New stripe on the hood - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
I agree but if someone doesn't want different opinions then it shouldn't be asked.
I never said I didn't want opinions. I asked for them. There's a difference between offering constructive criticism, and being a dick bag.

2019 3500HD LTZ, silver ice, CC/LB DRW, 4x4.
2008 Lance 1181 Camper.
1993 Reinell Offshore 23'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:26 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
I still wanna see more pictures of this at different angles...

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 666,000 miles

2013 CrewCab and chassis with 9' Hillsboro aluminum flatbed 84,000 miles. - Sold Sept 2019
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevor View Post
I still wanna see more pictures of this at different angles...

2019 3500HD LTZ, silver ice, CC/LB DRW, 4x4.
2008 Lance 1181 Camper.
1993 Reinell Offshore 23'.

Last edited by SS_Sean; 10-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:52 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I want to see more pictures of the trex lol
J83 likes this.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:34 PM

Well I'm a big fan of the old SS stripes on the GM's from back in the day too. This single stripe looks very good on the hood. Much better than the duals.
That's my opinion and the rest of you are all just flat-out wrong!!

Jeff

2006 GMC 2500 SLT LLY CCSB 4x4 - Bone Stock
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:34 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Phony black panels came stock. Pain to clean. I like the stripe on the OP's hood. Clean design and it fits the hood well. Did you paint it or is it a decal?

2019 Chevrolet 4500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed
2018 Chevrolet 1500 CC 4X4 High Country 6.2 liter
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed--SOLD
2011 Peterbilt 337 hauler with 360HP 8.3 Cummins--SOLD
1957 GMC 1 ton flatbed with 22K original miles.
3 different Kubotas
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC: 2011 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 and 2013 3500HD ex. cab 4X4-- all sold.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambor View Post
Phony black panels came stock.?
Wouldn't real, working vents on the back of the hood be good for the motor; provide increased air-flow? And if that is a "yes", has anyone tried it? I'd like to do it but looks like I'd have to cut holes/slits, etc. in an area that gives strength to the hood hinges. ? ? ? ?

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:15 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
Wouldn't real, working vents on the back of the hood be good for the motor; provide increased air-flow? And if that is a "yes", has anyone tried it? I'd like to do it but looks like I'd have to cut holes/slits, etc. in an area that gives strength to the hood hinges. ? ? ? ?

the front end of the truck is very open, and is designed to wash air through the engine bay and out of the truck so adding louvers to the hood may actually detract from the intended airflow through the engine bay. Over heating of the engine is not really a common issue with the exception of one specific series of duramax engine, and even then its only under fairly harsh conditions. Consider also that the engine needs to be up to a certain temperature to run efficiently, so if you were to cool the engine bay too much, you may actually increase engine wear and emissions while decreasing mileage.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:34 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
the front end of the truck is very open, and is designed to wash air through the engine bay and out of the truck so adding louvers to the hood may actually detract from the intended airflow through the engine bay. Over heating of the engine is not really a common issue with the exception of one specific series of duramax engine, and even then its only under fairly harsh conditions. Consider also that the engine needs to be up to a certain temperature to run efficiently, so if you were to cool the engine bay too much, you may actually increase engine wear and emissions while decreasing mileage.
Yep, you live in Alaska, the only state where over-cooling is a big issue! But ya, it isn't really helpful to alter the air flow under the hood.

But that brings up another issue. It used to be a highly desirable thing to louver everything on a vehicle. Hoods, fenders, trunk lids, roofs, you name it. It was a fad that went away but might still have some uses today. Purely from an aesthetic point of view I could see doing that to a truck. It's no my thing but others might like it. One thing to keep in mind though is that the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. That is why it is the one place that gets factory louvers on many vehicles to become the inlet for the HVAC. You can't vent to it effectively.

Now back to the OP's question, which I think was more of a request for kudos, not criticism. It was more along the lines or "Look at what I did mom!"

To that end I'd say, "You done good, boy." I think the stripe looks very nice. It fits well, is well done and to my eye is aesthetically pleasing. Add to that the reduction in glare off the hood and the increased ability to spot the truck in a parking lot full of similar white trucks and I think it is a winner from every angle. Of course the camper helps to find the truck in a parking lot but that's another thing.

However, no matter what you do, if you ask for opinions you should expect some negative responses. As long as you like it, what difference does it make?
407driver likes this.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
Yep, you live in Alaska, the only state where over-cooling is a big issue! But ya, it isn't really helpful to alter the air flow under the hood.

But that brings up another issue. It used to be a highly desirable thing to louver everything on a vehicle. Hoods, fenders, trunk lids, roofs, you name it. It was a fad that went away but might still have some uses today. Purely from an aesthetic point of view I could see doing that to a truck. It's no my thing but others might like it. One thing to keep in mind though is that the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. That is why it is the one place that gets factory louvers on many vehicles to become the inlet for the HVAC. You can't vent to it effectively.

Now back to the OP's question, which I think was more of a request for kudos, not criticism. It was more along the lines or "Look at what I did mom!"

To that end I'd say, "You done good, boy." I think the stripe looks very nice. It fits well, is well done and to my eye is aesthetically pleasing. Add to that the reduction in glare off the hood and the increased ability to spot the truck in a parking lot full of similar white trucks and I think it is a winner from every angle. Of course the camper helps to find the truck in a parking lot but that's another thing.

However, no matter what you do, if you ask for opinions you should expect some negative responses. As long as you like it, what difference does it make?

yea, up here your more worried about restricting the flow than improving it.... most diesels run one of these for about 8 months a year. speaking of which.... i should order one for my LML... dont think the LB7 one will work.

I also like the stripe on the OP truck, breaks up the light paint a bit, looks good.
407driver likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode