Took oil cap off while engine running.... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
General Discussion General Diesel Discussion.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By 407driver
  • 1 Post By MIkey52
  • 1 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Took oil cap off while engine running....

Hello, my boyfriend has a 2004 duramax diesel..he's not good with online stuff so I'm here asking for a lil insight on what happened today to his truck..he said he left the engine running and popped the oil cap to add a quart and when he did it made a loud pop noise and motor shut off..water started leaking out TREMENDOUSLY and the motor wont turn over now..is this a head gasket issue
and possible water pump now or a more underlying issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 PM

welcome to the site. Clobber your BF over the head with a frying pan for his stupidity. Just kidding. We all make mistakes. Hopefully someone can provide some insight.

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:47 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Why add oil when it's running....unless it's burning thru oil faster than Diesel fuel and you know you won't be checking the dip stick for proper level?

As to the pop and gushing coolant, dropping the filler cap into the turning fan....?

The starter won't turn over the engine? Or, it just won't start up?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I think there is more to this story.

Just removing the oil filler cap should not in and of itself cause what you describe.

Also many questions, where was the coolant coming from?

Does it not turn over, as in no power to starter or hydraulic locked (trying to turnover but won't spin)?

etc.
DMAXfirefighter likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:29 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Yeahhhhh, were going to need more info.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:44 AM

The pop and water going every where sounds like he opened the coolant filler cover not the oil filler cover.
GMC-GDM likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
GMC-GDM likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Something is not right in Smartsville.

2016 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax Crew Cab LTZ Z71 Shortbox ''Stock''

2017 Chevrolet 3500 HD 4x4 Duramax Crew Cab Long Box LTZ Dually ''Stock''
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:47 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvndljr8 View Post
Hello, my boyfriend has a 2004 duramax diesel..he's not good with online stuff so I'm here asking for a lil insight on what happened today to his truck..he said he left the engine running and popped the oil cap to add a quart and when he did it made a loud pop noise and motor shut off..water started leaking out TREMENDOUSLY and the motor wont turn over now..is this a head gasket issue
and possible water pump now or a more underlying issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thank you

removing the oil cap should not cause that problem, however, i would not pour oil into a running engine... The water pump is on the front right of the block at the bottom next to the balancer when looking at the engine from the front of the truck. I would look at and around that for damage. maybe the thick cold oil pouring over the top end caused the waterpump gear to come off and popped the water pump seal? kind of a long shot but im not sure what else would cause it. Perhaps the water pump gear got lodged somewhere inside the housing and is preventing the engine from turning over? again, long shot but without more info to go on its the best i have.

I would really.... really hope he did not open the coolant cap and pour oil into it since its like 3 feet away from the oil cap and full of red coolant but that still wouldent explain the issue. It would cause long term problems, not instant problems.

If he did actually open the coolant cap instead of the oil cap.... i would strongly recommend he finds a good diesel shop and lets them do the work from now on. The oil cap is dead center on the front of the engine block between the alternator and the AC compressor. You can see it in this picture. You can also see the water pump in the bottom right corner of the engine.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 10-24-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:27 PM

Yea it says 710 right on it

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode