LLY Wheel Bearing..... - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugerif View Post
Hereís what happened to mine... make certain the 36mm nut it secured.
The nut has nothing to do with keeping the wheels on.

This same bearing is used in two wheel drive trucks. No half shaft. No Nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I understand that the wheels are held on by the lugs. However if you notice the hub snapped off at the bearing. Complete failure of the metal from stress because the 36mm nut backed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Quote:
Here’s what happened to mine... make certain the 36mm nut it secured.
The nut has nothing to do with keeping the wheels on.

This same bearing is used in two wheel drive trucks. No half shaft. No Nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0777F43C-E254-4D9D-91C4-8F9D0F691AA6_1555682831134.jpg (30.6 KB, 42 views)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Complete failure of the metal from stress because the 36mm nut backed off.
Nope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
So, I'm cruzing down the freeway tonight at about 85..... and the ABS light come on.

Which is weird... since it's never come on before, and I had not touched the brakes.

Then, about 10 miles later all hell breaks loose, and between the noise and vibration I think the right front wheel is going to leave!! I pull off, limp it home on city streets and get it into the driveway.

I jack it up, and the bearing is toast! It even started to turn blue.( old on the left, new on the right)

They are easy to change, so I swap it out in about a hour. Theres a few how to's posted on the site, in case you dont know the procedure.

The moral of the story? About 2 years ago https://dmaxstore.com/ had a good sale on Timkens, so I picked up a pair. 2 for $400, or something like that. They have been sitting on my shelf, just waiting for the day....

If you own a Duramax for ANY length of time, things will go wrong!

Plan ahead, and get your spares in place before you need them... and when the site vendors have a sale, there is no better time to do so!!

Also, if your driving (or Towing!) and the ABS light comes on, remember this thread and check your wheel bearings!
That's a bummer Timken used to be a good bearing, I stopped using the aftermarket parts for this same reason but my turning point was a power steering pump, after all my wasted time i asked around and was told about a couple of gm websites that sell only o.e. parts but super cheap. check out this link it shows the factory o.e. prices for your front wheel bearing. maybe it can't help you now but maybe in the future i buy all my parts here now. https://www.gmpartsprime.com/Page_Pr...=wheel+bearing or you can try https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/ their both great sites plus all the parts are covered by gm's warranty.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:18 AM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD91733 View Post
That's a bummer Timken used to be a good bearing, I stopped using the aftermarket parts for this same reason but my turning point was a power steering pump, after all my wasted time i asked around and was told about a couple of gm websites that sell only o.e. parts but super cheap.
I think you misread his post. He's saying he had Timken wheel bearings on the shelf and hadn't installed them until the one on the truck failed. Timken is one of the best, if not the best.
AlisoBob likes this.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode