clunking/snapping noise in front end on 4wd? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

clunking/snapping noise in front end on 4wd?

When I put the truck in 4 wheel hi, and turn a corner... I get a pulling clunking snapping noise in the front end. It is bad enough to where I can feel it at my feet. When going straight, it is fine. Any ideas as to what to look for here? Is this a U joint problem in the front axle? Can someone show me a link to the schematics of the front end and tell me what the heck to look for here please. My Wife will be needing to drive my truck this winter, and I need to make sure nothing is going to snap on here while commuting to her work.
THANKS ahead of time peeps.
It feels like it is coming from the drivers side front. I have checked for play in the axle, and there is none. I'm lost here, but not afraid to tackle the problem, if no special tools are required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

whats the angle of your CV joints??

does it ONLY do it in 4wd?

CCSB LB7 4x4
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

mines doing it too but i have play in the front axles. has done it in both 2wd and 4wd more so in 4wd. any help please???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Hang it!...Fire!

are you guys running lifts

Max - 07 LBZ ECLB LOWERED!
Plugged, Rerouted, Blocked, PPE Mod, DE 5 inch, DE 3inch DP, EFI Live DSP-5 by IDAHO ROB, Insight, Raptor 150,
Transgo Jr, Nicktane, PROEFX Steel Roll Pan, XD Revolvers -24 Offset 20x10 w/ 305/50 Nitto 420s, Alligator Sleeves,
Belltech 3inch drop shackles, T Bar bolts all the way out, DDM Tuning 6000k Low/3000k Fog, and about 50lbs of Zipties
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

It is all stock... So as to the angle... I'm really not sure what you mean.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

and yes... ONLY 4wd
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

found my problem..... snapped a cv axle anyone know of any aftermarket ones????

07 gmc 2500hd ccsb LMM 4wd 6" rancho lift, moto metal wheels with 35's AT's. Spray in bed liner, Gooseneck hitch,Billet grill

88 monte carlo ss 383 being built
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM

You do realise that you should not be in 4 wheel drive when the roads are not slippery. There is no inter axle differential.
I have a 2007.5 and know a lot of people with the same vehicle, and never seen a front axle problem in the GM's I have done a lot of "U" joints and front drive axles in the Fords.

I have worked on engines all my life, spent 19 years at FreightlinnerI live in the Kootenay region of B.C. I have a 2007 NBS White 3500 GMC SLE Duramax Alison 17 inch aluminum SRW Crew-cab long-box White linex in the box and black in the wheel wells BW turn-over ball. all stock.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

hunter grab the CV axle and see if you have play in it.. more than just a few thousandths I could see the end of the shaft trying to come through the boot. if so it's the CV axle

07 gmc 2500hd ccsb LMM 4wd 6" rancho lift, moto metal wheels with 35's AT's. Spray in bed liner, Gooseneck hitch,Billet grill

88 monte carlo ss 383 being built
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I changed the fluid in the transfer case... I ended up changeing my front wheel bearings, due to the one being bad, and a bad ABS sensor. NOW, I need a couple new tie rods. No big deal really... simple stuff. BUT I REALLY need to get this 4x4 clunking sound figured out. When it was wet/slippery and raining the other day. I was out testing it. When the drive train is under stress of power... it does it... when off the gas, it goes away. The noise gets louder and softer... it is not a constant noise. CV joint?? Is there a shop that will tell me what my problems are for a minimal cost??
Come on you 4x4 chevy guys... get in the game and help a poor guy out. As disabled as I am... when I DO do my truck repairs... I am bedbound for the entire next day. I need to get this solved before winter smacks me in the face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode