Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Turbo brake

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  nastynotchback1 
#1 ·
I am supposed to have a turbo brake option on my tow tune. How do you know it's working? Doesn't feel any different to me. Thanks.

#2 ·
Are you running with T/H on?

#3 ·
Put turbo boost as a pid on your cts2. When you're in tow/haul, above about 1,800 rpm in 2nd gear, or in any higher gear, let off the throttle. You'll see boost and feel the truck slowing.

#4 ·
Testing the turbo brake function before towing.
It works best with towhaul engaged, manual shift, select maybe 3rd or 4th gear, get your rpms up above about 2500, then let off the throttle.
Feel the drag slowing you down if you have it.

Turbo brake kicks out around 1500-1800 rpms, you’ll pretty much will never have the function working in drive.
That’s why I run my heavy tow tune with turbo brake as my only tune running 24/7 365.

If you want to view the turbo brake functioning on your CTS select “Turbo Vane Position” as one of your pids.
Bottom right (9%) this is while idling (rumble tune) when the turbo brake is doing its job it should be about 98%-100% which is closed.

Attachments

Reactions: denarli6.6
#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize it doesn't work below 1800rpm. That's why I haven't noticed it. I always run with t/h on. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

#6 ·
Well I tried what y'all said. Works like a champ. Thanks

Reactions: wh20crazy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.