Tuning Questions - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
EFI Live Place for your EFI questions

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Tuning Questions

I have a few questions about EFI live that i have tried to search for and answer on my own but most of what i have found seems to either contradict other information, or is vague on what trucks it applies to so if theres any EFI live Gurus out there, i would appreciate a few minutes of you time.

1) Who, if anyone is still doing delete tunes for LML trucks? i have a 15.5 and im getting pretty tired of being in regen every constantly and the stink of regen is terrible.

1.5) Of those tuners who, if any, are still doing delete tunes, who would be the best to go with? I have seen some indications that PPIE is still doing delete tunes and they appear to be a strong favorite among most users on this site but i am open to all suggestions.

2) What needs to be removed from the truck. I have heard that the only part that NEEDS to be removed is the DPF, and the rest of it can be passively disabled via tuning. If this is true, can the rest of the emissions system be deleted at a later date without changing the tune? I dont really want to spend a day under the truck outside in winter if i dont need to.

2.5) If i deleted everything, i would basically be looking at a turbo back exhaust, EGR delete kit, new up pipe and new y bridge and intake. is there anything else im missing in there that would be needed to get all the extra crap off the engine. I dont mind the urea tank staying where it is, its not really in the way. if im going to physically remove the parts i want to do it right, and not worry about up pipes cracking and block off plates rupturing.

3) i would be looking at a 5 switch tune, i have seen posts that indicate the 5 positions tunes work differently than on previous generations of trucks with the LML, basically it was made to sound as if you did not REALLY get 5 different unique tunes but basically one tune that you could augment the performance of based on the position of the switch.

4) I would like a CTS in the truck, the EZ lynk sounds all fun and new but it also sounds like a bunch of potential headaches and problems. Id prefer a hardwired system like the CTS if possible. I do not have any licencing or any EFI live products or hardware at this time, i would be starting totally fresh with a basically stock truck.

Thanks for your time, i know its a fairly lengthy post.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
I have a few questions about EFI live that i have tried to search for and answer on my own but most of what i have found seems to either contradict other information, or is vague on what trucks it applies to so if theres any EFI live Gurus out there, i would appreciate a few minutes of you time.
Im certainly no "EFI Live Guru" but I will give you my thoughts

Quote:
1) Who, if anyone is still doing delete tunes for LML trucks? i have a 15.5 and im getting pretty tired of being in regen every constantly and the stink of regen is terrible.

1.5) Of those tuners who, if any, are still doing delete tunes, who would be the best to go with? I have seen some indications that PPIE is still doing delete tunes and they appear to be a strong favorite among most users on this site but i am open to all suggestions.
I know PPEI is still doing them. I have heard that some of his tunes tend to smoke, so if you don't want that then just be sure to let them know when ordering the tuning. I would probably call them first and let them know precisely what you want instead of going through some other installer, so you can get them to tweak the tunes for your needs.

Quote:
2) What needs to be removed from the truck. I have heard that the only part that NEEDS to be removed is the DPF, and the rest of it can be passively disabled via tuning. If this is true, can the rest of the emissions system be deleted at a later date without changing the tune? I dont really want to spend a day under the truck outside in winter if i dont need to.
You will probably need to either block the EGR or completely remove the EGR and its cooler.

Id recommend removing the cooler completely because this also eliminates the possibility of an EGR cooler leaking coolant into your cylinders at a later date.

I also like the Sinister Diesel delete kit, but it does not include a new up pipe so if you want that other kits would be better.

Quote:
2.5) If i deleted everything, i would basically be looking at a turbo back exhaust, EGR delete kit, new up pipe and new y bridge and intake. is there anything else im missing in there that would be needed to get all the extra crap off the engine. I dont mind the urea tank staying where it is, its not really in the way. if im going to physically remove the parts i want to do it right, and not worry about up pipes cracking and block off plates rupturing.
Since you dont' like the smell of the regen exhaust you will HATE the smell of yoru exhaust if you do a Turbo Back Exhaust, it StINKS, ALL the time.

Id recommend leaving the CAT on (it does not significantly restrict the exhaust anyway). You will most likely get a loud drone with the CAT removed as well, which I found particularly annoying due to having to talk VERY loud just to have a conversation with front seat passenger.

Then you have two choices, a CAT back Exhaust or just a DPF delete pipe like the one made by Flo-Pro.

Quote:
3) i would be looking at a 5 switch tune, i have seen posts that indicate the 5 positions tunes work differently than on previous generations of trucks with the LML, basically it was made to sound as if you did not REALLY get 5 different unique tunes but basically one tune that you could augment the performance of based on the position of the switch.
Id call PPEI directly to confirm all of the above.

Quote:
4) I would like a CTS in the truck, the EZ lynk sounds all fun and new but it also sounds like a bunch of potential headaches and problems. Id prefer a hardwired system like the CTS if possible. I do not have any licencing or any EFI live products or hardware at this time, i would be starting totally fresh with a basically stock truck.
I have a CTS Insight and Love it!

As far as EFI Live hardware, you can get the tunes and an AutoCAL to use in flashing the ECM from PPEI along with the tunes.

Once again, a phone call to PPEI would be very helpful in making your decision

Quote:
Thanks for your time, i know its a fairly lengthy post.
Im sure you will get more replys, all different thinking. This is must my .02

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 03-02-2019 at 05:30 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Recent info shows EPPA has gone after exhaust mfr's....who now no longer offer their wares as a result.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:49 AM

New here I am looking at tuning also but more monitoring my truck egts regens and so on who likes what thanks

2015.5 gmc Lml 2500 slt double cab no modifications
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovtlml View Post
New here I am looking at tuning also but more monitoring my truck egts regens and so on who likes what thanks
Consider this thread First:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...l#post12085315

FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:04 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If your not able to buy exhaust for deleting you can always put your own exhaust together, using catback exhaust for a 2005 Duramax.

Back in 08 Flowpro was the only company that offered a DPF only delete pipe at $380.
I added a 17” extension (couldn’t find the pic) to what’s pictured with a 3 bolt flange to bolt up to the rear section where the muffler was.

Depending on your exhaust if it has the 4 bolt flange after the cat and if it’s a short or long bed you’d be able to put your own together.
Besides a exhaust clamp for the 4bolt flange, the other clamps are only for support.

EFI, MotorOps might be the better/best choice if you can’t find anyone else besides PPEI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 505A2241-F87A-4BD8-B79A-CBB93A277C54.jpeg (73.9 KB, 107 views)

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Im certainly no "EFI Live Guru" but I will give you my thoughts

I know PPEI is still doing them. I have heard that some of his tunes tend to smoke, so if you don't want that then just be sure to let them know when ordering the tuning. I would probably call them first and let them know precisely what you want instead of going through some other installer, so you can get them to tweak the tunes for your needs.

You will probably need to either block the EGR or completely remove the EGR and its cooler.

Id recommend removing the cooler completely because this also eliminates the possibility of an EGR cooler leaking coolant into your cylinders at a later date.

I also like the Sinister Diesel delete kit, but it does not include a new up pipe so if you want that other kits would be better.

Since you dont' like the smell of the regen exhaust you will HATE the smell of yoru exhaust if you do a Turbo Back Exhaust, it StINKS, ALL the time.

Id recommend leaving the CAT on (it does not significantly restrict the exhaust anyway). You will most likely get a loud drone with the CAT removed as well, which I found particularly annoying due to having to talk VERY loud just to have a conversation with front seat passenger.

Then you have two choices, a CAT back Exhaust or just a DPF delete pipe like the one made by Flo-Pro.

Id call PPEI directly to confirm all of the above.

I have a CTS Insight and Love it!

As far as EFI Live hardware, you can get the tunes and an AutoCAL to use in flashing the ECM from PPEI along with the tunes.

Once again, a phone call to PPEI would be very helpful in making your decision

Im sure you will get more replys, all different thinking. This is must my .02

Thanks for the information. Do you know why the deleted truck stinks? i cant imagine its any different than a federal LB7 right? Im glad to hear PPIE is still doing tunes, they were looking like my number one.

So it sounds like the list of parts to get it done is looking like a LB7 up pipe, the EGR delete kit, the DPF delete tube, and a call to PPIE which i can probably do later today. I need to look at the exhaust a little more closely, i noticed that the tip on my truck seems bigger than any other LML ive seen, but it still has the factory style diffuser design so im not sure if its aftermarket or if im just seeing things. If coolant leaks are a concern from the EGR, probably best just to bit the bullet and do it all at once. At least that way there might still be goodies on the market when i get around to buying them.

I dont know how people deal with this regen stink, my wife has a cruze and it smells like a swimming pool every time it regens and this has nothing on that. Its like someones trying to weld through rubber under the truck. I also wont miss having to slowly dibble in DEF at shoulder height.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Recent info shows EPPA has gone after exhaust mfr's....who now no longer offer their wares as a result.
even with the "race event and off road use only" disclaimer? i mean we all know nobody pays attention to that, but its not like the manufacture is responsible for that. so is the new push to crack down on all diesels not just on the streets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
If your not able to buy exhaust for deleting you can always put your own exhaust together, using catback exhaust for a 2005 Duramax.

Back in 08 Flowpro was the only company that offered a DPF only delete pipe at $380.
I added a 17” extension (couldn’t find the pic) to what’s pictured with a 3 bolt flange to bolt up to the rear section where the muffler was.

Depending on your exhaust if it has the 4 bolt flange after the cat and if it’s a short or long bed you’d be able to put your own together.
Besides a exhaust clamp for the 4bolt flange, the other clamps are only for support.

EFI, MotorOps might be the better/best choice if you can’t find anyone else besides PPEI.

thats one spendy 17" steel tube.... I had heard that there was 2 different flange designs and they appear to be kind of wishy washy as to where they change over on the 15 trucks, ill have to crawl under and check it out. the more i look at this truck the more i am thinking that the PO may have put a cat back exhaust on it already or something, the exhaust tip seems to be quite a bit larger than other duramax trucks of the same year, ill try to snap a picture later. Weird thing is that it still has the GM looking tip on it, just looks like a larger diameter. I have heard a few people talk about MotorOps recently but i havent heard too much about them, not like PPIE at least. Do you know anybody running there tunes? Its not even so much that i need more power, because compared to my LB7 with a weak CP3 and stuck injectors this thing has power for days, i just hate the regen process.

Thanks for the information guys, its much appreciated.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

So, i guess the next question would be where do you find a EGR delete kit these days. ive checked all the usual sources and cannot find one for the 15.5. I found one or two for the 15 with the smaller heater core hoses but not the newer one. Looks like most places are no longer selling them. Guess i can thank the EPA for that...

it looks like deviant makes a kit, anybody every used or heard of this? im a little suspicious since its like half the price of other kits. i also love how its an "upgrade" kit not a "delete" kit. It looks like thats the kit PPEI is selling though, so its probably fine.

https://www.deviantraceparts.com/Dev...it_p/75115.htm

Last edited by J83; 03-04-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
So, i guess the next question would be where do you find a EGR delete kit these days. ive checked all the usual sources and cannot find one for the 15.5. I found one or two for the 15 with the smaller heater core hoses but not the newer one. Looks like most places are no longer selling them. Guess i can thank the EPA for that...

it looks like deviant makes a kit, anybody every used or heard of this? im a little suspicious since its like half the price of other kits. i also love how its an "upgrade" kit not a "delete" kit. It looks like thats the kit PPEI is selling though, so its probably fine.

https://www.deviantraceparts.com/Dev...it_p/75115.htm
This says it will fit:

https://freedomdieselperformance.com...2015-5-16.html

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Thanks for the link, i sent an email over to ppei asking for some information, they do list the deviant part on there site so i asked about that as well. that fredom kit looks a little...... made in someones garage.... If thats what i have to run, ill run it, but im still hoping for something with a little more effort put into its appearance.

That said, if that is a working kit, then push come to shove ill just make my own. The only hard part would be the plate, and thats not really a problem. So is this basically just re-routing the coolant around the EGR and then blocking it off?

I was initially looking at something anodized in intellectual property blue, but they dont seem to make the 15.5 kits.

Last edited by J83; 03-04-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode