Anyone buy EFI live recently? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
EFI Live Place for your EFI questions

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I’m new to the duramax world , but know I want efi live . I have a 2006 lbz . I have read that Idaho rob was good /maybe the best but doesn’t sell tunes anymore ? I found a package deal for $1125 that comes with the edge insight 2 and an autocal from kory Willis .
Here’s the link
https://www.alligatorperformance.com...SABEgIJuvD_BwE

Is this all I need to have efi live ? Is it still worth getting even tho the epa is trying to shut tuning down ?
Anyone know of a better tuner than kory Willis ? I have done a lot of research , but just want to make the right decision when spending this kind of $$$

I have stock transmission, turbo, and injectors
I want a tune that won’t destroy my truck .
Looking for a fun tune to go fast
A good performance tune , and a good fuel economy tune

2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 2500hd LBZ - 139k miles

Last edited by Jberger93; 05-09-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberger93 View Post
Iím new to the duramax world , but know I want efi live . I have red that Idaho rob was good /maybe the best but doesnít sell tunes anymore ? I found a package deal for $1125 that comes with the edge insight 2 and an autocal from kory Willis .

Is this all I need to have efi live ? Is it still worth getting even tho the epa is trying to shut tuning down ?
Anyone know of a better tuner than kory Willis ? I have done a lot of research , but just want to make the right decision when spending this kind of $$$

I want a tune that wonít destroy my truck .
1. You will get mixed opinions on who to use for EFI live....read through and develop your own opinions on Starlight, ridge runner, Dans, PPEI, duramaxtuner, etc. All are capable of doing what you are wanting.
2. Buy the edge insight through edge or a forum vendor on here as they are currently running a promo to get a free EGT probe with the purchase...doesn't appear alligator is showing that option right now.
3. As for the EPA stuff, meh. Tune it and be done with it, you will be happy you did.

Something to think of though is if you have to pass emissions in your county/state EFI may not be an option; I don't have to deal with it so someone else may chime in on that.

-'07 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic LT3; MF Downpipe; 4" DE Exhaust, PPEI EFI Live, CTS2-
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:51 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
I’m new to the duramax world , but know I want efi live . I have red that Idaho rob was good /maybe the best but doesn’t sell tunes anymore ? I found a package deal for $1125 that comes with the edge insight 2 and an autocal from kory Willis .
Here’s the link

I would not go with a tuner who is not currently supporting the tunes unless there is no other choice. Im not saying his turnes are bad, they are widely considered to be some of the best, but if you want anything changed, good luck. I went with MotorOps, so far so good, and they are pleasant to work with over the phone and via email.

Edit:

Also, please fill out your signature with your vehicle information so that its easier to help you. Tuning on an LML is not the same as tuning on an LB7 since the new truck have varying degrees of emissions equipment that you either need to incorporate into the tune, or delete from the truck.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with turbo back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Quote:
I’m new to the duramax world , but know I want efi live . I have red that Idaho rob was good /maybe the best but doesn’t sell tunes anymore ? I found a package deal for $1125 that comes with the edge insight 2 and an autocal from kory Willis .
Here’s the link

I would not go with a tuner who is not currently supporting the tunes unless there is no other choice. Im not saying his turnes are bad, they are widely considered to be some of the best, but if you want anything changed, good luck. I went with MotorOps, so far so good, and they are pleasant to work with over the phone and via email.

Edit:

Also, please fill out your signature with your vehicle information so that its easier to help you. Tuning on an LML is not the same as tuning on an LB7 since the new truck have varying degrees of emissions equipment that you either need to incorporate into the tune, or delete from the truck.
Do I have to do that on an actual computer ? I hit account settings on my phone to try and make a sig, but didn’t see any buttons for it

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

What exactly is the difference between these two?
It tells me both will fit my truck

From what I can tell the insight is just the monitor and the evolution is monitor plus tuner ?

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/diesel-evolution-cts2

Last edited by Jberger93; 05-08-2019 at 05:53 PM.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Do I have to do that on an actual computer ? I hit account settings on my phone to try and make a sig, but didnít see any buttons for it

that i am not sure of, i dont use the site on my phone. Just the year of the truck would help though.

Quote:
What exactly is the difference between these two?
It tells me both will fit my truck

From what I can tell the insight is just the monitor and the evolution is monitor plus tuner ?

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/diesel-evolution-cts2

The CTS is not a tuner, it is a scanner and instrument display with some other functions. it is basically a digital gauge you can configure to show sensor data for things you want to monitor, and it can read and clear codes. For EFI Live you will get an autocal that plugs into the OBDII port and is a one time flash. the CTS is commonly used with EFI Live for better management of the vehicle (things like EGT sensors and boost sensors can be added to it), but it in and of itself is not capable of tuning the truck.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with turbo back exhaust
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If your deleting emissions stuff forget about DuramaxTuner and the Edge Evo.
PPEI I’ve never used (I inquired and didn’t care for the bs attitude) and would never even think about using them, this feeling dates back to early 2012.
I inquired a few times since, still the same attitude.

Motor Ops, Ridge Runner, Danville, I’d suggest reaching out to them.

Signatures can be done by clicking on the “User CP” on the website follow the prompts even on a cell phone, then make sure when your posting you check including your sig.
Your phone settings doesn’t even know these websites exist.
EFT tuning stuff needs to be done on windows, Mac is not supported.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
AirDog 4G100
DHD PCV re-route

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 05-08-2019 at 09:48 PM.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:13 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Since you aer new to diesels in general and the Duramax in particular this thread has some bery good information for you.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:20 AM

I have a similar setup on my LML. I have a 5 tune pack with autocal from PPEI, EDGE CTS2 and Pyro probe. I have a few more items installed as well. As far as the tunes go, I am happy with them. I run the 60 HP tow tune all the time as that is pretty much all I use the truck for. The truck does smoke a little if you get on it to pass someone but clears up once the turbo spools up (within seconds). In regards to their support, they are a little hard to get in touch within an hour of quitting time, but other then that they are more than willing to help when you are on the phone. I did a lot of my communication through email and usually got a response the same day.

In the end, there are quite a few reputable tuners for the DMax and I don't think you would have heartburn over going with others as well. I chose PPEI at the time I was looking at tuning my truck, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with some of the others either.

2015 Chevy LML 2500HD LTZ CC/LB
14" Duraflap Mudflaps
ICI SS Running Boards
Bushwacker OE Fender Flares
Northland Aluminum Front Bumper
EDGE CTS2/EGT Probe
MBRP Downpipe /5" Flo Pro Exhaust
PPEI ECM/TCM Tunes
Airdog 4g 165 Lift Pump
Deviant EGR Plates/Merchant Auto PCV Reroute
295/55R20 Toyo MT's on Stock Rims/Height
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Found out how to add the picture to my profile , but I don’t see anywhere to add sig (at least from my phone )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode