2014 2500 Went Swimming - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

As I read the OP, the truck was purchased after the 5 hour saltwater dunk. Correct or not? If the truck was purchased and insured , then into saltwater, by all means, use your insurance to cover your loss. If the truck purchase was after the saltwater, you have little else to loose but your time, efforts and $ to replace parts.

So what happened to the truck? What saltwater pool? Caught in the surf? Was it completely submerged?

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:06 PM

First post of this person. No comments afterwards. Something a little fishy here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD CC SRW 6.6 LMM 190,000 miles. Bought new
Fully deleted, uppipe, 3 downpipe, EGR delete, cold air intake, cold and hot side tubes, EFI live tuning and DSP5 switch, Transgo Junior kit, PCV bypass, Allison deep pan and filter kit, Moog tie rod upgrade

2015.5 Chevrolet 3500HD CC DRW 6.6 LML 103,000 miles Bought with 98,000 miles
Stock
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Fishing story....

2006 LBZ crew regular bed
285/70r17
Daily driver
Horse hauler
No other mods
280k and going strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:09 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
As I read the OP, the truck was purchased after the 5 hour saltwater dunk. Correct or not? If the truck was purchased and insured , then into saltwater, by all means, use your insurance to cover your loss. If the truck purchase was after the saltwater, you have little else to loose but your time, efforts and $ to replace parts.

So what happened to the truck? What saltwater pool? Caught in the surf? Was it completely submerged?
I read it as he bought it and then sank it, so if that's not the case and it was for some reason bought in this state, then yea, no harm trying to dry it out, but if it was purchased dry and running and is now an aquarium feature, then the insurance should deal with it because it will never be "right" again.

That said i would love to hear the story that goes with this thread. fresh water? i could see several ways that could pretty easily happen... but salt water? short of getting stuck on the beach at low tide im not sure what else would be a likely cause.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:39 PM

You guys that are talking of turning it in to insurance are funny. What do you think happens then? They crush it? I bet the thing was flooded for whatever reason and went through the insurance company already.

To the OP: New wiring harnesses and modules from gm would be a good place to start. Probably somewhat of a pain getting it all to work again, but if you bought it right...

2006 ccsb 4x4 lbz/allison stock other than hptuners by me
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:10 PM

Not sure about a diesel in a truck but with diesels in a boat that has been under in salt water the engine is pickled. He can look it up. The good thing about a salt water pool is that its relatively clean via ocean water.
mHere likes this.

2006 LBZ crew regular bed
285/70r17
Daily driver
Horse hauler
No other mods
280k and going strong.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:30 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mHere View Post
You guys that are talking of turning it in to insurance are funny. What do you think happens then? They crush it? I bet the thing was flooded for whatever reason and went through the insurance company already.

To the OP: New wiring harnesses and modules from gm would be a good place to start. Probably somewhat of a pain getting it all to work again, but if you bought it right...
I think that at that point its not the OPs issue, and since the truck is totaled they cannot legally sell it as a used vehicle and must sell it as a salvage title so at least the next owner would know they were in for a shit show and can make the decision to buy or not to buy with that information in mind. I am aware that some insurance companies kind of play it a little loose with this kind of thing, but either way its not the OP's issue which is ultimately the point of this thread.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:08 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
A SALT-WATER VEHICLE ?

Just as a point-of-information, rats got into my 2005 3500 crew/long-bed dualie. They chewed thru wiring in the engine compartment, causing "shorts" that ruined the computers (some of you guys think we own trucks....WRONG....we own a bunch of computers that are bolted to some wheels....!).

My nice "mint" ( less than 80,000 mi.) truck became a "constructive total loss", when the cost just for the parts ( again, only "damage" was to the wiring and various computers ruined by the short circuits - putting a full twelve volts to where those volts weren't supposed to be....) exceeded ten grand.

I appreciate the problem..there are a lot of older "wrench turners" like me who don't fully grasp how labor-intensive and sophisticated these computers - with - wheels are.

I agree with some of the other posters - we don't have enough info. on this OP and his post to rule out it isn't some kind of troll or kid with time on his hands.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:08 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Start by submerging it in a fresh water pool for 5 hrs.......
2THE9S likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:13 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Step back 10 yards, call hike and punt the ball as high and far as possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode