would suggest trying what I have been doing for the last 5 years.

On my 2005 Duramax I have been letting the computers to fully boot and activate before I start the truck.

I wait for the HVAC system to be fully activated and the air bag system to activate. I use the wait time to fasten my seat belts and check that the mirrors are set where I want them.

Since I started doing this about 5 years ago I have not had a starter grind. Before that it would happen about 1 in 10 times.

Root Cause? I am thinking it has to do with the computer as I believe it is the computer that actually sends the start signal to the starter solenoid.

By that I mean you turn the key to start which sends a signal to the computer and if things are correct such as not in gear the computer then sends the start signal to the starter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 11:05 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

A 2002 starter is about 18 years old and definitely could be the problem. They don't last forever. And it could be the starting circuit; battery, wiring. Make absolutely certain that your batteries are up to snuff, load tested, battery cable terminals are bright, shiney, and tight on both ends - including the grounds, and the starter electrical terminals are nice and clean and tight also. The starter lives in an environment that can be problematic. Check your voltage at the starter and also on the S terminal to make sure your starter is 'seeing' the voltage of the battery, check from the battery+ terminal (not the battery cable) to the starter terminal (not the battery cable attached to the starter). If electrical is good ,i.e. actual battery voltage vs what arrives at the starter, it is time for a starter.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode