2018 Non Bose Stereo upgrade questions - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:22 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
thank you, looks like that one was for a Colorado, searching!
there are several vehicles in that guide, scroll down. Maestros stuff covers MANY vehicles with 1 module by selling you the module and the harness separately. its a great cost savings in production to not have to build a unique system for every vehicle. As a result though, there guides are somewhat... lengthy...

for the record, they would be my preferred choice for a deck replacement harness, with second place going to PAC. There harness can be purchases separate of the module and it would give you the female end of the harness to connect to the factory harness, all you would need to make your own T would be a factory connector and some solder. though, i would just cut the 4 wires you need in the factory harness and call it a day. That is also how any shop would do it for you.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
there are several vehicles in that guide, scroll down. Maestros stuff covers MANY vehicles with 1 module by selling you the module and the harness separately. its a great cost savings in production to not have to build a unique system for every vehicle. As a result though, there guides are somewhat... lengthy...

for the record, they would be my preferred choice for a deck replacement harness, with second place going to PAC. There harness can be purchases separate of the module and it would give you the female end of the harness to connect to the factory harness, all you would need to make your own T would be a factory connector and some solder. though, i would just cut the 4 wires you need in the factory harness and call it a day. That is also how any shop would do it for you.
its correct! lol I didn't scroll far enough down, thank you! doh!

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
moregrip is offline  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:32 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,744
side note, i noticed your in Vegas. When you apply that matting, make sure your not in direct sunlight, as it will soften the adhesive significantly. Heat is often used to apply rubber mat, but sitting in direct sunlight in Vegas would probably be a little warmer then intended. you will also want to make sure that you roll it into the metal with a hard wooden roller to ensure bonding to the metal. (be careful not to deform the outer sheet metal of the door) you should clean the metal where you want to apply mat with alcohol, do not use brake clean, it will take paint off, the alcohol will as well but to much less of a degree. These steps are recommended everywhere, but in really hot climates they are required or it will not stick well long term. also, do NOT cover wire harnesses with the rubber mat, if you ever need to service one of them, your life, or the mechanics life will be hell, and either way you are going to pay for it. if harnesses are rattling use the foam and put it under the harness, and another piece on the opposite side to sandwich the harness between the foam.
moregrip likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
side note, i noticed your in Vegas. When you apply that matting, make sure your not in direct sunlight, as it will soften the adhesive significantly. Heat is often used to apply rubber mat, but sitting in direct sunlight in Vegas would probably be a little warmer then intended. you will also want to make sure that you roll it into the metal with a hard wooden roller to ensure bonding to the metal. (be careful not to deform the outer sheet metal of the door) you should clean the metal where you want to apply mat with alcohol, do not use brake clean, it will take paint off, the alcohol will as well but to much less of a degree. These steps are recommended everywhere, but in really hot climates they are required or it will not stick well long term. also, do NOT cover wire harnesses with the rubber mat, if you ever need to service one of them, your life, or the mechanics life will be hell, and either way you are going to pay for it. if harnesses are rattling use the foam and put it under the harness, and another piece on the opposite side to sandwich the harness between the foam.
Copy all, will follow those guidelines for sure, I tend to be a little on the particular side when doing my own work so I will do all I can to make it a clean and functional install. Maybe there's a wrecked late model at the local pick a part I can cut some electrical connectors out of = inventory search!

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
moregrip is offline  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
analog would mean that the deck produces an AC wave that plays directly to the speakers. That does not necessarily mean the deck does not have sensing for dead speakers (when you would need resistors) some decks send a digital signal to a amplifier that decodes the data, processes it, amplifies it, then sends an analog signal to the speakers. This can be done either over copper wire, or plastic fiber optic cable depending on the design of the car. GM does not use fiber optic cable, so you are in the clear there.

i have not done a 18, but i have done a 17 and resistors were not required, at least when replacing the speakers with an aftermarket with a 4 ohm voice coil.

I have used resistors on that truck before, but only when amplifying the door speakers. The resistor was used to keep the factory tweeters from blowing your eardrums with the door chime.

while i have not personally used the summing device you are talking about, i do know about it, and have heard lots of good things about it. I will tell you that the factory radio on those new trucks really cuts the bass hard, without some kind of signal processor, your final results (sub wise) may be underwhelming.
revisiting this: if I pull a signal from the front speakers (keeping the dash speakers on deck power only) to the LC2i to Amplifier to the 2-way Components (passive X-over) to the front doors, will my chimes be at the current stock volumes or will they be amplified?

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
moregrip is offline  
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:24 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
revisiting this: if I pull a signal from the front speakers (keeping the dash speakers on deck power only) to the LC2i to Amplifier to the 2-way Components (passive X-over) to the front doors, will my chimes be at the current stock volumes or will they be amplified?

i beleive the dash speakers are in parallel with the door speakers on most truck, unless your truck has more then 4 channels from the factory the dash speakers will be connected to the front doors. This will ultimately end in them being amplified to some extent. Depending on how you tune the amp, it may not be a problem. or you may find they are too loud. If they are too loud, installing a 30-50 watt 8 ohm sandstone resistor in series seems to bring them down to a reasonable level. You likely do not need a resistor that large, its just what i had on hand.
moregrip likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 533
What part of factory stereo id for XM holds that id info? I have life time XM and next truck I want to take with me.Is it what I see on face or an other component? Sorry I just never see anyone know what's what.

16 GMC Denali 3500 stock for now
Scott1979 is offline  
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 12:06 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1979 View Post
What part of factory stereo id for XM holds that id info? I have life time XM and next truck I want to take with me.Is it what I see on face or an other component? Sorry I just never see anyone know what's what.
there is an XM tuner behind the face of the radio in the dash, but i do not know where the license information is stored or if its vin locked or not. most if not all the GM radios in the last 10 + years are vin locked to the truck they are in and require dealer programming to interchange. I do not have a good answer for you, we dont have satellite radio coverage here so its not something we deal with.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is offline  
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 533
Some how they know vin of vehicle.Thanks,like I said not much mentioned of this subject. Sorry for non subject post in hopes of figuring it out.Thanks

16 GMC Denali 3500 stock for now
Scott1979 is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 106
Update: I know it's been a hot minute but some new $hit has come to light; first there was this video incorporating an Amp Pro AP4-GM61:

Then there was this loop back harness video:

And finally plans have changed slightly; First thing I ordered was this rear seat lift kit (#1425) from Lee:
LMI Welding Quality Metal Fabrication

I will most likely be incorporating a budget friendly DSP into the mix although I have not made that decision yet.

Next I am going to modify a wedge shaped subwoofer box I already own to fit my Sundown SA10, most likely down firing due to excursion.

Lastly I'm pretty sold on the new Pioneer TS-Z65CH components, they sound very clean to my ear using Crutchfields "compare the sound" feature.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSZ...-TS-Z65CH.html

I'm going to break this install up into various smaller jobs to make things a little easier and "more fun" for me. Probably going to start with sound proofing the rear seat area and back wall along with installing the rear seat lift kit.

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
moregrip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome