2015.5 Spring Loaded Tailgate Removal - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Exterior Talk about the exterior of your truck here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

2015.5 Spring Loaded Tailgate Removal

I had a bit of an accident with the jaws on my 5th wheel not locking (totally my fault) and I ended up with the 5'ver sitting on the bed rails. The bed survived but the tailgate is destroyed. Found an LTZ same year same color new take-off tailgate for $900 so before I go pick it up, thought it best to inquire here to make sure I am not oversimplifying what's involved in removal and replacement.

Here's my angle of attack. The replacement had a camera in it which is now living elsewhere, mine is fine so I just figured I'll remove my entire handle/camera/locking assembly and install in the new tailgate. Will need to buy the cover that is on the front of the tailgate (i.e. is in the bad area) that the Denali comes with as mine is destroyed.

I am not sure how GM did this, but my model came with what I suspect is a rotary spring that slows the tailgate from slamming open. I'm concerned about how to unload the tension on that spring? If I am spot on with my other thoughts above, this one is my primary concern as I don't know a stitch about this part and cannot find a video on the subject.

I'd be surprised if GM made tailgate removal something harder than a quick couple of steps, but I've seen stranger things from them. So if there is nothing to it, please let me know that. Any help before I drop $900 is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2015.5 Denali CCSB 2500 Bone Stock
---except for Air Horn, 60 Gal Titan Tank, Sulastic's, Morimoto HID and LED Fogs, FASS 150, Kryptonite PISK
Overland Park, KS
Recovering Ford 6.0 PTSD Patient
Currently developing GMC CP4 Stressaholic

No one ever needed an attorney or a gun until the first one was born.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Finally! Wheels on!

Man I had to laugh because I did the same thing too to my LML a few years ago.

The LML also has a torsion spring although not as strong as the newer trucks.

My understanding is that you remove it while it is almost all the way closed by lifting up on the right side after removing the cables.

Supposed to be in the owners manual too.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:02 PM

To the OP. Curious what trailer hitch do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:50 PM

The torsion bar runs through the tailgate. You can get it with and without this option. If you buy a tailgate for the option, the torsion bar will already be installed.

Note.. that from my experience, a non-torsion tailgate cannot have the torsion mechanism swapped in. It is missing the hole through the tailgate and one hinge is different.

2005 Silverado 2500, Crew Cab Short Bed. 122,000 miles
MODS: AFE intake, LBZ mouth piece, MBRP cat- less exhaust.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock View Post
To the OP. Curious what trailer hitch do you have?
The actual fifth wheel is a 24K# Trailer Saver with the dual airbags. Love that thing but sent me to the surgery table for a dual hernia screen so now I use a chain hoist under my car lift to get it into the bed.

My failure to actually "lock" the jaws came from the fact that when I pull my own trailer, the pin always locks and I got complacent. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I was doing a kid a favor who has no father and I try to help the mom and son whenever they need. They bought a 43' trailer and needed it moved so I said no problem. No good deed goes unpunished. Totaly my fault.

---except for Air Horn, 60 Gal Titan Tank, Sulastic's, Morimoto HID and LED Fogs, FASS 150, Kryptonite PISK
Overland Park, KS

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDmax View Post
The torsion bar runs through the tailgate. You can get it with and without this option. If you buy a tailgate for the option, the torsion bar will already be installed.

Note.. that from my experience, a non-torsion tailgate cannot have the torsion mechanism swapped in. It is missing the hole through the tailgate and one hinge is different.
Uh oh. Might be an issue. Figured all 2015's had a torsion bar. Buessing I'm making assumptions I shouldn't be.

Overland Park, KS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in