What are our options going to look like? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
EFI Live Place for your EFI questions

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Hook'em_Horns!
  • 1 Post By mrmanners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What are our options going to look like?

With PPEI no longer selling tunes that circumvent EPA controls, what does the future of diesel truck ownership in the short term look like for those who don't necessarily want a stock truck?

Is true custom tuning a thing of the past? Are we only going to be able to use the canned, inline tuners? I was under the impression those are compliant.

What about exhausts? I haven't experienced a DPF-back exhaust system. I know that it doesn't do really anything for exhaust flow or temps, but what about sound? Does it still sound good?

For me, the allure of tuning came in the form of not having to repair/replace my failing EGR. It was less expensive to go a different route. And now it seems our only option going forward will be to replace the obnoxiously expensive emissions components instead of removing them from the system.

These are just a few of the questions I have swimming in my head this morning after reading PPEI's website notice.

Looking for genuine discussion on this. I was hoping to buy a new-to-me Duramax next spring, but now I don't know if that's a smart decision since I have mine in a condition that I enjoy greatly and it seems that will no longer be able to be recreated.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Look north of the border! Otherwise things look bleak. The other companies are likely to follow.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:05 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Glider kits.....could become a thing.
JimmyD and 77cruiser like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:16 PM

canned inline tuners are still there. As long as they are emissions compliant. I'm running a Hypertech Max Energy. But custom tuning to aid in elimination of emissions devices is probably out of the question now.
Hypertech

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:33 AM
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Having been in this industry for over 10 years now we have all seen several good tuners and companies shut down or heavily fined because of the violations of EPA laws. Everyone has an opinion on the EPA but are they really the problem? They are doing the job they were told to. I see this as a Congress problem. We all know how screwed up they are. Can't agree on anything anymore and are so dug in on party lines I don't ever seem them passing anything beneficial. The laws enacted over the last few years for the environment are strict for sure but they are laws for a reason.

I think what PPEI is doing with having all their ec tunes EPA certified is a huge step for a "customer tuner". Sure mfg like Edge, Banks, Hypertech go to that extent with the canned tunes but what do folks really get out of a "canned tuner". They are setup to work with a stock truck or the one that has been modified and still give you performance improvements. PPEI is working hard, testing different turbos, injectors, and whatnot that won't violate the emissions and I believe we are going to see big power out of emission compliant trucks and cars. Their work so far has proven to regen less, use less DEF and still improve HP and fuel economy on the Dmax, Pstroke, Cummins and Nissan applications. Is it completely custom? Yes, I believe so but I think everyone here will have a different opinion on this being custom or not.

I am looking forward to what is to come.
Melonhead1102 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:12 AM

I wonder how this (if at all) will affect Duramaxtuner tuning package........5k tuning with emissions...550 hp on l5p

2018 GMC 2500 CCSB - Denali - White - L5p
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:01 AM
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyd5589 View Post
I wonder how this (if at all) will affect Duramaxtuner tuning package........5k tuning with emissions...550 hp on l5p
Not sure. I know in talking with Kory, he is working to get the costs down on the L5P stuff now. Time will tell
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Honestly, in my opinion, Kory is a "dead man walking" in regards to the EPA and they WILL make an example out of him. Fact: A vendor was charged with selling 4900 emission "defeat devices" @ $10k/per. Total fine for non-compliance could have been $49MM. You cannot fight the EPA. They will destroy you!

2007 2500HD "Classic" 4x4, LBZ/Allison, CC/SB,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:11 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseRob View Post
Honestly, in my opinion, Kory is a "dead man walking" in regards to the EPA and they WILL make an example out of him. Fact: A vendor was charged with selling 4900 emission "defeat devices" @ $10k/per. Total fine for non-compliance could have been $49MM. You cannot fight the EPA. They will destroy you!
Im going to assume you know the other Rob from up there? If thats the case, that is a bummer. I guess I will start learning what I need to do and buy a V2 to replace my auto-cal tunes

03 Silverado 2500HD CC Long Bed LB7 - the tow pig

12 VW Jetta TDI - the daily driver

99 Toyota Tacoma - with some toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode