Bumper Build - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Bumper Build

I've been working on designing and building a bumper for my truck since last summer. I started doing all of the design work on CAD software. In February I finally had something I like and made a mock-up out of cardboard. I made a few changes to the design and sent all of the drawings off to a buddy to get cut out for me. I got the pieces back last weekend and started welding. So far I have tacked my center section together, both sides of the bumper, and got my mounts fabbed up. Next weekend I hope to get the center section mounted on the truck, then I should just need to finish welding. I really only have time on my weekends and the shop I have access to right now is only open till 4:30 on Saturdays so its taking longer than I would like to get everything finished. Here are some pics of the process and the build so far.

Cardboard Mock-up:

Revised CAD Image:

Center Section:

Passenger Side:

Driver Side:

Mount:

Everything built and either on or in front of the truck:

I created a separate photobucket album to keep track of my build. There are a bunch more pics there. Bumper pictures by Bear9350 - Photobucket

2012 Chevy 2500 LML, Ext. Cab
Deleted running PPEI tuning

Sold: 2003 Chevy 2500 LB7, Crew Cab
Bear Claw Front and Rear Bumpers
EFI Live DSP5 from ATP/Rob, port and polished stock IHI turbo w/ Batmo Wheel, 3" Down Pipe, 4" straight pipe from the downpipe, intake horn mod, modded air box, custom overhead gauge console, pyro and boost gauges
Cognito UCA, Kyrptonite Straight Centerlink and Tierods, BFG KM2 255-85 on stock wheels

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

holy balls that's incredibly nice fab work man.

Sent From My Computer Because I Still Have A Flip Phone

ADAM
04 LB7, EFI LIVE by Rob, Edge Insight CTS, AD 165, Banks Ram Air Intake, MBRP 4-7" Single Stack, Banks Big Head Wastegate, PPE Boost Valve, Mouthpiece Mod, Leveled, Braced, and Rare Parts Tie Rods, Tow Mirrors, Yakima Rack, Down Easter Dump Insert (Sexy, I know)
285/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20" RBP 91Rs & Cooper M&S Snow tires on steelies

www.ALLIGATORPERFORMANCE.com
post #3 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Fea

I am also working on a FEA analysis of the bumper. I am currently a Mechanical engineering senior and was able to work this analysis into a school project. I will be looking at the stresses and deflection in the bumper, mounts, and frame in several impact type situations. I want to design the bumper and mounting system so the weak spot is an easily replaceable strap in the mounting system. I don't want this strap to give when in an animal type crash, am aiming to make it yield shortly after to avoid frame bending issues. This is just an initial test on my system while troubleshooting the model:

EFI Live DSP5 from ATP/Rob, port and polished stock IHI turbo w/ Batmo Wheel, 3" Down Pipe, 4" straight pipe from the downpipe, intake horn mod, modded air box, custom overhead gauge console, pyro and boost gauges
Cognito UCA, Kyrptonite Straight Centerlink and Tierods, BFG KM2 255-85 on stock wheels

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:18 PM

I bet you could sell those, they are beautiful. What does the green mean on your analysis? And the little speck of red?

Nick
2003 Chevy LB7 2500hd 4x4. Federal Emissions system. PPE Boost Valve, XD Spy 17x9, 265/70/17 Kumho KL71, 4" ATS exhaust. Rancho7000mt , Firestone Airbags. Leveling kit. Retro solutions CREE reverse, LED Dome/map/L.P., Fass 150
post #5 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:19 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

good work man!:rockin

Joe
2008 CCLB LMM
13.39 @ 99.44 W/ 1.76 60’
456 HP 925 TQ

2003 RCLB LB7 “UNDER CONSTRUCTION”
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
post #6 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycan03lb7 View Post
I bet you could sell those, they are beautiful. What does the green mean on your analysis? And the little speck of red?
I am thinking I might try and sell them. I am trying to go for a bumper that isn't that much larger than the stock bumper (it doesn't stick out a foot in front of the truck) and flow well with the lines of the truck.

The green area in the analysis is the amount of stress in the area. There is a legend in the corner of the pic relating the color to the stress level. That image is an analysis of 170 psi applied to the plate seen as mostly green. That is a very rough estimate of what would happen if you hit a 200 lb deer going 55 mph. I am actually setting up a simulation with the bumper and frame assembly and a separate part representing a an animal. I can give the "truck assy" a velocity and simulate it hitting the deer at different speeds and different positions on the bumper.

The red dot is just the where my cursor was when I captured the image.

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
post #7 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Trprowen
man id be in line for one of these !

2007.5 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab DURAMAX

MODS - EGR Blocker Plate, 5" Flo~Pro No Muffler Exhaust, DPF Delete, EFI, DSP5 Switch, TransGo JR. Tuned by Idaho Rob

OIF III VETERAN
US ARMY RETIRED

post #8 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Trprowen
would that be able to fit a winch behind it ?

2007.5 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab DURAMAX

MODS - EGR Blocker Plate, 5" Flo~Pro No Muffler Exhaust, DPF Delete, EFI, DSP5 Switch, TransGo JR. Tuned by Idaho Rob

OIF III VETERAN
US ARMY RETIRED

post #9 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Confidence Antler

The green is the locale of stress. He's using Von Mises to figure stress in his FEA which is for yield strength in ductile materials. The blue is non stressed areas and the green is stressed (looks like he was simulating an animal impact), but it is below yield strength. The red looks like it could be a failure but being a tiny point like that it is negligible and due to a simulation error (in the program, not his error). Bear what CAD program are you using? SolidWorks?

06 ECSB GMC
30 gal. Transferflow Toolbox/Transfer tank combo
...and a few other things

-Erik
post #10 of 304 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trprowen View Post
would that be able to fit a winch behind it ?
I don't know. I didn't design it with an intent to be able to place a winch behind it. I had to put a lot of thought into how I wanted to design the mounting system because of the limited amount of room between the frame and bumper. There is a little more room in the center of the truck though. I will have to take some measurements when I get everything mounted to determine how much room is back there.

Truck Pictures
Bumper Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode