Runs Rough & Dies - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Runs Rough & Dies

I have a 2013 Duramax with 148k miles. I have taken very good care of it with routine oil, air and fuel filter changes. When I remote start or start with no throttle, it dies. When I started answer use a little throttle it runs rough. If I start and use moderate throttle it does just fine. I read on another post about the dying issue could be caused by the factor bleeder screw being cracked. I replaced it with a billet one. It seems like it is getting worse. Any help wouldbe great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I would clean BOTH the MAF and MAP sensors with MAF cleaner. MAF tells the ECM how much air and at what density is entering the engine, and the MAP tells the ECM what the vacuum or boost pressure is. Both are used in determining how muh fuel to inject into the engine. If either are off, engine will run poorly. Then I would get a tool, like a scanner, that will tell you the temp seen by the CTS, Coolant Temp Sensor. My truck has 2 of those one to send info to the ECM, and another to run the gauge in the dash. See if they both agree and have the correct temps. You can buy ELM DLC appliances that connect to your car and phone and give you data readings, hopefully the CTS. Make sure your air cleaner is clean and not an oiled gauze type.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

^ try the above but you also need to check/log desired vs actual fuel rail pressure. If its jumping around alot it could be a fpr going bad. I would also check the balance rates of the injectors and return rates.

My name is Nic
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
Lil ole single s400, fuel,
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Various parts from SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD
Wiles Diesel Performance
Woodstock, Va
Contact me For Unleashed Duramax Tuning
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Okay, this morning I tried something on a hunch. I used the bleed pump to pressure the system up and then tried starting the truck. It started and ran perfectly. I guess my system is loosing pressure but I don't know where to start looking. A friend said the factory bleeder screws are bad about leaking so I replaced it with a billet one but the problems is still there. If the truck sits for several hours, it will start right up but die pretty quick. If I use a little throttle while starting to keep it idled up it does just fine. Any ideas?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
The bleeder screw seals with an O-ring...sealing it off before the screw bottoms out (so no need to torque it like a lug nut), and with it under vacuum draw, it's not coming loose.

So finger tight is all that's needed. Replacing with metal won't make it seal any better, but has a 'good feel' factor.

There are several seals in the filter head that can fail, the bleeder screw one, is only one spot.
You can 'try' a rebuild kit, but not all potential leak areas of the filter head are serviceable.

If the seal kit doesn't work, replace the whole head with a new one, also replacing the two fuel lines to and from it.

More rare than the filter head leaking, is the fuel module in the tank and the seal on the quick connect line there, on top of the tank.

Start with one, work to the next.
Always good in troubleshooting a start then die problem, is to check that primer button for firmness, so as to rule out loss of prime and a leak source aerating the fuel supply.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 04-21-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode