I blew it up and bought a Ford. - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
I am going to be 80 in a couple of months. “I drive it like I stole it”. Translation......I drive defensively, both to avoid accidents & not attract attention. That means when some smart a$$ kid with more money than brains floors his truck to show off while passing me I am happy for the repair shop getting their next major job....
People with a bad attitude need to just stay in the right lane because the left is for "passing only" on most interstates. I have people pass me all the time and I am driving 80-85 in West Texas.

2020 GMC Denali 2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:19 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
People with a bad attitude need to just stay in the right lane because the left is for "passing only" on most interstates. I have people pass me all the time and I am driving 80-85 in West Texas.
=======================================
Couldn't agree more - fortunately, at least here on the portions of Interstate 40 & 10 that I drive on, most people are courteous & show good lane discipline.

A scary opposite is when I am going west, I-40 ends at Barstow, and pick up the I-15 going into the Los Angeles basin. The Californians, at least in that area, are a pretty wild bunch - following too closely, passing on the right at extreme speeds, and acting like a directional signal indicating the need to change lanes, is an offer for combat!

And yes, I agree - staying in the right lanes except when passing should be mandatory - staying out in the "inner" lanes and not keeping up with the flow of traffic generates what engineers call "traffic friction"...increases the likelihood of accidents.

I personally don't like to cruise much over 65 mph when towing, for several reasons, having to do with trailer control, tire and wheel issues.

Yes, I have driven passenger cars in west Texas, where there are sections where 80-85 mph is not particularly dangerous. Once you get above that speed, and equipment failure and/or need for a panic stop is, well...let's just say "not funny".

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; at this writing have 93,000+, bone-stock except for a few things to increase reliability - convert to CP3. CAT oil filter with nipple installed. Removed one leaf for smoother ride when "empty" - air-shocks to re-gain correct rear elevation when heavy "bumper-pull" towing. Sold to me with round wheels and round tires. I am happy with round wheels & round tires. Went into "limp mode" at the wrong time. Had the DPF cleaned by a professional DPF cleaning service so pollution system is bone stock and fully operable....well..it was until...…..
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:21 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
If you are going to go the speed limit or slower, stay in the right lane.
======================================
Couldn't agree more - some states have that in their vehicle codes. Wish it was mandatory and rigidly enforced.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; at this writing have 93,000+, bone-stock except for a few things to increase reliability - convert to CP3. CAT oil filter with nipple installed. Removed one leaf for smoother ride when "empty" - air-shocks to re-gain correct rear elevation when heavy "bumper-pull" towing. Sold to me with round wheels and round tires. I am happy with round wheels & round tires. Went into "limp mode" at the wrong time. Had the DPF cleaned by a professional DPF cleaning service so pollution system is bone stock and fully operable....well..it was until...…..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devan4823Wise View Post
I think you're in the wrong place. If I have somewhere to be, you're doing 25 under and your inconsiderate self won't pull to the shoulder to let everyone by. I'm passing you.
==========================================
I think YOU are "in the wrong place". You seem to have some kind of "reading comprehension disability". Perhaps you didn't see the part where I said I like to avoid attracting attention. Going significantly slower (or faster) than the normal flow of traffic is an invitation for law enforcement to hassle you.

I havnt seen anyone in here advocating going slow/impeding the normal flow of traffic. I always stay in the right hand lane except when passing.

There are times on our two-lane roads going up long up-grades when I can see a car or two coming up behind me. (all of you guys pulling "wide loads" have extentions on your side-mirrors...I hope...!) so I pull over to get out of their way, so they can pass without risk.

I think it should be a matter of law for people in that situation to pull over, rather than put the following vehicle in the dangerous situation of having to go into the opposing lane to pass.

As I noted elsewhere, I don't like to cruise at much over 60-65, for a number of reasons. Once over that speed, wind resistance on my trailers starts severely cutting into my fuel consumption. And then there is the question of trailer tires & wheels, and what would happen if you had to make a "panic stop".

Last edited by 6686L; 01-02-2020 at 10:36 AM.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

"May I do a little preaching here?"

You're just parading around this thread on a high horse. This post was about a blown up lly and you wanted to turn it in to a defensive driving class. If you think I was and I quote "a dumbass punk with more money than brains" because I was passing people then cool, keep thinking that but your little pearls of wisdom are wasted here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2008 LMM CCSB
EFI by ATP
6" Cognito w/ 35x12.50r17s...Deceased
2011 ECSB LML...SOLD
2015 LML CCSB... SOLD
2005 LLY CCLB
EFI By GDP
Garrett 3794va Powermax
PPE Trans
MBRP 3" DP
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:52 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Dang kids! You make me wanna drive 35 in the left lane all day with my left turn signal blinking...

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
“I drive it like I stole it”. Translation......I drive defensively, both to avoid accidents & not attract attention.
That’s totally not what “drive it like ya stole it” means Don’t believe me just watch an episode of LivePD

16’ C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled/Moto930s/35”s, Kennedy, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devan4823Wise View Post
Update, I hated the damn ford and Bought a RAM. I'm not brand biased. I buy based on the deal I can get according to the value of the truck. But I have to say I'm impressed with it. It's much quieter mpgs are better it rides better, the uconnect system is funky but whatever.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You still digging the ram? I struggle with the wheel well design. I think the ford looks better. Which tranny did you go with and do you like it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode