Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2000 Escalade Duramax swap

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MIkey52 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Cadillac Escalade that I got about a year ago. It was a flood vehicle in hurricane Harvey. I've done some work to repair the flood damage and have since put a 6" lift on it. I am also building a GM 14 Bolt full floater to put under the rear and am waiting for some American Forces to be dropped at my door. The ultimate goal for this is to use it as to haul my boat (which I don't have yet.) And I don't have much faith in the 350/4l60/10 bolt combo. Hence the 14 bolt swap. Now I want a diesel so I'll have way more power than I could ever use. But I just don't know where to start. I am going to ask the questions that I have and hopefully some more experienced people can lead me in the right direction.

1. What variations of the Duramax would work for this application? Year/model/vehicle? I've seen some Duramax vans going for $3500 with 300k miles. Would this work for my project or should I stick to the trucks?

2. I'm sure the Allison would be a pain to fit into the Escalade, and I kinda want to retain the push button 4x4. What transmissions will bolt to the Duramax that could *possibly* bolt to my stock t-case? Or would it be possible to use a different, maybe stronger t-case and still retain the push button?

3. What all is involved in doing a swap like this? Obviously I'll have to swap the engine, wiring, and computer. But what else is needed? (Different turbo, transmission controller, emissions delete, etc.)

How I'm hoping this goes is that someone here can "walk me through the process." I want this done by next year and my budget is around $20k, although I don't expect it to cost near that much. Any help or guidance is appreciated! TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
So I think I know the route I'm going in regards to the t-case/transmission. Now I don't have all the details about this yet, but I'll give you my thought process. The Escalade came with a NP243 transfer case. I was originally wondering if the NP243 will bolt to a 4l80. Turns out it will. I saw something today on YouTube where a guy put a NP241 on an Allison. I know the 4l80 will also bolt to an NP241.. So I'm thinking I can stick with the stock, NP243 T-case. maybe buy an adapuand change the input shaft, but I think it'll work! I'll have to do some more research, but that's where I'm currently at.

#3 ·
Something I read a while ago, is to try and swap engines of the same year or series. That way most of the harnesses will mate up to the other computers. Other wise the pin outs may be different between years, even though the connectors are the same. The mechanical part is doable easy enough, the electronics are a nightmare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.