Radio locked... should I just buy an after market radio, I have BOSE - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Cool Radio locked... should I just buy an after market radio, I have BOSE

So the truck I picked up the screen of the radio was smashed, so I decided to buy a cheap used one and that one says its locked.

Is there a cheap after market radio that is compatible with the bose speakers in my truck I should use instead of trying to unlock this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull14218 View Post
So the truck I picked up the screen of the radio was smashed, so I decided to buy a cheap used one and that one says its locked.

Is there a cheap after market radio that is compatible with the bose speakers in my truck I should use instead of trying to unlock this one?
Whatever aftermarket unit is purchased will require a harness/adapter to make it work anyway. So at that point you can choose to interface with the Bose system or to wire in around it.

-'07 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic LT3; MF Downpipe; 4" DE Exhaust, PPEI EFI Live, CTS2-
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to ob_1jr
FYI, dealers can code the radio and normally charge half an hour for it. Talk to them, it might be better than trying to get everything aftermarket working. I know when I swapped out my head unit in my 04 to a 6 disc changer, the dealer charged me $65 to code it. For the newer trucks, not sure about since you don't have a signature filled out or any information on what truck you have.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Extang Blackmax Tonneau
Weathertech floor mats and mud flaps
X-pel clear bra
295/60-20 Toyo Open Country A/T II
Custom EFILive tuning by Kennedy Diesel
Kryponite UCA and Bilstein 5100s

SOLD 2004 GMC Sierra LB7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Sorry i have a 2009 silverado CCLB duramax LTZ

2009 Silverado 3500HD CCLB Duramax 270k Miles, all stock
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob_1jr View Post
FYI, dealers can code the radio and normally charge half an hour for it. Talk to them, it might be better than trying to get everything aftermarket working. I know when I swapped out my head unit in my 04 to a 6 disc changer, the dealer charged me $65 to code it. For the newer trucks, not sure about since you don't have a signature filled out or any information on what truck you have.
Thats the think, is it worth even putting $65 into this old radio, or should I just buy a cheap double din with the harnesses to make it work?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to ob_1jr
Depending on what radio and how much the harness will be...You will be into it for well more than $65. Even a cheap head unit will cost around $100.

Just quickly looking on crutchfield for just a radio with bluetooth streaming capabilities, that is $80, $9 for the trim install piece, and another $65 just for the wiring harness to keep all the bose and bluetooth working. You most definitely can get the stuff cheaper, but you won't be plug and play like that. Or if you know a shop that has either a TechII or some other scanner/programmer (saw that snap-on tool works, but you have to pay for the software from GM).

If you like to do wiring and tinkering with your truck and you have the time, you can get an aftermarket radio to work...but you already have a stock unit that you probably might break even if you try to sell it. I would call the dealer and see how much they charge to unlock the radio.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Extang Blackmax Tonneau
Weathertech floor mats and mud flaps
X-pel clear bra
295/60-20 Toyo Open Country A/T II
Custom EFILive tuning by Kennedy Diesel
Kryponite UCA and Bilstein 5100s

SOLD 2004 GMC Sierra LB7
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Is it worth getting the PAC module/harness or whatever its called to keep the BOSE, or would by passing that be better off?

If I by passed it would the new radio work with the stock bose speakers and sound anywhere near as good?

I'm worried replacement radio I got won't work when I go to a dealer to have it unlocked. Then it would be a waste of money.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull14218 View Post
Thats the think, is it worth even putting $65 into this old radio, or should I just buy a cheap double din with the harnesses to make it work?

the harness alone is about 150$ so cheap is a relative term for that truck.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode