clunking/snapping noise in front end on 4wd? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:18 PM

Back up from the dead, nearly 5 years ago - did you ever solve this as I have a very similar problem. In short, under power,(heavy power), big clunking/something clearly not right. The 4wd selector motor was new from last year and I can switch into 4wd low, so it is moving fine. I have replaced the front diff solenoid. Drained and replaced front diff and transfer case fluids. Seems like the clutches that let you engage 4wd hi at moderate speeds are slipping? Is that possible? I'll post a separate thread, but wanted to see if you figured it out. I have an 03 2500HD with the duramax. 4wd, lowered a little, so no lift.
-Bobby

'03 GMC 2500HD 4wd w/ Swapped LLY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Yes... I would have to say I figured it out. Although it took a fed ex truck broadsiding me to find the problem. A new transfer case and new transmission solved the problem. Not to make light of the situation... but my 2005 finally runs like new again. The broadside was in the drivers rear door and gas cap area.... I was spun around.... and that was it.
I took it to my dealership, and said FIX IT ALL. I got it back with a list of things that were related to the drive train... that almost ANY could have been the issue. I asked my mechanics, and they all said... "transfer case." I was surprised my truck was not totaled, as the damage was over 10k.... but my truck now has only one issue. Rust on the rocker panels. Other than that... it's almost all new with 134k on the odometer. It never had any frame damage, only exterior panels needed replacing, a new door ... paint, and parts I said I never had an issue with before accident. I got a sweet settlement out of the deal and I just wanted it all fixed.

If I was a betting man.... it's your cv joints/transfer case/bearings.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Oh... I NEVER go from 2 to 4 wheel drive while in drive. I always put it in neutral first. It's been over 1 year... not a problem. I drive maybe 10 miles a week too. I am permanently disabled.....

My truck will be up for sale soon.... as I just do not need it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter61073 View Post
I changed the fluid in the transfer case... I ended up changeing my front wheel bearings, due to the one being bad, and a bad ABS sensor. NOW, I need a couple new tie rods. No big deal really... simple stuff. BUT I REALLY need to get this 4x4 clunking sound figured out. When it was wet/slippery and raining the other day. I was out testing it. When the drive train is under stress of power... it does it... when off the gas, it goes away. The noise gets louder and softer... it is not a constant noise. CV joint?? Is there a shop that will tell me what my problems are for a minimal cost??
Come on you 4x4 chevy guys... get in the game and help a poor guy out. As disabled as I am... when I DO do my truck repairs... I am bedbound for the entire next day. I need to get this solved before winter smacks me in the face.
Did anyone ever figure this out ? I have an 03 Burb doing the same thing almost to the Exact description. I just changed out the case on the transfer case from the hole they get from the oiler inside. Put new gear lube in it. No problems on the lift in 4 high or low. Turning the wheels left and right. Of course there is no load at this point. This was with the front drive shaft in and out to isolate the transfer case.

On the road it clunks in turns and not on the straight away. I am going to check the ride height on the torsion bars. They are maxed out now, but was never a problem before. The 4x4 also was not working then. Possible the ride height is too high and causing the CV to bind ?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:55 PM

Yours sounds different than the OP and mine. For mine, it ended up being worn clutches in the transfer case. I had driven from Greensboro, NC to Rhode Island after Christmas break last year with it snowing most of the way. I was doing at least 30-40 mph most of the way with most of the trip at 60-80mph. I was in 4wd the entire time. That, it turns out, is a big NO-NO. The clutches always slip a little front to rear and aren't designed to be running full time at speeds above 40-45mph. I was at 60+ for about 10 of the 13 hours driving....
So in short, I wore the clutches that allow engagement of the transfer case at speeds other than 0 mph. Replacement transfer case solved my problem immediately. I had also changed the fluid, the front diff actuator and the transfer case motor had been previously replaced before the issue.
Hope that narrows some issues for you. In my case, it was clunking under power application more than very light throttle. Turning wasn't really an issue for me.

'03 GMC 2500HD 4wd w/ Swapped LLY.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:44 PM

I have a 1997 chevy suburban 4wd and while in 4wd it was making a loud clanging noise when accelerating in 4wd hi or 4wd lo. Anyways everything underneath was tight and no play. I couldn't figure it out. It has the dash 2wd 4wd hi and 4wd lo electric switch it wasn't flashing while in 4wd hi or low and you could hear an engagement sound when 4wd selected. I thought it maybe it was the front crown and pinion gear missing a tooth. I took it to the mechanic and it was the 4wd actuator! I guess it was gimped up and engaging and disengaging while in 4wd and making a horrible clanging noise. Anyways I replaced the actuator myself a few years ago (which was possibly the easiest repair ever) but the 4wd light was flashing and it wasn't engaging at that time. Anyways it cost me a fair bit more to have a mechanic diagnose and then replace the actuator but if it happens again I'll know what it is. Also I may be able to help someone else searching online for an answer. It's a fairly cheap fix to do yourself and super simple to do. About $60 from 1aauto! Hope this helps someone out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode