Effin driver's side axle shaft - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Effin driver's side axle shaft

Been trying to remove the driver's side stub shaft and it will not budge. I know it's a pita to get out but everything I've tried hasn't worked. I've tried the wedge tried beating it out. Only thing I haven't done is drop the whole differential out of the truck. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing out while it's still in the truck?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2006 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
345k+
Painted Stock wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:48 PM

Garage
Sorry Beard, I just went through this with my 06. I bet I threw more at it than you have, including the 10-ton porta power. The only way to get it out now is by removing it from the truck. Just so you've tried everything.... try turning the axle 90 deg and tapping it, then another 90 deg and so on. At some point you're gonna have to bite the bullet.

When it's out, remove the passenger side axle and tube. From there you can look inside past the big pin the goes between the spider gears and you can see the end of the driver side axle shaft. Use a long punch or prybar on the end of the axle shaft and hit it hard a couple times. If you're lucky it's out.

Next option, remove the insection plug and turn the gears until you see the bolt that holds the fat pin in place. In order to remove the bolt you have to take a Dremel and grind out the last 4 threads. Once you remove the bolt from the case, turn the gears so the pin can move toward the pinion. At this point you should be able to have access to a little more than 1/2 of the butt end of the driver side axle shaft. Turn your housing axle flange down and support it with some wood on both sides. Get a piece of 1/2" rebar or similar about a foot long and put it on the end of the axle shaft. I hit mine 4 times pretty hard with an 8lb maul til the snap ring broke.

I'm not saying there won't be damage cause there might be. My snap ring groove was minimally deformed but still usable.

I'll see if I have any pictures, but that won't be until tomorrow.

Best of luck, Jack

06 GMC 2500hd ccsb, slt trim, victory red, used mainly for towing 2018 Reflection 303rls fifth wheel.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:07 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Slide hammer?

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDmax16 View Post
Slide hammer?
I've read people using them but I don't think there's any room. I don't have one so I'd have to rent it and see if it will fit.

2006 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
345k+
Painted Stock wheels
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedlbzguy View Post
Been trying to remove the driver's side stub shaft and it will not budge. I know it's a pita to get out but everything I've tried hasn't worked. I've tried the wedge tried beating it out. Only thing I haven't done is drop the whole differential out of the truck. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing out while it's still in the truck?

I assume you're talking about getting the splined shaft out of the hub. I have some suggestions...

1. Heat the shaft and hub but be careful to not get it so hot that you cook grease or melt plastic if you're reusing the hub. Then use a candle to sweat some wax into the splines and try knocking it out again. If you don't have a candle, you can try WD40 or another penetrant first.

Or

2. Heat the shaft and hub, again, not too hot if reusing. Use some ice cubes to cool the shaft WITHOUT cooling the hub and try knocking it out again. If you have a local source for dry ice, that's even better. Cold spray would also work if you can avoid spraying the hub.

You want to keep the o.d. (hub) hot and the i.d. (shaft) cold. The greater the temperature differential, the better.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDmax16 View Post
Slide hammer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedlbzguy View Post
I've read people using them but I don't think there's any room. I don't have one so I'd have to rent it and see if it will fit.

A few years ago I was doing a full rebuild on my front end, and the axle seals were leaking too so I wanted to replace them. I tried everything I could to get that left stub out of the differential. Ended up dropping the front diff and taking it to work so I could use a coworkers slide hammer and clean everything up really well. Put the slid hammer on there, slid out to the end of the shaft to gauge my throw, hit the end of it with just a little pull and the damn thing popped right out... I was so mad... but glad it came out. Even if you have a short throw on the slide, if it pulls the stub evenly it should pop out pretty easy. Maybe a steering wheel puller modified to get it bolted in and make a slide for it? Its a helluva lot easier than pulling the diff, I can tell you that lol

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXfirefighter View Post
A few years ago I was doing a full rebuild on my front end, and the axle seals were leaking too so I wanted to replace them. I tried everything I could to get that left stub out of the differential. Ended up dropping the front diff and taking it to work so I could use a coworkers slide hammer and clean everything up really well. Put the slid hammer on there, slid out to the end of the shaft to gauge my throw, hit the end of it with just a little pull and the damn thing popped right out... I was so mad... but glad it came out. Even if you have a short throw on the slide, if it pulls the stub evenly it should pop out pretty easy. Maybe a steering wheel puller modified to get it bolted in and make a slide for it? Its a helluva lot easier than pulling the diff, I can tell you that lol
Are we talking about getting the splined cv axle shaft out of the hub or the shaft that's in the differential that the cv axles bolt to, out of the diff?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM
John Deere Parts guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post
Are we talking about getting the splined cv axle shaft out of the hub or the shaft that's in the differential that the cv axles bolt to, out of the diff?
I gathered it as the stub shaft in the differential that the cv axle bolts to, being that @beardedlbzguy refers to pulling the complete differential

Name: Matt
ASE Certified, former GM Parts guy
John Deere Service Manager

Play Truck - 2002 LB7 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
Daily/Tow Rig - 2006 LLZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed

SOLD - 2007 LBZ 2500HD Standard Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2006 LBZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed
SOLD - 2004 LLY 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
TRADED - 2002 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed
SOLD - 2001 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Bed
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 AM

Well shit...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:40 PM

Garage
Beard, in my first reply I said to grind out the last 4 threads. I meant to say the last 4 threads of the inspection plug hole. Here's a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191003_130351.jpg (55.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20191003_132212.jpg (55.6 KB, 33 views)

06 GMC 2500hd ccsb, slt trim, victory red, used mainly for towing 2018 Reflection 303rls fifth wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode