Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2020 Chevy Traverse

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  66436 
#1 ·
So, I go out and get my wife a new Traverse. She's had 22 years of Tahoe's, and wanted something different. I wasn't thrilled.

1. V6
2. Direct Injection
3. Front Wheel Drive
4. THREE timing chains

The timing chains are a known issue, so I want to get the factory fill oil and filter changed ASAP.. which was today.

It's a "Interference Engine" so if you lose 1 chain, you lose the whole engine. Stock chains with crappy oil and filtration seem to go aprox 150k miles, give or take 50k.

The drain plug was barely more than finger tight. You know when you grab a near empty milk carton and ram it into the roof of the 'Fridge ? It was just like that. Thanks GM ( ...not)

The oil that came out was darker at 750 miles than my old 2012 Tahoe at 10k OCI's...... dang.

The oil filter was the typical Chevy, tightened to 11,000 ft. lbs.

I cut it open, and found what looks like eyelash's and other crud in it. Those that follow my threads know my displeasure in "Consumer Grade" oil filters. This is why.....

Also note the smashed construction and glue oozing out everywhere.

Mr. Manners hooked me up with a Amsoil filter ( The best construction and micron numbers of all consumer grade filters) and I dumped in my go to oil.... Mobil 1 5w/30.

The Transverse seems happier already!

See less See more
#4 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I have the privilege of owning a 2010 Traverse which ended up having the dreaded stretched timing chains as well as over $2500 worth of air conditioner issues.......was going to fix the timing chains myself, but it was the dead of winter and it was the wifes only vehicle for work, so I ended up having the dealership do it. Let me tell you, it was not a cheap fix (about $2200) by any means. We bought that traverse with 148k on the clock (first thing i did was change over to amsoil and an amsoil filter) and the chains went at about 166k. We are stuck with that one as i cannot sell it due to having so much money into the damn thing. it has 175k on it now and the digital display is going out........

We ended up getting a new 2019 traverse last July. At 1500 miles, I switched it over to amsoil and amsoil filter as well. I am hoping for better luck with this one. Supposedly, from my local shop manager, the new 3.6 shouldnt have the same issue. I guess time will tell. I forgot to add, we only have 2000 miles on the 2019 as we run the crap out of the 2010.

#9 ·
We are looking at picking up a Traverse or Enclave in a month or so as well. Probably buying a year or two old used one, so I will be sure to check service records given what you shared here.

#10 ·
2200$ is too much for that job I bought the cam tools needed for that job and they were 150$ and it is only like a 6 hour or so job I think I'm at home not at work so I can't look it up but that seems excessive to me find a good shop and not a dealership they will treat you right

#14 ·
When you say it takes 6 hours, are you referring to doing the job in the car? I know the dealership drops the entire motor out of the vehicle when doing timing chains. The actual cost was like $1800 but i had them replace spark plugs and a few other items while they were in there. I found similar prices on the traverse forums where people have talked about having them changed at dealerships when i was quoted that price. With the local shops only doing minor maintenance, I went to the dealership in town.

#11 ·
There is a design flaw with the V-6 engine used in the Traverse that can prevent sufficient lubrication of the timing chain. GM increase the size of the oil port with this engine starting in 2011 and for older cars they recommended changing the motor oil at shorter intervals.

Knowing this is a weak point for the engine I have decided to change the oil every 5,000 miles instead of referring to the DIC. Ordinarily this is a dumb thing to do but as a timing chain replacement is a very expensive repair I have decided to change my normal practices. I also buy the ACDelco filter in advance so that the quick lube place is not using their aftermarket filter.

Overall with more than 10,000 miles on our 2018 Traverse it is the best car I have ever owned over the last 50 years in every respect. More cargo space than a Suburban and it gets 22 mpg around town and over 30 mpg on the highway. The ride on the bad road in my area is a great deal better than what I experienced with my Mercedes.

Amsoil makes the lowest quality motor oil for diesel engines so I would never trust their oil filters. With my truck I tried the Fram air filter and it was noticeably inferior to the ACDelco one and so I returned the Fram and bought another ACDelco one.
The pressure relief setting for the oil filter and how much it restricts flow when fully loaded is something I trust ACDelco to get right and not a third party manufacturer.

Just because a company like Amsoil spends a great deal of money on advertising and promotion and endorsements, it is not a good reason to trust their products. It reminds me of when people were adding STP to the crankcase as according to the race car drivers they paid for endorsements it was supposed to be "the racer's edge" which was pure BS. Independent lab tests have shown that Amsoil falls in the bottom 25% of diesel motor oils in terms of the additive mix used.

#15 ·
I guess I was wrong I have done a few and it only took me like 6 hours and yes I do them in the car I hate screwing with systems I dont have to (i.e. trans cooler lines, a/c, drive shafts) but I just looked it up and it calls for like 13 hours. Skimmed over the procedure that gm wants you to follow and it says drop engine out of car but not in so many words. My mistake but it is very possible to do them in the car and it doesn't take that long. But that's how they make their money charge 13 hours and work for 6 isn't a bad gig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.