Rear brake noise - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Drivetrain Discussion on gearing, CV joints, driveshafts, axles, brakes, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Rear brake noise

I have a 2005 Chevy Dully 3500 RWD. I recently had a brake issue and had to change the RR rotor and caliper and the wheel seal. In the process I decided to also replace the LR caliper wasn't necessary but I decided to replace them both the rotor was fine. I then rotated the tires which are oversized 235-85-16 the truck calls for 245-75-16 I have spacers between the tires. When I spin the rear wheels I heard a grinding sound. I checked and found that the top of the new caliper bracket was rubbing against the inside of the rim. I took the new brackets that came with the calipers off and installed the old brackets, but it still rubs against the inside of the rim. It didn't rub before this brake job or at least I don't THINK it was rubbing. My next step is to rotate the tires back to were they were, but if that doesn't change anything I'm at a loss. Could the rims be bending they are 14 years old. The truck only has 90K on it. Its an truck when I need one. I put at most 1K per year on it. Its garage kept. Any ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:51 AM

If you still have the old calipers, compare with the new ones, may be a casting error or design change.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Rear Brake noise

The calipers are on right the bleeders are on top. I spray painted the inside of the rim then reinstalled the wheels, and took it out for a drive. Upon removing the wheels, the inside rims were not touched by the caliper or bracket. So, it not a caliper or bracket rubbing on the rim. If I take both wheels off then rotate the axle, no grinding, If I bolt down just the inside wheel then rotate the tire by hand, I can hear it grind. If I just put the outside tire on only then rotate it by hand, no grinding. There is no problem with the left rear the grinding is only on the right rear, the one I replaced the rotor, caliper and wheel seal on. Could the rotor be grinding against something when the wheels are on? My other thought is a wheel bearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:09 PM

Did you get all of the wheel seal off? If not, it will cause the hub to not seat properly and you may have issues with the rotor hitting the caliper bracket. Also, did you adjust the emergency brake? Those can rub slightly and cause noises.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I believe that I got all of the seal off. I didn't adjust the emergency brake that's something I'll do. I believe that I will be pulling the rotor back off. but why does it only grind when the inside wheel is on. If I just bolt the spacer without the inside tire on it doesn't grind. I think there is the same amount of torque on the rotor with the inside wheel on or off. Could the weight of the inside wheel which I believe sets right above the inside wheel bearing be causing the grinding if it is starting to fail. If I just put the outside wheel on, which sets on the outside bearing would that take the pressure of the inside bearing? I believe there is two sets of wheel bearings. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:13 PM

Inside wheel changes the way the hub sits by torquing it.

IIRC the inside wheel bearing is held in by either the oil seal or a snap ring.

The factory oil seals are 2 piece and the internal part of the ring is known to stay on the axle shaft and looks like part of it. That oil seal has caused several people lots of problems. I got lucky and noticed it on mine when I did the first seal.

Did you notice if the axle nut shows the same number of threads as before? If its farther out, that is an indication that the seal part is still on there.

Try installing the inner wheel and the spacer at the same time to see if the grinding goes away. Could be that the lug nuts do not go on far enough to seat the rim completely and is letting it move around a bit.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

I believe the seal that I got was one piece, I will be pulling the rotor off tomorrow and checking everything. I've installed the inner wheel and spacer and torque them down the wheel is tight but it still grinds. I didn't pay any attention to the axle nut when I did it 2 weeks ago. I saw on youtube that you torque the nut to 50 pounds than back it of, that's what I did.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Even if the new seal is one piece and not 2 like the original, its the original seal that was 2 piece.

About the 12:30 mark when he pulls the hub off, he points out the inner seal that stays behind and looks like part of the axle. There was a good write up with pictures on here however I think the pictures got lost in one of the server upgrades.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Rear Brake noise

Well I took it all apart and can't find anything wrong. I took pictures I will try to post them. Both front and rear bearings look fine I took the rear one out and check it. The front one I just rolled it, it run smooth. I am at a lose as to what the problem is. Is there any way to post pictures?
File Type: jpg 20190904_100616.jpg (51.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20190904_100631.jpg (87.5 KB, 22 views)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:52 PM

In the second picture, it appears that there is an undercut where the seal sits and the bearing rides.

Are there any fresh scrapes on the dust shield where the drum fits it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode