(Pics) Need input on dealing with rust on both rear right quarter panels - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

(Pics) Need input on dealing with rust on both rear right quarter panels

So, I picked up my truck here about two weeks ago and I thought my wife and I did a good look over but apparently not. I had the dealer do some touch up paint on the driver's side door and the body shop guy told me to take a look at the under part of the rear right quarter panels where rocks hit. To my surprise my passenger side by the tail pipe has surface rust, the driver side almost looks like it was rubbed.

Either way, my plan is to take it to a shop and have them paint match rhino / line-x etc and have them spray it. My thoughts are to come up the lip where ever the bad ends (roughly 3-6" up) and do a straight line across and spray it. Identical on both sides. I really don't want to do a full spray job around the truck as I like the look of the truck stock, but I have been told by multiple body shops up here than any trucks near the ocean get the salt on it and it rust's fast and that spraying it after they get the surface rust off will pretty much seal it from happening again. Anyhow, think it would hide nicely? The picture's a bit back show that it hasn't made it's way up on the vertical side of the quarter panel, but seems to be on the horizontal part underneath mainly.

Here's a few pictures.

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

Thanks a bunch fellas,

Jason

2008 Silverado 2500HD LTZ, CCSB, 6.0, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM

If you line-x it, get the rust fixed/treated first. If you spray line x on the rust, it will continue to rust through on the back side and you will be left with line x hanging down with no metal behind it.

EDIT-- I see you already mentioned fixing the rust, I missed that the first time. If you decide for some reason to go with paint instead of line-x, I would definately install mudflaps. I have seen many trucks with surface rust that couldve easily been prevented from a set of mud flaps. I live on a gravel road in the upper midwest and my 1996 has zero rust thanks to my mudflaps

PEACHES - 18
1996 K1500 ECSB STOCK
LBZ WITHIN 3 YEARS

Last edited by Peaches Diesel; 02-01-2012 at 08:42 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 AM

Garage
You need some mud flaps. The tires are flinging grit and debris up against the sheet metal. The only cure is to stop the assault. The molded mud flaps from Husky, Weatherguard or GM all work well.

2008 Dmax/CC/Onyx Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode