Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Do not take delivery of 2020 GM/Chvy Truck

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  spflyfish 
#1 ·
I have spent the entire morning researching a 5th wheel hitch for my soon to be delivered GM 2500 Crew Cab Std Box Denali. I have spoken directly with multiple 5th wheel hitch manufacturers including Curt which supplies GM. The puck system on the 2020 is different. A 2019 hitch will not fit. Everyone is telling me a month. I am not taking delivery of my truck. Everyone who is planning on pulling a fifth wheel with a new 2020 better consider how they plan on attaching the 5er to their new fancy truck cuz unless your gonna use rope or bungee cables I am not finding a solution. Maybe if enough of us refuse delivery, we can prompt expedited handling of the problem. Who the heck at GM makes a change like this and not give the info to the hitch manufacturers in time so there is a hitch available when the truck hits the market. I sure hope this is the only surprise.

#2 ·
Interesting. :surprise:

#4 ·
It almost always takes the aftermarket some time to build products for new vehicles when there is a complete overhaul from the previous models. Especially when the OEM offers almost everything needed, why help the aftermarket.

#5 ·
nothing available from GM, My dealer just called to say my truck is being offloaded from the transport, they are fully aware no hitches are available for the truck from anyone including GMC. They are holding my truck until they have one available. Hats off to Alpine GMC in Colorado Springs! Do not take delivery unless all your doing is driving around in a nice truck!

#6 ·
Curt has made 20 to 25 fifth wheel hitches for 2020 trucks over the last two years to support engineering and marketing. I don't understand why they don't have one available. If you know anyone with a 2017 to 2019 ford with a puck system, you could try their hitch in 2020 gm truck. I have been told the plan was to be the same.

GM had to change the pattern to be robust to the new 32k loads. The new hitches are smaller, take up less space, and weigh less. Curt recommended to gm to change to ford pattern. I know the ford gooseneck kits are interchangeable with gm so hopefully fifth wheels will be too.

I realize this still sucks for current owners but, we don't just change things without a good reason.

#8 ·
I'm not surprised. Better make sure your 2020 has an engine block heater if you order one. GM cut my cord off my 2019 to disable it. According to the dealer they were not told by GM that it was cut off at the factory and no one disclosed the information to me nor did they say anything about a recall prior to purchase.

#10 ·
It was the same with the 2007.5
I'm not sure how long it took to become available but it was not available when I bought my truck. Of course I did not find out until after I already had it home.
That's a little bit like not checking to see if you have toilet paper until you need to do the paperwork.
Good Catch spflyfish

#11 ·
I just installed an Anderson Ultimate CONNECTION along with an Andersen 3249 connection kit. Everything fits and works as advertised. I tried a Curt 60692 for the chains and ran into a massive problem with clearance of the Curt loops from the Andersen hitch. Sent the Curt kit back. The gooseneck location is further aft than my 2013 by at least 3 inches. The 2020 will get bags as soon as they are available as it squats 2.5 inches with the 5er hooked up. ANY 2019 GOOSENECK BALL FITS IN A 2020 DESPITE LOTS OF MISINFORMATION FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES OUT THERE. I do not know if I am completely sold on the Anderson so far. I have not trailered with it yet and leave tomorrow morning for 10 days. Hooking up the Andersen in the drive is a bit more of a pain than my old B&W to get the gooseneck ball fore and aft the correct amount. The in bed camera is not much help but I need to take some time to see if I can make a few alignment marks to make it easy. The second concern I have is having to raise the front of the 5er about 5 inches to get off the hitch. 2.5 inches on the squat and 2.5 inches of the ball. Half of that will go away when I get the bags on it. I will post a big report once I get trailering. I put in the break in miles and so far like the truck. the 10 spd takes a bit getting use to but there are tons of really nice features that my old truck did not have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.