Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2019 2500Hd lighting

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Sawtooth 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i know this topic has been beaten to death, but I have a couple questions. I have done a search on hear an read every thread about it and my head feels like its gonna explode with all the options and choices and i really dont understand it that well.

So here is the deal, i just bought a 2019 Silverado 2500hd and i would like to put some HID lights in it. In my previous truck (2015 Silverado 2500hd) i had DDM tunings hid kits (55 watt for high beam 35 watt for low beam both 6k for color). They seemed to work well and way better then stock (every once in awhile on brights i would get a flicker but then it would go away).

My question is, is there something newer, better? Different brand to go with? I do not understand the hole projector thing being replaced concept, i dont know if i need to do that or not? Im looking for someone who has found good set up that is not too complicated to install.

Thanks for you help fellas,

Pic of truck

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
the purpose of a projector is to focus the light from the HDI bulb into a usable beam with a cutoff that prevents blinding oncoming traffic. The reason this is brought up frequently is because the focal point of the HID bulb is not the same as the focal point of the halogen bulb, this caused the factory reflector style housings to scatter the lights and a lot of it goes up towards on coming cars. Even if you have a projector (cheap amazon kits and what not) you cannot necessarily switch it from halogen to HID for the same reason. That said, people are going to do what they want, im just trying to answer the question.

as far as the flicker goes, a possible solution would be to install a 6-10 amp schottky diode in series with the + or - side of the HID bulb (so that current can only flow 1 direction) then use a relatively large 16V capacitor (2200 uF +) across the + and - to buffer the ripple in voltage.

as far as brands go, ive never used DDM, i have always used the retrofit source for my vehicles and friends, never once been let down.

#4 ·
The gmc's have the hid but Chevy's do not for some dumb reason.. At least my high country didn't..

Or maybe the 18 and 19 models have changed but I no the 17's are like that.. I had a gmc and my brother had a chevy and his lights were definitely different from mine..

Reactions: C-130JSuperHerk
#8 ·
I also have a 2019 Chev Silverado 3500 ltz just had it in the shop today ,complaining about the lights . They said there was nothing wrong with the lights ,all they did was adjust them . Was just out for a drive to see how they were, no change , back to dealer tomorrow. .I really hope there is someone on here has a solution to this ,not a happy camper.

#9 ·
The projectors are the issue. Putting different bulbs won’t make much difference maybe even worse like was said earlier due to the pattern of hid/ led lighting. I agree the factory lighting is awful and dangerous. I upgraded mine with a retro kit from fastheadlights.com. Ridiculous that I had to on a top of the line truck but they are much better. The swap Is pretty easy they have a nice cut off so you won’t be getting flashed all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.