Real World Options with dealing with DEF issues! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
EFI Live Place for your EFI questions

2Likes
  • 1 Post By SilverGorillaLML
  • 1 Post By R08lmmdiesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Real World Options with dealing with DEF issues!

Iíve a 2013 Duramax LML (105K miles) it just threw check engine code #P21DD (Reductant Tank Heater). Cost to take to dealership or repair shop $500-$600.00. Thinking this might be a good time to delete the DEF system and EGR System using a good Tuner and EGR delete kit with 4Ē exhaust! I was looking at the H&S Mini Maxx DPF Delete Race Tuner ($649.95). I reside in Oregon and Emission test is non existent in my area so far. I plan on keeping the truck for at least 5 years. I use to have a 2006 Duramax LBZ engine never any issues (big mistake when I sold it). Iím really not looking for any more power, I usually get 21-24 mpg on the hwy. I seldom pull anything with the truck. I had purchased it to pull a trailer but sold the trailer, like the truck and its in pristine shape. What your suggestions here 1) just replace the tank heater 2) remove the DEF system etc. and go with a Tuner? Other than this the truck has been a good truck. Iíve thought about just fixing the tank heater and selling it and finding me another LBZ (2006). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Just had another issue with my def system (11 lml). For me it was the poor def quality. This is the third time it would have been in the shop for emissions. You spending the $600 or so then selling it is probably a a good option if you are just ready for another truck.

Or if you like the truck, $860 will get you the h&s, egr blocker plates, and a delete pipe that uses your stock tail pipe. A few hours of work in your drive way and you will have a great truck that is more reliable, efficient, and powerful. Never have to worry about that emissions stuff again. Good & cheap option if you are not trying to push every bit of hp.

Keep us updated with what you are doing.

2011 Silverado 2500hd 6.6 Duramax
2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Forgot to add:
I'm not affiliated in any way with these folks. They have a good brief write up about your needs and options for delete. Prices are pretty good also. They suggest the full egr delete and sell a kit, but many say you can just do the blocker plates ($20 vice $250 for full kit) if you are not pushing the large hp tunes.

https://dieseltruckproducts.com/coll...esel-lml-11-16

2011 Silverado 2500hd 6.6 Duramax
2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, looking into it. Appreciate it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Get efi live from a reputable tuner the h&s is shit tuning and there isnt support for it any longer. Exhaust and unplug the 3 connections under the hood and you're good to go. I've done many a lml this way and never had an issue. I have yet to see or even hear of an lml blowing the egr open under high boost. They arent like the older years. I ran mine with no blocker plates on a hotter tune than most would dream of asking for, for years and thousands of miles and never had any issues.
AlisoBob likes this.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
Lil ole single s400, fuel,
supporting mods,
rancher tuned,
Various parts from SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD
WILES DIESEL PERFORMANCE
Woodstock Va

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGorillaLML View Post
Get efi live from a reputable tuner the h&s is shit tuning and there isnt support for it any longer. Exhaust and unplug the 3 connections under the hood and you're good to go. I've done many a lml this way and never had an issue. I have yet to see or even hear of an lml blowing the egr open under high boost. They arent like the older years. I ran mine with no blocker plates on a hotter tune than most would dream of asking for, for years and thousands of miles and never had any issues.
This is good info to have......Thanks
SilverGorillaLML likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode