help me understand turbo temp for safe shutdown - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

help me understand turbo temp for safe shutdown

I have a 2019 Dmax with a Banks i-Dash.

I know from the owners manual and from the forums that I should not shut the truck down when the turbocharger is "too hot", say at the top of a long hard hill pulling a trailer. I think I read that the 2020's come with a feature that won't let the truck shut down until the target temp is achieved.

1. WHICH PID ARE YOU USING TO MEASURE "TURBO" TEMPERATURE? I have EGT which I understand to be exhaust temperature into the turbo, and I have EGT1 which looks to be the exit side of the Turbo. Is EGT1 the right temperature to use to indicate turbo temperature for safe shut down?

2. And, HOW LOW DOES THAT TEMPERATURE NEED TO BE TO SAFELY SHUT DOWN? I'm using Mobile Delvac oil that (supposedly) comes in it from the factory.

I've seen some discussion on the forum on target temperature, but am confused mostly on WHICH temperature I need to look at. I have 6 different exhaust system temperatures available on my gauge = EGT + EGT1-5

Thanks.

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:25 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
All the other models of HDs were coolant cooled turbos....so none of that shut down thing mattered.

Different turbo on the L5P, is it not coolant cooled like all of the others (Garrett) have been?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

No idea....

Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:44 AM

Best bet is to let EGT stabilize. I typically let the EGT on my truck stabilize below 400F so it does not cook the oil in the bearings. Turbo cores are oil, water or both cooled units.

Unless you pull a long hill at 1000f plus temps and come to an abrupt stop at the top shutting the truck down with elevated output pressure, the turbo starts cooling immediately after the pull. I have monitored mine and usually notice even after hard driving, it takes less than 1 minute after parking to stabilize below 400F.

If you are concerned, watch EOT along with EGT. EOT while driving will be 20-30F above ECT (flat driving pulling trailer), when you stop, EOT's usually drop below ECT's. Watch EGT, EOT, and ECT to see when they stabilize. Once the stabilize, wait 30 - 60 seconds before shutting the truck off.

I think the extended run feature has to do with the regen cycle. If it does not complete a regen within X number of shutdowns, it will restart and finish the cycle.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Pardon the dumb question, but what is "EOT"?

Trans cooler grill
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:18 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
engine oil temp EOT vs engine coolant temp ECT

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in