Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/exterior/)
-   -   DEF relocate (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/exterior/1000945-def-relocate.html)

gbranam863 10-15-2019 06:27 PM

DEF relocate

This my first diesel truck, I purchased a 2018 2500HD LTZ Z71 with 12K miles. What are y’all thoughts on relocating the DEF tank or has anyone tackled this project, is it a good idea or not?
Your thoughts?

wensteph 10-15-2019 06:35 PM

If yours is doing what it is supposed to, then my thought is to leave well enough alone. As to its unsightliness, I have running boards and don't notice it hanging there. I thought it would bother me, but it doesn't.

Woodscustom 10-15-2019 06:41 PM

I've found out thru my course of nearly 40 years of driving awesome trucks, is it's best to leave them as designed. Put on bigger tires goes without saying of course.

WC

jimmyloco 12-05-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodscustom (Post 12217915)
I've found out thru my course of nearly 40 years of driving awesome trucks, is it's best to leave them as designed. Put on bigger tires goes without saying of course.

WC

Gooseneck/5th Wheel Package / B&W Tow & Stow
Leveling Kit / 285/75R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3s
LoadLifter Ultimate Plus 5000 Air bags
AFE 5 Stage Air Filter / EDGE Insight

ok?? haha if you say so...

HTNKLB7 12-06-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranam863 (Post 12217897)
This my first diesel truck, I purchased a 2018 2500HD LTZ Z71 with 12K miles. What are y’all thoughts on relocating the DEF tank or has anyone tackled this project, is it a good idea or not?
Your thoughts?

There is only one company that makes one currently and it was just released about a month ago. Look up L5P DEF Relocation on google and that should help you find what you're looking for.

Doverarjim 12-07-2019 01:20 PM

I'm not sure which year they added the extra protection ie skid plate but, if you are super worried about it I would install a aftermarket skid plate for it. I am the only one that I have ever seen that would admit to putting a hole in a def tank, did it on my 11 truck!!! I found a plate made by Ore-Fab (no longer in business) for $139.00 put it on and did not worry about it again. My 19 truck seems to be much better protected than the 11 was. Just my $0.02 your experience may vary.

Busa Dave 12-07-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doverarjim (Post 12235887)
I'm not sure which year they added the extra protection ie skid plate but, if you are super worried about it I would install a aftermarket skid plate for it. I am the only one that I have ever seen that would admit to putting a hole in a def tank, did it on my 11 truck!!! I found a plate made by Ore-Fab (no longer in business) for $139.00 put it on and did not worry about it again. My 19 truck seems to be much better protected than the 11 was. Just my $0.02 your experience may vary.

I have not done it but have seen 2 done on our ranch in NM. Going to catch a lot of flak for this but it is the truth. Love my 2020 but where I go the 2019 and older not a chance. I used to send feedback to GM on surveys that I love the trucks and the Duramax but the DEF tank I was too smart for that. Do not want to get stranded 27 miles from a gas station and 12 from a paved road.