Opinions on LED's - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:07 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipjumper View Post
Whatever you do, buy a purpose-built headlight assembly (morimoto, etc) versus a LED bulb assembly. I’m not sure what vintage truck you have but if it doesn’t have projectors or LED from the factory, installing LED bulb assemblies are outright dangerous. They blind the hell out of oncoming traffic. The factory headlights are specially designed for halogen bulb assemblies and NOT the LED light dispersal. It’s illegal too (headlight assembly is no longer in DOT compliance) but I have yet to hear about enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The danger comes from using a bulb with a non OEM focal point. If the light source is at the same position in the housing as the factory bulb then the reflector housing will work as designed by the manufacture with higher light output. It is when you put a bulb with a shorter or longer focal point in the housing that light begins to go places it was not intended to because it is hitting different parts of the reflector at different angles then designed.

so something like this (assuming they got the focal distance right) would be safe to use since the LED cobs are close together so the light comes from a single source and will scatter less.

where as something like this is likely to run people off the road. In this case the focal point is basically the entire bulb, so there is no singular point for the light to come from and you will get light rays coming off it at all angles from all positions. This is when you get scatter.

This is basically what the cross section of a headlight looks like with the lines put in to show the path of light from the focal point. Were you to move that focal point the light would begin to leave the housing at angles that are less parallel to the road.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 01-17-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:39 AM

Those first bulbs look like Supernova V.4 and those tested very well. On Headlight Revolution YouTube page they show those bulbs in headlight housings and the beam pattern was very good. I am thinking about putting them in my 2003 GMC.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:54 PM
HWI

Diode Dynamics is easily one of the best in the business when it comes to automotive LEDs. As far as I know they are the only company that makes an LED specifically designed for reflector housings by maintaining the same focal point as the factory incandescent bulb. That is the only LED I would recommend for use in a reflector housing.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Those first bulbs look like Supernova V.4 and those tested very well. On Headlight Revolution YouTube page they show those bulbs in headlight housings and the beam pattern was very good. I am thinking about putting them in my 2003 GMC.
I agree and highly recommend checking out Headlight Revolution before buying any bulbs. I just put the S-V.4 in my 2005. Beam pattern is spot on, output is excellent, color is crisp and clean. I did have to cut and notch the headlight support to clear the heat sinks.

I had the Opt7 in there for both low and high. Low beam gave out after only 14 months (fan still worked but had the epileptic light show going on)...never touching them again.
ShopSpecialties likes this.

Daily: 2005 Chevrolet Silverado CC SRW(Wide-Body), BD Allison, AirDogII-165, MBRP Dual Exhaust, Cognito Level Kit.
Toy: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350, 700R4, Dart IE heads, Custom Cam, Stock bottom end, Hooker SC Shorties, Borla Bi-Modal Exhaust, mid 13s on 275/45/17 BFG KDW.
Sold: 1996 Chevrolet K1500, 350, 5M, 6" Fabtech Lift, 04 GM rims, 33's - 236,xxx
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickibobby View Post
I just ordered some of these for my fogs and low beam projectors on my 2019. I guess weíll see if theyíre any good or not!
Which model sealight? I bought the scoparc ones, $70 a pair
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Diode Dynamics is easily one of the best in the business when it comes to automotive LEDs. As far as I know they are the only company that makes an LED specifically designed for reflector housings by maintaining the same focal point as the factory incandescent bulb. That is the only LED I would recommend for use in a reflector housing.
They are still not legal to use. Get a real jerk LEO and you can get towed worst case. No different than using non DOT approved tires.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph R View Post
I agree and highly recommend checking out Headlight Revolution before buying any bulbs. I just put the S-V.4 in my 2005. Beam pattern is spot on, output is excellent, color is crisp and clean. I did have to cut and notch the headlight support to clear the heat sinks.

I had the Opt7 in there for both low and high. Low beam gave out after only 14 months (fan still worked but had the epileptic light show going on)...never touching them again.
That is good to hear about the V.4 bulbs. Do you think the videos and testing done by Headlight Revolution give an accurate representation of how the bulbs perform ?

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:56 PM

Some departments have purpose built inspection equipment that determines angle and output. Itís not just the LED folks either, itís the HIR and HID folks too that slap these aftermarket lights into legacy headlight assemblies. The Morimoto projectors arenít that expensive BUT the labor seems ridiculous to convert an assembly.

New DOT approved assemblies must be quite expensive. LED plow lights from boss are $700 a pair!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Diode Dynamics tested very well and I would say they are a top 5 bulb. You should check out these new Ultra Series 2 bulbs from GTR Lighting which I think might be the best LED on the market.

HWI likes this.

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post

That is good to hear about the V.4 bulbs. Do you think the videos and testing done by Headlight Revolution give an accurate representation of how the bulbs perform ?
I do think they are representing the bulbs for what they are, good or bad. If they are comparing as described in the videos (using the same housing, power source, distance measured for lux, etc.) and just changing out bulbs to find the differences, then yes. They do mention that not all the bulbs work the same in different headlight housings.

On a side note for being legal, even if something is stamped "DOT" it is up to the LEO to make the call. In PA you can technically fail a safety inspection for any equipment in your vehicle that was not installed by the manufacturer, except in-kind items. Most will just let it slide unless it is a major infraction, such as 4" of tread sticking out past the fenders.
chipjumper likes this.

Daily: 2005 Chevrolet Silverado CC SRW(Wide-Body), BD Allison, AirDogII-165, MBRP Dual Exhaust, Cognito Level Kit.
Toy: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350, 700R4, Dart IE heads, Custom Cam, Stock bottom end, Hooker SC Shorties, Borla Bi-Modal Exhaust, mid 13s on 275/45/17 BFG KDW.
Sold: 1996 Chevrolet K1500, 350, 5M, 6" Fabtech Lift, 04 GM rims, 33's - 236,xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode