Building Audio / Visual system in LBZ - I want to learn from you! - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
The RP5-GM11 has 2 plugs on the side of the module, one for amplified one for non amplified, you can use it to bypass the factory amp as described above, you would just plug into the unamplified connector on the blue module instead of the bose amp plug.

fantastic, thank you!

Will it be apparent where to wire in the radio to this and then the 9 wire to it? or is there a writeup somewhere that I can't find on the Google Machine?

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY (LBZ tuned) Crew Cab Short Box SLT 4x4: Air Dog II-4G, Hummer H2 chrome wheels, Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT 285/70R17, Denali headlights with Morimoto mini H1 7.0 projector retrofit, Morimoto 90mm LED fog lights, 2Stroke LED high beam bulbs, All On Mod, tow mirrors, Starlite 5 tunes, DSP5 switch, CTS2 monitor, Homelink overhead center console, full audio system
1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula everything is modded
2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
2013 Victory Motorcycles Highball
2006 Polaris IQ RMK 660 mod snowmobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:28 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisn1 View Post
fantastic, thank you!

Will it be apparent where to wire in the radio to this and then the 9 wire to it? or is there a writeup somewhere that I can't find on the Google Machine?
i think that it is apparent, but i also did this for a living for quite a few years. Google will almost certainly have this answers for you as well but ill give a summary of how the wiring should be done.

from the radio connect RCA cables to the 4 channel amp. This is your low level signal into the amplifier (if your amp supports high level input you can do that too if you like, that is up to you and there are good and bad reasons for both options)

From the 4 channel amp to the harness, connect speed wire to each of the 8 outputs on the amp, run the wire up to the radio cavity, and connect it to the color coded speaker wires that plug into 1 of the 2 ports shown in the picture above. Alternately you can omit that harness all together and hardwire the speed wire into the factory wiring, but running through the pac module should be fine unless your are exceeding 50 watts per speaker, which if memory serves is all the module is rated to pass through it. If you are exceeding that you need to hardware the speed wire into the factory speaker wires behind the radio.

You need to run the blue/white wire from the radio to the amp, there is a blue wire in the 9 wire that is intended for this, connect the blue/white at the radio to the blue wire in the speed wire, and the other end of the blue wire to the remote input on the amp, connect power and ground on the amp.

plug in all required connectors

Connect power, ground, accessory on the radio

you should be ready to tune the system now.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
i think that it is apparent, but i also did this for a living for quite a few years. Google will almost certainly have this answers for you as well but ill give a summary of how the wiring should be done.

from the radio connect RCA cables to the 4 channel amp. This is your low level signal into the amplifier (if your amp supports high level input you can do that too if you like, that is up to you and there are good and bad reasons for both options)

From the 4 channel amp to the harness, connect speed wire to each of the 8 outputs on the amp, run the wire up to the radio cavity, and connect it to the color coded speaker wires that plug into 1 of the 2 ports shown in the picture above. Alternately you can omit that harness all together and hardwire the speed wire into the factory wiring, but running through the pac module should be fine unless your are exceeding 50 watts per speaker, which if memory serves is all the module is rated to pass through it. If you are exceeding that you need to hardware the speed wire into the factory speaker wires behind the radio.

You need to run the blue/white wire from the radio to the amp, there is a blue wire in the 9 wire that is intended for this, connect the blue/white at the radio to the blue wire in the speed wire, and the other end of the blue wire to the remote input on the amp, connect power and ground on the amp.

plug in all required connectors

Connect power, ground, accessory on the radio

you should be ready to tune the system now.
Thank you.
yeah - I meant the speed wire, where I connect that. I know how to plug in the rest. But, since I am bypassing a portion of the factory system, I just want to make sure I do it right so nothing gets effed up.

The Rockford 4 channel amp I will use is 50w RMS per channel, so it should be fine to run through the PAC unit. Going through the PAC unit allows the Onstar to work properly, right?

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY (LBZ tuned) Crew Cab Short Box SLT 4x4: Air Dog II-4G, Hummer H2 chrome wheels, Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT 285/70R17, Denali headlights with Morimoto mini H1 7.0 projector retrofit, Morimoto 90mm LED fog lights, 2Stroke LED high beam bulbs, All On Mod, tow mirrors, Starlite 5 tunes, DSP5 switch, CTS2 monitor, Homelink overhead center console, full audio system
2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:37 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisn1 View Post
Thank you.
yeah - I meant the speed wire, where I connect that. I know how to plug in the rest. But, since I am bypassing a portion of the factory system, I just want to make sure I do it right so nothing gets effed up.

The Rockford 4 channel amp I will use is 50w RMS per channel, so it should be fine to run through the PAC unit. Going through the PAC unit allows the Onstar to work properly, right?

im not 100% on the onstar just because you have an 06, which would have been analog and discontinued. There was a conversion for them to the new digital system but those early onstar systems are kind of an anomaly, ive seen very very few that were operational even before the radio swap. However yes, it SHOULD work if you go through the harness. if you do not go through the harness though it wont work for sure.

post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:41 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The wire colors on the input harness to the pac module will be color coded the same as the wires on the speed wire, so you just need to connect them 1 to 1, i would solder and heatshrink, or butt connect the harness. Both options are fine, butt connectors are faster, easier, and require less tools and skills, but they are kinda ugly. The soldered harness is much cleaner but required more time, soldering skills and more materials.

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I got everything installed!
I am very happy with all of the pieces I have purchased for this build.
I did initially struggle with the Rockford amps.. when I went through their setting up for clipping, it didn't make any sense. It had me stop at 9 volts input.. but I couldn't even hear the sub. Called Crutchfield, and they told me I could turn that way down. The Kenwood puts out 5 volts preamp signal. I have them at 2 now to get some noise out of the speakers.
Only thing I am struggling with now is to decide if I let the 4 channel amp send only high pass signal to the four door speakers, or leave it on AP for all pass.

Here's a couple pics of the amp rack I built, and install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_185322.jpg (41.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_190007.jpg (58.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_185939.jpg (51.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_190015.jpg (53.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191005_195533.jpg (45.9 KB, 30 views)

2016 Polaris RZR S 1000

Last edited by polarisn1; 10-19-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the rest of the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191006_184548.jpg (63.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191009_212848.jpg (64.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191009_213011.jpg (58.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191016_173542.jpg (29.7 KB, 31 views)

2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Nice job man! Looks like a nice clean install!

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
Nice job man! Looks like a nice clean install!
Thanks! It definitely took a lot of time to do it right, but I am really happy with how it turned out.

2016 Polaris RZR S 1000
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Looks good. Personally the way i have always tuned amps is to put on a series of songs across several genres that im very familiar with, turn the radio volume up to 75% and then adjust the gain output on the amp until it clips, then dial the gain back a little. That gives you some head room in case a song comes on that's really quiet. I would tune the door speakers with the sub turned off, and i would tune them with the amp in highpass mode at something around 60-80 hz. Filters are not a clean cut, so a filter that cuts everything at 80 hz will still play lower than that, just at a steeply reduced level. so if your sub amp is set around the same, you will get some cross over between the speakers at the point where the high and low pass meet. once you get the door speakers sounding good, turn the sub on, and tune that, which should be much easier. Then give everything a listen to and make fine adjustments as needed.

NOTE: if you have access to an RTA, there are better ways to do this, but i am assuming that you, like 99.99999% of the people on this forum do not own an RTA so the above is the best way to tune the system. Should you for some reason have an RTA laying around that would be more ideal to tune the system.

Also, not that it matters at this point, but you do not need those speaker brackets. They are not the correct bracket for that truck anyway. Wont hurt you to leave them in there though so long as the speakers not rubbing on the back of the door panel.
polarisn1 likes this.

Last edited by J83; 10-22-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode