Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New battery

7K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Enigma66 
#1 ·
So on my 2015 2500 HD gas motor, the CCA‘s are starting to decrease in the battery. I found this out because the truck is at the dealership now getting a state inspection.

It has the original stock battery. So I asked them how much for a new battery and they said $321 parts and labor!

So I called a local shop and they deal with interstate batteries. From my understanding that’s a pretty good brand. I was looking at their premium battery which is 850 CCA’s and a 36 month warranty free replacement. He said it would be around $185 installed.

Anyone have any experience with interstate batteries or think this is a good size battery for this truck?

#2 ·
I'm running Interstate on my 2005 Duramax...those batteries are very good.

Bob Anderson
From my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk.

#3 ·
Awesome man, that’s good to hear. I’m not sure if there is a bigger battery but I went to the interstate website and this is their premium 850 CCA. That came back when I entered my make and model year. I assume that’s a little bigger than the stock battery that came with the truck.

#7 ·
Yeah… A total outrage!

They got you by the balls though. Said I had a license plate light bulb out and it will be $24 to replace it so I ppass inspection. I know I can get a pack of two bulbs for around four dollars. But then I get a rejection sticker and have to find time to have my vehicle reinspected.

At any rate I guess the interstate battery probably has what, another hundred- 125 more CCCA’s than a regular stock battery?

#12 ·
Also, was told on another forum to check the batteries that Walmart sells. That all batteries are made by Johnson Controls or Exide and then rebranded. That I could find a battery at Walmart for a lot cheaper than buying the interstate battery and it would essentially be the same thing.

#14 ·
Most all are re-branded, true. But there's more than just two mfrs. .
IMO, EastPenn is better than the ones listed. Many places carry theirs too, under their own brand....like Deka and NAPA Legend.

But Heat kills batts far quicker than the cold. Up North, some regularly report 6+ years of life, while down here in the South, anything from 6mos to 2 years is normal.

Reactions: sambor
#16 ·
Wally's EverStart is low tier...but some like the warranty....and that's all that really matters, they're going to fail and if the warranty is lengthy, you just keep swappin' 'em out. :teehee

That's why I never considered the extra cost of Gel, when I can keep swappin' out lead acid for 1/3 the cost.

#18 ·
They use to be significantly higher in $$...but now, I see many that aren't that much more.
I think the matts are more beneficial in a rough bangin' around ride, where jarring could quickly do in a plate batt.

#20 · (Edited)
** this is for a 6.0 gas by the way**

Well I called up Costco and they do in fact sell interstate batteries. The battery for my truck is $146.99. That is about $33 cheaper than the local repair shop up the road. However I got to looking and there is a slight difference in the one Costco sells versus everyone else.

Also I was told if you buy the interstate battery at Costco and have a problem with it, only Costco will deal with the warrantee issue versus a nationwide warranty at any shop. Not too sure how important that is but that’s what I was told at least.

The interstate battery Costco sells is rated at 765 CCA’s and 955 cranking amps.

The interstate battery everyone else sells for my truck is rated at 790 CCA’s and 985 cranking amps.

I have absolutely no idea that those slight variances make any difference? The only reason I ask is I definitely would not want to downgrade in order to save $33. If it’s a wash because the numbers are so close then I’ll just get it at Cosco.

#21 ·
** this is for a 6.0 gas by the way**

Well I called up Costco and they do in fact sell interstate batteries. The battery for my truck is $146.99. That is about $33 cheaper than the local repair shop up the road. However I got to looking and there is a slight difference in the one Costco cells versus everyone else.

Also I was told if you buy the interstate battery at Costco and have a problem with it, only Costco will deal with the warrantee issue versus a nationwide warranty at any shop. Not too sure how important that is but that’s what I was told at least.

The interstate battery Costco sells is rated at 765 CCA’s and 955 cranking amps.

The interstate battery everyone else sells for my truck is rated at 790 CCA’s and 985 cranking amps.

I have absolutely no idea that those slight variances make any difference? The only reason I ask is I definitely would not want to downgrade in order to save $33. If it’s a wash because the numbers are so close then I’ll just get it at Cosco.

the warranty on the battery is probably not that important in your climate either, typically it is heat that kills batteries, so places like texas, arizona and the like are really hard on them, and as a result, you are likely to warranty a battery some time in its life. In the goldilocks climates though, batteries can last 5+ years without issue, ive personally had batteries in my diesel truck last 11 years and still test good, even with average winter temps below zero. Cold lowers cranking power but does not damage batteries (unless they freeze) its heat that kills batteries, so temperate climates are really pretty easy on them, i would not shop for warranty, i would shop for price based on your location. Now, if the extra 20 CCA makes you sleep better at night, knock yourself out, its not gonna hurt anything, but thats 33$ towards a bigger turbo or other toys >:)

Also, as previously discussed, based on your average temperatures, your CCA value will be significantly higher than what is on the case, since that value was calculated at 0 degrees F. so that 770 is quite a bit higher at 40 degrees. Since your not cranking a 16:1 compression engine, you also dont need 400 amps to crank your truck, so either battery would be equally sufficient for your needs. Costco typically is pretty good about returns though, i would probably rather deal with them than the manufacturer or a local shop.

#23 ·
Interstate batteries do NOT last very long in AZ.
I pretty much used AC Delco the higher CCA in my Dmax and Yukon but they've priced themselves out of my wallet.
I recently I went with the Duracell 46 AGM at Sam's club with both vehicles.

#24 ·
Arizona was used as an example of a climate that destroys batteries, OP is in Virginia. Per google, average summer temps is around 70 and average winter temp around 40. Kinda sounds like a nice place. I cant imagine that any battery holds up particularly well to baking at 130 degrees though.

#27 ·
The thing about heat is that it evaporates the electrolyte and buckles the plates. If you can get inside the battery to add water then it will do a lot better in the heat.

What really kills batteries is bouncing them around when they are discharged. That knocks sulfate off the plates which collects in the bottom of the cells. Eventually it will short out the plates and then that cell is dead. It is possible to fix this but at that point most people just trade it out. If you can keep the battery cool, full of electrolyte and charged it will outlast the warranty significantly.

#28 ·
I did some research cause I had to get batteries for both the Yukon XL and the 07 2500HD Classic. 3 batteries total. Johnson batteries used to be USA made with tight controls and made great batteries. Evidently when they were bought out and the manufacturing wnet to Mexico a lot of the lead purification anso went away. This was relayed to me by an employee. I looked for an East Penn AGM Battery. I came across a web site that listed who makes what batteries, but I can't seem to find it now. Interstate gets their batteries from multiple sources so some are better then others and the one I was looking for wasn't available locally. Found Duracell has an AGM East Penn battery and is sold at Sam's Club. Not only that it was cheaper than anything else I was considering. Went down got 3 batteries with 1 installed. I am very happy with them.

DocRobbs

#29 ·
Before they shut it down and moved production to Mexico, I frequently went out to the Aurora, Colorado Johnson Controls/Optima plant to work on some equipment. They were good workers and took pride in their work. I was very sad when they shut the place down.

I now use Deka (East Penn) automotive batteries with great results. I think you folks would like them as well. Look them up.

#30 ·
I put new ac delco batteries in my truck when it started slow cranking last year but I have an 84 k25 which I have owned since 2006 and I haven't even registered cause I am planning on making it me and my 5 year old boys play truck and I put a napa legend battery in it maybe 5 years ago (of course I unhook the cables when I'm not using) but every time I go to start it I put the fuel line in the gas can and crank away and it fills the carb and starts the truck with very little charge time cause i am usually moving it short distances but if I didn't get a killer deal on the ac delco batteries I would have went with napa. We used to sell interstate but we got to the point where we were warranting out so many we switched to fvp which seem to be pretty good but yeah choose your own battery and see what happens

#32 ·
O'Reilly version of East Penn AGM battery

About a year ago I replaced both lead acid batteries. Have had Optimas in other vehicles and still have them in my travel trailer. But after shopping around and reading forum posts I decided to go with East Penn AGMs. I ended up getting them from O'Reilly under their brand name "Super Start Platinum" (P/N 78PLT, Line SSB, 3-year limited warranty) Their price was $30 higher than NAPA's version but they matched the NAPA price and saved me a drive across town. I paid $159.29 each. Total sale with tax was about $385. They're young yet but so far are working perfectly.

#33 · (Edited)
I Had AAA replace both batteries in my LBZ about 1 1/2 years ago. They are rebranded East Penn Manufacturing units. USA made. The truck starts no problem in -10F and a foot of new snow on the truck from sitting out all day at the ski hill. Also no problems sitting out at 105F in the summer. They came to my house and installed them for $150ea. I was on a no lifting restriction from recent spine surgery so it really came in handy.

Ive used Deka in my ATVs for a long time. Just replaced one after 7years. Thats more life than the OEM YUASA gave me.

Just put a AAA battery in the wifes car too.

I tried Costco batteries in 2 different cars and my LBZ with poor results. They used to be USA made but are now built in Mexico. However, Costco has an amazing "zero hassle" return policy so I always got 100% of my money back. I just dont want to deal with battery reliability issues though. I have better things to spend my time on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.