Bumper Build - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzBlitz View Post
The green is the locale of stress. He's using Von Mises to figure stress in his FEA which is for yield strength in ductile materials. The blue is non stressed areas and the green is stressed (looks like he was simulating an animal impact), but it is below yield strength. The red looks like it could be a failure but being a tiny point like that it is negligible and due to a simulation error (in the program, not his error). Bear what CAD program are you using? SolidWorks?
I used Pro-E to do all of my CAD work. I was able to get it installed on my computer. I am using HyperMesh to import the models and mesh them and Abaqus to run the FEA. The red dot is just the node I had selected when I took the screen shot. I am actually sitting here waiting for an analysis to run right now. Only 10 days into the month and I all ready listened to 38 hours of Pandora, all running analysis and troubleshooting for the FEA.

2012 Chevy 2500 LML, Ext. Cab
Deleted running PPEI tuning

Sold: 2003 Chevy 2500 LB7, Crew Cab
Bear Claw Front and Rear Bumpers
EFI Live DSP5 from ATP/Rob, port and polished stock IHI turbo w/ Batmo Wheel, 3" Down Pipe, 4" straight pipe from the downpipe, intake horn mod, modded air box, custom overhead gauge console, pyro and boost gauges
Cognito UCA, Kyrptonite Straight Centerlink and Tierods, BFG KM2 255-85 on stock wheels

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build

Last edited by Bear9350; 04-10-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Confidence Antler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear9350 View Post
The red dot is just the node I had selected when I took the screen shot.
Oh yeah that would be the obvious explanation

I had SolidWorks with the Weldments (among others) add in on my comp, and was in the process of designing a bumper and then the stupid thing crashed on me and the new educational addition of SW doesn't come with Weldments. I really don't want to spend any more time in lab than I have to, I'm sure youu know how that goes

So you have your weakest point set as your mounting strap? That's a good idea, have you clearanced the bumper so when if it fails it won't shove into your cooling stack?

06 ECSB GMC
30 gal. Transferflow Toolbox/Transfer tank combo
...and a few other things

-Erik
post #13 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Slave to the Interwebs

That looks nice man. I want to do something simular to mine

06 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 LBZ LOONNGGGGG BED
EXHAUST,EFI LIVE,S&B COLD AIR INTAKE
AUTOMETER GAUGES, AITP BUILT TRANS,AD165 PUMP, BLOCKED, SLEEVED...

04.5 LLY Xcab. 5" Exhaust no noise stopper, EFI'd, LBZ piehole.

This is not only your forum you have to share it with over 100,000 others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Confidence Antler

Quote:
Only 10 days into the month and I all ready listened to 38 hours of Pandora, all running analysis and troubleshooting for the FEA.
If you have a smart phone listen to Pandora on that, no time limit :rockin

Hey at least you aren't rendering also! (well, yet )

Once spent 5 hours running a single render on an adjustable kickstand we designed, gotta love school computers

06 ECSB GMC

-Erik
post #15 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Oh yeah that would be the obvious explanation

I had SolidWorks with the Weldments (among others) add in on my comp, and was in the process of designing a bumper and then the stupid thing crashed on me and the new educational addition of SW doesn't come with Weldments. I really don't want to spend any more time in lab than I have to, I'm sure youu know how that goes

So you have your weakest point set as your mounting strap? That's a good idea, have you clearanced the bumper so when if it fails it won't shove into your cooling stack?
Not yet. Once I actually get everything mounted on the truck I will be able to see where everything actually is in relation to the truck. Its hard to get good measurements to build one of these things with just CAD. Nothing is straight and there is never a good place to measure from.
Once it is on I will be somehow limiting the amount of deformation in the mount to make sure the bumper doesn't cause damage to anything when it moves.

EFI Live DSP5 from ATP/Rob, port and polished stock IHI turbo w/ Batmo Wheel, 3" Down Pipe, 4" straight pipe from the downpipe, intake horn mod, modded air box, custom overhead gauge console, pyro and boost gauges
Cognito UCA, Kyrptonite Straight Centerlink and Tierods, BFG KM2 255-85 on stock wheels

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
post #16 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
If you have a smart phone listen to Pandora on that, no time limit :rockin

Hey at least you aren't rendering also! (well, yet )

Once spent 5 hours running a single render on an adjustable kickstand we designed, gotta love school computers

Every time I log in a get a message saying I am over my limit for space. I am currently working on a CAD project and this FEA project. I have deleted everything else from my profile but I am still over our allowed limit.

When I run out of time on Pandora I can just switch over to my slacker account. No limit there either.

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
post #17 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Confidence Antler

Quote:
Not yet. Once I actually get everything mounted on the truck I will be able to see where everything actually is in relation to the truck. Its hard to get good measurements to build one of these things with just CAD. Nothing is straight and there is never a good place to measure from.
Once it is on I will be somehow limiting the amount of deformation in the mount to make sure the bumper doesn't cause damage to anything when it moves.
I know exactly what you mean

Seems like a sweet build so far man! Keep up the good work!

06 ECSB GMC

-Erik
post #18 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Nice work!! i just might be intrested in one of these.. Keep us updated.

Steve
05 Siverado lly loaded, straight pipe, EFI by idahorob, pcv reroute, auto meter boost & pyro.
post #19 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

nice work! make me one for my truck. i would like a heavy bumper but not a fat lip on my truck.

2007.5 ltz crewcab,banks air intake with scoop, truxx 3inch lift, 33/1250r20 k5la train horns,b&w hideawayEFI
banks speed brake,mbrp duals-dpf & muffler delete, resonator plugged,blockedegr,transgo jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0useforaname View Post
AHHH! I just saw that too... His truck is a mind-fK!!!
post #20 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer14 View Post
nice work! make me one for my truck. i would like a heavy bumper but not a fat lip on my truck.
If I can find access to a NBS truck I am hoping to design a bumper for it. Aiming for a similar style as this one.

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode