LLY Wheel Bearing..... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

LLY Wheel Bearing.....

So, I'm cruzing down the freeway tonight at about 85..... and the ABS light come on.

Which is weird... since it's never come on before, and I had not touched the brakes.

Then, about 10 miles later all hell breaks loose, and between the noise and vibration I think the right front wheel is going to leave!! I pull off, limp it home on city streets and get it into the driveway.

I jack it up, and the bearing is toast! It even started to turn blue.( old on the left, new on the right)

They are easy to change, so I swap it out in about a hour. Theres a few how to's posted on the site, in case you dont know the procedure.

The moral of the story? About 2 years ago https://dmaxstore.com/ had a good sale on Timkens, so I picked up a pair. 2 for $400, or something like that. They have been sitting on my shelf, just waiting for the day....

If you own a Duramax for ANY length of time, things will go wrong!

Plan ahead, and get your spares in place before you need them... and when the site vendors have a sale, there is no better time to do so!!

Also, if your driving (or Towing!) and the ABS light comes on, remember this thread and check your wheel bearings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

I give the wheel bearings a shake every time I've got it up on my hoist. Replaced both, one about 40K miles and one about 20K miles ago. I tow a lot and don't relish the idea of having to replace one a long way from my shop...and toolbox...

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

This is why I carry pretty much my entire tool box in my box on the truck. Given I wouldnt have had a wheel bearing with me but could do it in a parking lot after buying one.
mray and DaJokr like this.

NIC R
"Flat Back Gorilla" Daily/Tow rig- 04 GMC Sierra LB7 CC Flatbed/Tune/Exhaust
"Empty Pockets" Race/Pulling truck- 2012 CCSB Cummins/Built Engine/48RE Swap/PCS2000/
B&M Ratchet shifter/Big fuel/Big air/Lowered

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:48 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGorillaLML View Post
This is why I carry pretty much my entire tool box in my box on the truck. Given I wouldnt have had a wheel bearing with me but could do it in a parking lot after buying one.
Morale of the story? Bring Nic with you...and a case of beer. Beer makes every probkem seem small

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:42 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

More like a bottle of Jameson. My Irish blooded son ain't named that for no reason

NIC R
"Flat Back Gorilla" Daily/Tow rig- 04 GMC Sierra LB7 CC Flatbed/Tune/Exhaust
"Empty Pockets" Race/Pulling truck- 2012 CCSB Cummins/Built Engine/48RE Swap/PCS2000/
B&M Ratchet shifter/Big fuel/Big air/Lowered

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
Do you have mud tires on your truck? Had to of made some noise before that happened.

2005 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB
Superchip
Volant CAI
S&B turbo inlet
Stock exhaust
305/55/20 Falken A/T3
Granite All Terrian rims
Bilstein 5100's
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Nope, just some Michelin LTX M/S2's.

I live at the bottom hill and I have to turn left to get on my street ( which loads the right side bearing)

About a week ago I thought I heard something making this turn, but I never heard it again, so I just blew it off.

Dumb, it was trying to tell me something.

I swapped out the left side today, it appeared fine.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

My wifes Tahoe just had a wheel bearing go out. She did say it makes a squeaky noise and I told her it's just a grain of sand in the brakes and keep driving. Well she complained again about a week later so I took it for a drive and I didnt notice anything. When I got home I felt the tire tread and drivers front had irregular wear on the inside. So I jacked it up to have a look and as soon as the tire left contact with the concrete I saw the tire move. I could move the top back and forth about 2"! So I replaced that hub, and she says it drives so much straighter now with less wandering. I rotated the tires on the last oil change and didnt notice anything unusual so they can go out pretty quickly with minimal signs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
LMLLover likes this.

My name is Dan, I drive a 2005 2500hd ccsb lly 4x4, victory red, Efi live Robs trans safe tunes, Edge cts w/pyro, Silverline 5" exhaust, Magnaflow downpipe, LML ds manifold, Arp head studs, S&b turbo inlet, S&b cai dry filter, Ppe shim kit, drilled fuel rails, B&w turnover gooseneck, Ma welded waterpump, Profab egr delete, Fass titanium 150, Beans fuel sump, Ma pump rub plate, 285/75-16 duratrac on stock rims, Kryptonite tie rod & centerlink, Kryptonite sway bar end links, kryptonite lower ball joints Rare parts extreme duty pitman and idler arms, Dhd steering brace, Alligator 5/8" trans lines.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
I had to put one on my truck after getting stuck and being pulled sideways. Wasn't 2 weeks after that is when it went bad. I wasn't happy that the Moog wheel bearing was made in China after all my other Moog parts were made in the USA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2005 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB
Superchip
Volant CAI
S&B turbo inlet
Stock exhaust
305/55/20 Falken A/T3
Granite All Terrian rims
Bilstein 5100's
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Here’s what happened to mine... make certain the 36mm nut it secured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
So, I'm cruzing down the freeway tonight at about 85..... and the ABS light come on.

Which is weird... since it's never come on before, and I had not touched the brakes.

Then, about 10 miles later all hell breaks loose, and between the noise and vibration I think the right front wheel is going to leave!! I pull off, limp it home on city streets and get it into the driveway.

I jack it up, and the bearing is toast! It even started to turn blue.( old on the left, new on the right)

They are easy to change, so I swap it out in about a hour. Theres a few how to's posted on the site, in case you dont know the procedure.

The moral of the story? About 2 years ago https://dmaxstore.com/ had a good sale on Timkens, so I picked up a pair. 2 for $400, or something like that. They have been sitting on my shelf, just waiting for the day....

If you own a Duramax for ANY length of time, things will go wrong!

Plan ahead, and get your spares in place before you need them... and when the site vendors have a sale, there is no better time to do so!!

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]

Also, if your driving (or Towing!) and the ABS light comes on, remember this thread and check your wheel bearings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAA1F160-82DF-4631-A9AE-CD60E30FC562_1555678306803.jpg (30.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg C2DCCDEB-53A7-4E54-AAC9-76FCB2301DDD_1555678399528.jpg (31.9 KB, 48 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode