Switchbacks burning out after months of operation? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Gauges, Electronics and Wiring. A place to discuss electronic / wiring issues and what gauges, audio, video, nav systems, lights, ect. are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Switchbacks burning out after months of operation?

3 out of my 4 turn signal switchback led bulbs have recently “burned out”. 1 by 1 over the last week. Tonight, the 3rd bulb burned out, and then minutes later my driver side boost auto switchback mirror LED strip quit functioning partially. It still blinks orange when I press the key fob but when it’s supposed to switch to white, it shows dim white for a half a second and then shows nothing. Passenger mirror is still functioning fine.

When the first turn signal bulb burned out, I switched in a known good bulb and it worked fine, which made me think I had a bad bulb. But now that so many other lights are having issues it seems I’ve got a wiring issue.

I dread pulling these headlights out and inspecting the wiring but I’m guessing that’s what this is gonna take. Open to any advice for troubleshooting. Thanks

2013 GMC 2500 Denali HD
PPEI tuned
5" AFE exhaust
AirDog II 4G 165
S&S sportsman cp3
CTS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP-29 View Post
3 out of my 4 turn signal switchback led bulbs have recently “burned out”. 1 by 1 over the last week. Tonight, the 3rd bulb burned out, and then minutes later my driver side boost auto switchback mirror LED strip quit functioning partially. It still blinks orange when I press the key fob but when it’s supposed to switch to white, it shows dim white for a half a second and then shows nothing. Passenger mirror is still functioning fine.

When the first turn signal bulb burned out, I switched in a known good bulb and it worked fine, which made me think I had a bad bulb. But now that so many other lights are having issues it seems I’ve got a wiring issue.

I dread pulling these headlights out and inspecting the wiring but I’m guessing that’s what this is gonna take. Open to any advice for troubleshooting. Thanks

where did you get the bulbs and led strip? are they high quality stuff or amazon ebay specials? its really unlikely to be a wiring issue unless you have modified the factory wiring to install these lights. You may want to test the alternator though, excessive ripple could cause damage to the LED's or there driver circuit depending on how the bulbs are wired up.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The switchback turn signal bulbs are morimoto from the retrofit source so they’re high quality bulbs. The alternator was replaced sometime last year with one of advance auto’s lifetime warranty units. The only wiring that was modified are the harnesses that connect to the headlight housings. I had to splice the wire from the mirrors into the turn signal wire on the headlight for the lights on the mirrors to have power and function. This was done well over a year ago though.

I added the resistors into the harnesses once I I put the morimoto bulbs into my turn signal sockets. That’s the only wiring mods I had to do

2013 GMC 2500 Denali HD
PPEI tuned
5" AFE exhaust
AirDog II 4G 165
S&S sportsman cp3
CTS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:
The 3rd bulb that I thought had “burned out” is functioning this morning, and the mirror switchback led is functioning. So now I know the lights themselves are fine.

Seems like it could be a bad ground?

2013 GMC 2500 Denali HD
PPEI tuned
5" AFE exhaust
AirDog II 4G 165
S&S sportsman cp3
CTS2
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:46 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP-29 View Post
Update:
The 3rd bulb that I thought had “burned out” is functioning this morning, and the mirror switchback led is functioning. So now I know the lights themselves are fine.

Seems like it could be a bad ground?

Ill buy that, it wouldent be the first bad headlight ground to cause issues. Im assuming the trucks not showing a bulb out indicator or anything right? Maybe your resistor failed and the truck detecting theres an open circuit?

Mirimoto stuff is good quality, i would highly doubt the lights are the issue. if it was just 1 bulb, maybe, but 3 mirimoto bulbs did not die at the same time, the odds seem very very low to me at least.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
No indication of a burned out bulb. No hyper flash either.

2013 GMC 2500 Denali HD
PPEI tuned
5" AFE exhaust
AirDog II 4G 165
S&S sportsman cp3
CTS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in