8 wires for a 7 wire trailer plug??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

8 wires for a 7 wire trailer plug???

I finally decided to mount a 5th wheel plug in the back using the extra harness behind the cab. Pulled the harness down and the previous owner had already used it and cut his old plug out and taped everything back up.

Problem I have is there are 8 wires there for a 7 wire plug??? I have these colors.

Red
White
Yellow
Brown
Dark Blue
Light Blue
Dark Green
Light Green

Any ideas?

06 Silverado LBZ ecsb-4" straight exhaust 90HP tow tune with efilive

98 Firebird Formula-heads/cam and everything under the sun.....11.80's at full weight with more left in the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I finally decided to mount a 5th wheel plug in the back using the extra harness behind the cab. Pulled the harness down and the previous owner had already used it and cut his old plug out and taped everything back up.

Problem I have is there are 8 wires there for a 7 wire plug??? I have these colors.

Red
White
Yellow
Brown
Dark Blue
Light Blue
Dark Green
Light Green

Any ideas?
Subbed. I know a few but not all off the op of my head. I think the digram should be in the owners manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 GMC 3500HD CC LB DRW 4x4~Westin Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Antenna "Delete", Plasti Dipped Grill and Emblems and Rims, Leveled, Funky Gear Rims, Nictane Adapter with Donaldson and Clear Bowl, 3" Magna Flow Down Pipe, 5" Diamond Eye Exhaust Dumped, EFI By Kory, Crobra 29LTD WX/BT/NW CB, Dual 4' Firesticks, Recon Roof Lights, Reese Pro Series 15K 5th Wheel Hitch

1985 Chevy C20 RCLB 350 4 Bolt, 4 Barrel Carb, 4.10 Gears, 8600 GVW, Glass Packs Dumped, Pig Skin Leather, Bed Mounted 5th Wheel, Dual 20 gal Tanks, 62,146 Miles, Indian Bronze and Cream~Rolled

DF DRW Club Member 129

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:02 PM
jokerfabworx.com

This is the typical/generic wiring.

Is it in the truck's owner's manual?

Last edited by JOKER; 06-02-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: wrong picture. Sorry, Gooser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Pretty sure it is. And since when do we use round plugs anymore? Most the trailers I have hooked to were RV Blade plugs, which is what the OP needs. Turn signals are on the sides, that I know.

2008 GMC 3500HD CC LB DRW 4x4~Westin Step Bars, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Antenna "Delete", Plasti Dipped Grill and Emblems and Rims, Leveled, Funky Gear Rims, Nictane Adapter with Donaldson and Clear Bowl, 3" Magna Flow Down Pipe, 5" Diamond Eye Exhaust Dumped, EFI By Kory, Crobra 29LTD WX/BT/NW CB, Dual 4' Firesticks, Recon Roof Lights, Reese Pro Series 15K 5th Wheel Hitch

1985 Chevy C20 RCLB 350 4 Bolt, 4 Barrel Carb, 4.10 Gears, 8600 GVW, Glass Packs Dumped, Pig Skin Leather, Bed Mounted 5th Wheel, Dual 20 gal Tanks, 62,146 Miles, Indian Bronze and Cream~Rolled

DF DRW Club Member 129

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the rear plug just to see what I had back there and 7 wires go to the plug with that light blue wire going to a seperate clip. There's a tag on the harness that lists the colors and what they are.....LT BLU is the CHMSL which is "center high mounted stop lamp" or 3rd brake light. My question now is what do I do with that wire for 5er's plug?

98 Firebird Formula-heads/cam and everything under the sun.....11.80's at full weight with more left in the car
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

ok.....haha best I can tell it's for the CHMSL on a cap or slide in camper. I'm going to cap it and see what happens.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
The camper harness comes from the factory just stubbed and taped-- and laying on the fuel tank. There is NO connector on the harness.

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
ok.....haha best I can tell it's for the CHMSL on a cap or slide in camper. I'm going to cap it and see what happens.
You are correct just cap it.

2005 Chevy 2500HD
EFI Live by Cory, Edge Insight CTS, mouthpiece mod, 5" MBRP Straight pipe...
Daily driver and tow vehicle
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER View Post
This is the typical/generic wiring.

Is it in the truck's owner's manual?
I used the plug instructions and the only real difference is wire color and that center post was labeled as back up lights which I don't even think my camper even has. I tested it and everything showed good to go. I used the manual control on the brake controller and it showed proper voltage so it looks like I'm all good. No more 5er cord hanging over the tailgate.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

There ya go. Where did ya put the plug? I'm gonna do mine soon and need ideas. Also I have never seen a trailer with back up lights. Don't know why, they just don't seem to have them. A black up alarm might be a good thing though.

DF DRW Club Member 129

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode