Idaho Rob Tunes - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
EFI Live Place for your EFI questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Idaho Rob Tunes

Hey guys I’m nearing the point of putting efi live on my truck and I have a couple of questions concerning Idaho rob tunes. I hear they are some of the best out there but that he has stopped offering to the public. Yet, I still see his AutoCals posted on different websites of parts dealers. Are we still able to get these tunes and all through this or is it just something nobody has taken down yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:49 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Rob is no longer offering tunes, the EPA shut him down.

Try Duramax Tuner or Kennedy, Ive heard good things about them both. Call each one, tell them what you desire and they can fix you up.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:53 AM

Garage
Good question. I don't think his tunes are available from any vendors because the tune is tied to the VIN on the truck. You can't just stock an AutoCal with a tune preinstalled and then ship it out to a buyer. Check with the seller and see where the tunes are from before purchase. A bad tune could do extensive damage to your truck.

2008 Dmax/CC/Onyx Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:41 PM

Does anyone know if they are still servicing tunes previously sold? I got mine from him several years ago, and am having trouble after replacing my turbo. I think my tuning needs a little tweak to match the new turbo, and after all the logging I've done, I can see small problems, but haven't figured out the right way to fix them without possibly making things worse.

2006 Chev K2500HD CC LB LBZ
- MBRP DP back 4", EGR gone, LB7 Up pipe, Updated LH Manifold, Transgo Jr, PCV Rerouted, DashDaq w/ EGT, EFILive by ATP, FRPRV shimmed, FASS 150, Fuel Pickup Kit, Garrett GT3794VA Turbo

2005 Chev K3500 CC DRW LLY
Boss 9' V-Plow, 8' Dump Box
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:06 AM

Garage
As far as I know from reading other forums, Rob isn't modifying existing tunes nor is he selling new ones. If you need changes, you'll have to get another tuner to do them and that will most likely require you to purchase another Autocal from the new tuner. Rob's tunes are locked and can't be modified by another tuner without the unlock code. You should also be aware that canned tunes are built around stock trucks. If you have modified any part of the engine - then you really need to have it tuned on a dyno. Otherwise the tuner is just guessing about what tune will work on your truck and that might spell premature death for your Duramax.

2008 Dmax/CC/Onyx Black
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 AM

I have a V2, and my tune is old enough not to be locked. I would never buy a canned tuner, and will fine tune my own until it is right before I buy a locked tune. From what I found last night, any decent tuner is locking their tunes, so I'm pretty much on my own.

2006 Chev K2500HD CC LB LBZ
- MBRP DP back 4", EGR gone, LB7 Up pipe, Updated LH Manifold, Transgo Jr, PCV Rerouted, DashDaq w/ EGT, EFILive by ATP, FRPRV shimmed, FASS 150, Fuel Pickup Kit, Garrett GT3794VA Turbo

2005 Chev K3500 CC DRW LLY
Boss 9' V-Plow, 8' Dump Box
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:34 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Have you actually contacted any of the other EFI tuners ?
Having a V2 should make it a little easier to acquire different tunes needed for you larger turbo with proper tweaks needed.
Your only paying for the tuning, pretty much most of the tuners know what to adjust for different turbos.

I dont think Rob even answers his phone anymore, but you might try calling anyway and/or shoot him a email.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:06 AM

I have not tried to contact other tuners. I did figure out how to populate a vane position table using the log and use that to make a new desired vane position table. Which should work well. If I do it a few times it should get dialed in perfectly for my new turbo. I think there is more of a difference from this one to a stock turbo than they led on because my vane position has been a much higher percentage than the stock turbo. It thrives at higher rpm and easily makes full boost at full power while towing. I also found my max vane position tables to be limited at lower numbers than this turbo needed, which is where my first attempt at changing the table blind failed. I logged most of the 200 mile trip yesterday pulling our camper, and have a lot of new data to work with. I will make adjustments and reflash before heading home and log it again. I believe this is what I needed.

My p0299 code did not come back on yesterday, but I can't say that it fixed that problem yet, because it only came on within the first 10 seconds of running a cold engine, and not every time. I'm guessing it was failing the self test on startup because the vane position table was telling the vanes to open more than needed and the max position was more open as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode